Gravadventuretouringroad type bike. Help required selecting

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rapideye

Gravadventuretouringroad type bike. Help required selecting

Post by Rapideye »

So, after a few years of cycling around on my hardtail, I'm in a position to acquire a new bike. My needs for this bike is for commuting on road and bike trails, to ride around back roads where I live, to bikepack longer routes where it'd be a better fit than the hardtail and generally have a nice bike to be able to enjoy owning and riding.

I live in Norfolk but try and head to Scotland when I can. I'll be doing more of this over the years. Obviously, two very different areas and terrains. Using the hardtail around here on back roads can drag a bit. I'm eyeing longer routes where I think a bike more suited to riding longer, faster and, hopefully, a bit easier. I also want to head elsewhere, so want the option to be able to switch bikes depending on where I head to.

So, another one of those never-ending questions...what bike to go for? For a while now, I'd occasionally have a look at the different Sonder Camino's thinking that'd be the one to go for. Now, I'm ready to select, I'm looking the other options and what I've looked at over the last few days have been the Diverge, Kona Sutra, Libre and Rove, Whyte gravel options (my hardtail is a Whyte), Temple, Salsa's and a lot more. I'm open to any suggestion.

I think I'm leaning towards a bike that is slightly towards the road end of gravel than the hardtail end of gravel. This is because that would suit my occasional commute and my local routes better. But tbh I'm not set in that. I'm not fast, I don't chase times or miles. I think I'd like to be able to add mudguards in winter and maybe a rear rack for the commute to better store laptop etc. At the moment I use my bikepacking bags for the commute but sometimes need to use a backpack for the laptop.

Now, when considering the technical side of bikes, whether geometry, gearing or wheels/tyre combinations I'll admit to being pretty green on all this. I'm open to having two sets of wheels for the road and trails and open to either 1 by or 2 by on the front. As gearing goes, I'd like to ensure I have a comfortable range of gears to choose from but I know there are multiple options to choose from on this. The Temple bike option was a 3-by...consider or avoid? I did like the look of this though, probably suckered by the aesthetics. I also was drawn to the Kona Sutra.

Price-wise I'm looking at between £1300-£1700. I'd like to take advantage of the cycle to work scheme, especially if the price is the top end. I'd consider an exceptional bike or deal slightly my top limit if the scheme could be used. Of course, I would be happy if it's at the cheaper end too. Frame material...not too fussed. Happy to have steel, titanium would be nice but can be persuaded either way.

Sorry for the lengthy post. Probably too much detail here but help and advice appreciated.
redefined_cycles

Re: Gravadventuretouringroad type bike. Help required selecting

Post by redefined_cycles »

I'd be going for something from these lot. Steel too so alot greener for you and the planet. Hopefully the outlet stor sizes work for you. I reckon c2w scheme should work on their store too :-bd

https://fairlightcycles.com/product-category/outlet/
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

I'd work out the max tyre size you will want to fit and work from there as it will eliminate a lot
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Pipedream alice? kind of like a mk 3 Fargo with slightly easier angles. Pretty good value and can be run with flat or drop bars.
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

+1 for Fairlight. I’ve just bought a Faran and it’s superb.
ton

Post by ton »

something mega value for money. something from Spa cycles.

their Rove is vaguely exciting in steel.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I've just ordered a planet x tempest on cycle to work and I kinda wanted a road based bike with big clearance for off road stuff
I currently have a planet x london road which is also great tbh and has 40mm tyre clearance on it they also do that in titanium and that's a bit cheaper than the tempest and they also do a goldrush that's seems a bit more mtb based than road all seem good value imho and they've changed loads of bits on it for me , it's getting built tomorrow so I'll find out soon enough, very exited
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Thanks for the replies so far.

Ton - at first look the Spa options looked really interesting but they don't do C2W, so that puts me off them. Shame as they had great choice. I'd never heard of them. That's the benefit of asking here...to get help and direction from people who know a lot more than me.

Fairlight - Also look really appealing, but tbh the price is more than I wanted to commit to. I do like that they're a smaller manufacturer though.

Pipedream - Much the same as Fairlight. Looks like I'd have to put a bit of effort in on selecting the build. I haven't got that nous, I'm afraid. I can't even say for sure what material to have the bike in...nor whether to go with 1-by or 2-by...or 3-by! Jeez! What a div!

Planet X Tempest - Yes, looks sexy and value can't be ignored. Something about Planet X kind of put me off. Not sure why. Maybe I read some negative reviews before. It does need to be in the shortlist though, I think. I do wonder whether I need the extra gearing range of a 2-by but I can see that it can be changed.

Bamboo - I'd seen your bike before and was intrigued. I might grow my own :grin:

Any other contributions appreciated.
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Just to say, the bamboo build I linked to is their newer lugged version which is a simpler process, and allows for bigger tyres. It's what I'll go for next (though that won't be for a while hopefully).

Don't know if they do C2W though.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Rapideye I've heard horror stories but this will be my 6th bike from them with zero issues, as I say they've swapped alsorts for me for this build, and if I don't like it I can send it back within 30 days to swap or refund it so can't say fairer than that
I've gone for a single ring set up but wasn't sure as my current bike has 2x11 sram and I love it the new one does have a bit lower gear at top and bottom so I just have to hope I don't mind the bigger jumps but it should be fine and it's electronic shifting so that'll be nice :)
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Ok. Sold on the Tempest. I'd been eyeing up the Sonder Camino in titanium but kept thinking it was a stretch too far. This comes in at a much more acceptable price and as I can get the C2W, even better. So, submitted the claim at work today. Hopefully, it'll get sorted quickly and before I head on holiday.

Now the next intriguing thing was that, on signing up, Planet X have sent a 15% discount code. I tried it at checkout and it looks as if they're giving me this off the bike. If so, that's pretty great and worth £240 off. Now, I've already requested the £1600 via C2W, so I'm thinking I add an upgrade...maybe carbon wheels? They only have one option at £500 (listed at £700 when bought separately) with a 15% discount off them too. So, in total, I'd be getting bike and carbon wheels for £220 more than I would've paid for the bike. I'm assuming PX will let me pay the difference. What do people think, assuming this isn't a mistake...are they worth it?
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Well I picked it up today and its a thing of beauty shame I'm working til Thursday doh... so no ride other than a spin up the road
I nearly got the fork with anything mounts on but I'm so glad I didn't as it looks much nicer without them imho
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

Rapideye wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:17 pm What do people think, assuming this isn't a mistake...are they worth it?
Looks like they've only got the 55s in stock, yeah? Personally, I reckon that's too deep for the 'graveladventuretouring' of your 'graveladventuretouringroad' description. I've got 46mm carbon and while they're nice and whooshy they don't half catch a sidewind at times. Aside from that they do feel harsh on the rough stuff, and I've gone back to alloy rims for just messing about northern gravel-type riding.
ripio

Post by ripio »

Genesis Fugio 10 worth a look.

https://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/genesis- ... vargn23300

I have the previous 2023 model and it's great.
The 2024 model comes with fatter and more off road oriented tyres, but you could always swap them out for more road friendly tyres for most of your local riding and keep the Mezcals for off road trips.
Or get a set of 700c wheels and tyres too.

£400 cheaper than they were selling last year's model for too, although I paid £1299 for mine as it was discounted
Last edited by ripio on Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Thanks for that, Ripio. That's a nice looking bike.

Yes, Hyppy, when I looked they were the only option. My thinking was that as they were quite expensive to take advantage of the deal. I've since slept on it and thought I'd be better living with it for a while before thinking about changing. Just getting carried away tbh. I'll have a at what other components I can add.
BridlewayBimbler

Post by BridlewayBimbler »

I've got a Vitus Substance that I picked up in the Chain Reaction/Wiggle sale with over 300 quid off.

Its only the humble Sora version so it's not some superlight racing snake at 11kg. :???:

However.......... it is a solid, comfortable and dependable bike with sensible geometry and gearing thst is quite happy on road or off road.

It takes up to 42mm 700c and I believe 50mm 650b tyres plus options for 1x or 2x.

lt will happily accept racks, full mudguards and multiple places to store bottles and other stuff.It also happliy accepts WAY too much luggage. without too much fuss. :grin:

Obviously you can't try before you buy, but I did a lot of research and also knew soneone with a higher spec Substance model that I could try.

Worth a look I'd say? :-bd
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Tis a thing of beauty, now hads mudguards fitted
Attachments
Screenshot_20231027_072040_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231027_072040_Gallery.jpg (166.93 KiB) Viewed 5076 times
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Yes, very pretty! Wife's just dropped down the pecking order?

I've been in contact with them to order mine. Just gone for the GRX model with no upgrades other than a seat. They wouldn't honour the 15% discount and not because they are capitalist pigs but more because it wasn't on offer in the first place and using the C2W the deal is pretty good. Still...The Capitalist Pigs!

I'll buy a few other bits from them to add to it when it comes but I'll get some other components elsewhere. I'll just ride it for a while before deciding on a 2nd set of wheels, maybe titanium seapost, new bars etc. I think just having this bike is going to be a major change to my riding.

What mudguards did you go for?
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I initially ignored their suggestion of sks bluemels basic 55 and got sks edge al 55 but they wouldn't fit so went back for the basics and they fit perfectly
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Firestarter - what forks are they?

Build and shipping date for mine is the 5th of Dec. It'll be here in time for Xmas. That give me time to sort out other bits to have here before it arrives.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

The gravel ones I debated the ones with mounts but I'd probably never use them and they look ugly on a lovely bike lol
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

So, it turned up today, nearly a week early. Somehow, I ended up with the bikepacking forks which have the mounts. Yes, the ugly forks! :grin: I can't remember choosing those but whatever. Looks fine to me. I did spend a bit of time a while ago considering whether to get fork cages as I wanted a full frame bag. Now, I've got them, at least I can use them if needed.

Did take it out for a little spin at lunchtime. All pretty enjoyable. New tyres might be needed though, I think. Now, I can start picking up a few bits for it.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Nice one , id have probably got the ones with mounts had they had them when I initially ordered but as I was going to have to start messing around with the order amd I'd probably never use them I left it as it was
Enjoy mate it really is a nice bike
ootini

Post by ootini »