Gravel forks , anything mounts or not

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

firestarter

Gravel forks , anything mounts or not

Post by firestarter »

I've ordered a gravel bike for mainly road use but I was curious if you had 2 forks made by the same people would the strengthening added to fit mounts make it more harsh , same length width etc selcof btw it's popped up as an option but I'd probably never use them but I suppose they might be worth having if they don't negatively affect the ride cheers
sean_iow

Re: Gravel forks , anything mounts or not

Post by sean_iow »

I'd assume the forks are identical and the question is whether having holes in them for the mounts has weakened them?

Are there any weights for the forks to see if extra material has been added to the ones with the mounts?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

No there are not stated weights but they appear identical in other than the mounts , so I suppose yes they could indeed be weaker
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Are the mounts attached to the fork externally?
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

They look like just probably rivnut fixed like bottle bosses, with a 5kg limit per side they are the on one selcof ones
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

Both forks will be more than strong enough. Both will have gone through the same testing and will have passed. I'd be amazed if any difference in ride feel could be attributed to the additional bosses. I guess what I'm saying is that if you think you'd ever need the mounts and don't mind the aesthetics, then get the ones with the bosses.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Cheers
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Fwiw, I have anything cage type mounts on the fork on my gravel bike and have never used them (although I did do on my previous gravel frame). I like the idea of carrying stuff low down like that but the aero drag of having luggage out in the wind like that is significant imho. It would be much better to have the mounts on the seat stays or use a system like the old alu tailfin racks had imho.