The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by ton »

with a big pile of stuff for a winter of fatbiking.

forclaz down jacket -18
three quarter down pants
keela base layer
keela mid layer
five tens from evans
quechua windproof trousers
silk base leggings
mudhugger fat front guard and fat rear extension
aeropress coffeemaker from singletrack shop
ergon thick grips
lomo waterproof framebag
Boab

Post by Boab »

... and dropped off the rest of the stuff I need to rebuild the gravel bike with; new tyres, tubeless values, bar tape and pedals. Plus some more High5 Zero tablets, and some waxed thread with a 🤬 off big needle for this weekend.

Still waiting on the brake pads that failed to be delivered on Saturday turning up. Which is slightly annoying as that package also had some full finger gloves for this weekend.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Thanks to everything coming so late before the BB200, I'm now having to send a bunch back without having even really looked it over properly.

Some online stores have properly shocking return terms. Definitely pays to check before ordering.

I can recommend cyclestore as one that's very much in the other direction. 1 year to return (unopened etc of course). Properly good service.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

A fancy lightbulb, a lead with a lamp holder on the end. Hmmm, I have a project in mind with a spare wheel and a block of wood…
Boab

Post by Boab »

... and dropped off some waterproof socks and a bottom headset bearing. Anyone know what I've done with the old bearing so I can check they're the same...? FFS!

Bollocks, thought I'd bought the socks with the Hydrostop barrier. Best try and find those VeloToez cuffs and shave the legs... 🙄

EDIT: And another one has finally dropped off some stuff that should've been delivered on Saturday. I now have everything I need to rebuild the gravel bike, but lets get through the weekend first. Pretty sure I ordered black gloves, but the order confirmation says otherwise... 🤦
Last edited by Boab on Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Boab wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:29 pm ... and dropped off some waterproof socks and a bottom headset bearing. Anyone know what I've done with the old bearing so I can check they're the same...? FFS!

Bollocks, thought I'd bought the socks with the Hydrostop barrier. Best try and find those VeloToez cuffs and shave the legs... 🙄
I'm still convinced I'm gonna give it a go. Main thing I'm thinking about is shoes and proofing of the toes. The linger I can keep em dry, the better I reckon.

Might take 2 pairs with some goretex shoes/boots. Then once one pair is saturated I'd use a bin bag or two, to proptectthe new socks from the soggy shoes. Hope the Raynhams work well for you Bob and hope you have a lovely Type 1 fun ride :-bd
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

voodoo_simon wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:30 pm A fancy lightbulb, a lead with a lamp holder on the end. Hmmm, I have a project in mind with a spare wheel and a block of wood…
Are you making a mobile 'magic lantern' to entertain other ditch sleepers? :smile:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Earlier this week, but with a second hand Bike Friday 20" folding bike. Looking forward to putting it together and getting out for a spin on it this afternoon when the weather clears up, and then dreaming up some public transport-based adventures to take it on :cool:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

and dropped off a new running watch - now contemplating whether I should I go our in the rain to give it a test.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

ton wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:49 pm with a big pile of stuff for a winter of fatbiking.

forclaz down jacket -18
three quarter down pants
keela base layer
keela mid layer
five tens from evans
silk base leggings
ergon thick grips
lomo waterproof framebag
What are the down pants?
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Discs, pads & jockey wheels for the Big Bro :-bd
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

A replacement cat flap so Jan Åga can finally get in the house
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

....a new pair of wheels - DT swiss 1900 (370 hubs and 500g, 30mm wide rims). Arrived already taped with tubeless valves, and only £200.

Not light or especially bling, but going on Solaris trail bumbler - I'll go with strong and cheap (and reliable hopefully)

:grin: Test ride tomorrow
psling

Post by psling »

Dave Barter wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:19 pm A replacement cat flap so Jan Åga can finally get in the house
I'm 'babysitting' a couple of 9 week old kittens at the moment. I think I'd be better off riding through a thicket of brambles and nettles... :shock: :lol:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

… with a nice embroidered badge.

Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Last of the Five Tens turned up, which wasn't ideal as I was away.

I think based on my original order date, I have like two days to try them on / return them.
RIP

Post by RIP »

thenorthwind wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:06 am Earlier this week, but with a second hand Bike Friday 20" folding bike. Looking forward to putting it together and getting out for a spin on it this afternoon when the weather clears up, and then dreaming up some public transport-based adventures to take it on :cool:
Keen to hear about the upcoming exploits :-bd

(PS. Are you allowed to ride it on any other day of the week?)
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

RIP wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:26 pm
thenorthwind wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:06 am Earlier this week, but with a second hand Bike Friday 20" folding bike. Looking forward to putting it together and getting out for a spin on it this afternoon when the weather clears up, and then dreaming up some public transport-based adventures to take it on :cool:

I think Joe Cruz has one for travelling and he really rates it too :-bd Look a great bike
redefined_cycles

Hyppy wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:46 pm … with a nice embroidered badge.

Gorgeous
redefined_cycles

fatbikephil wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:29 pm With a set of TRP Slate G4 brakes - £89 from Merlin. Seem pretty good - I'd got them for the lowside but I'm thinking of bunging them on the Jones as the front shimano caliper is leaking....
You tried these brakes in anger yet Phil. Still contemplating trying these for the new build rather than continuing with the SLX (not that they're giving me any problem currently). Keen to hear any further thoughts!
ton

Post by ton »

Post by voodoo_simon » Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:16 am

ton wrote: ↑Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:49 pm
with a big pile of stuff for a winter of fatbiking.

forclaz down jacket -18
three quarter down pants
keela base layer
keela mid layer
five tens from evans
silk base leggings
ergon thick grips
lomo waterproof framebag
What are the down pants?

these mate.

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/stoic-moun ... 8012299660..
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:44 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:29 pm With a set of TRP Slate G4 brakes - £89 from Merlin. Seem pretty good - I'd got them for the lowside but I'm thinking of bunging them on the Jones as the front shimano caliper is leaking....
You tried these brakes in anger yet Phil. Still contemplating trying these for the new build rather than continuing with the SLX (not that they're giving me any problem currently). Keen to hear any further thoughts!
No as the back one is playing up - feels like it's pumped up. Going to faff some more this weekend and fit them to the Krampus for a proper trial
redefined_cycles

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:10 pm
No as the back one is playing up - feels like it's pumped up. Going to faff some more this weekend and fit them to the Krampus for a proper trial
You mean the TRP are playing up Phil. Or the Shimanos. Hope you get it sorted, thanks.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:25 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:10 pm
You mean the TRP are playing up Phil. Or the Shimanos. Hope you get it sorted, thanks.
TRP's or rather just the back one....
Front one worked spot on so hoping to get it sorted.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

RIP wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:26 pm

I haven't dared try it yet :lol: Quite apt that its first ride out was on a Friday... The 13th, no less. Sadly haven't had time to do much with it since.

It feels reassuringly normal to ride. The only thing is the steering feels quite twitchy, particularly with the wide flat bars I put on for the first test ride. It came with some drops too, so I'm going to try them, possibly with a longer stem, which should reduce that effect a bit. Hanging some bivvy kit off the front should help too :grin: