Sleeping on it

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Loki

Sleeping on it

Post by Loki »

Hey all, I am due to be getting back out into the woods this November for my first bivvy in over 18 months, suffice to say I am a little excited, but I do need to pick up some new kit as I loaned mine forward to family to help get my nephews addicted as I am. Right now I am pondering sleep systems, in previous times I would have used a down bag, but on some pretty damp and miserable nights it has not performed as well as a synthetic bag may have. As time to replace my gear is ticking away and stocks of some things I have been looking at are almost impossible to find I am wondering if anyone can suggest any thing? only real requests, room to move inside as I am well, a fat fecker at the moment, and I am a side sleeper, I am quilt curious but uncertain, any help please?
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Sleeping on it

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As a quilt curious larger gent with a preference for side sleeping, you may want to look at the quilts from Sierra Designs. They're roomy with both plenty of length and width. Decent specs and very reasonable price wise. Can't recall using either of my Cumulus quilts since purchasing one.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Loki

Post by Loki »

Cheers Norm, looking at the Nitro 20 now, really liking the look from them, thank you :)
Simon K
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

As a fellow side sleeper, I'm a definite convert to quilts.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Yup, also a big fan of quilts.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Richard G wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:51 pm Yup, also a big fan of quilts.
Same. I've not missed a regular bag.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Cheers Norm, looking at the Nitro 20 now
I believe mine is an older model of the same thing with a different name - really can't fault it and I'm usually good at that :wink:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Interesting how Stu kinda rates his SD higher than his Cumulus quilt(s). They're much cheaper too. Wonder if they come in lower than 20F
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:41 pm Interesting how Stu kinda rates his SD higher than his Cumulus quilt(s). They're much cheaper too. Wonder if they come in lower than 20F
There were only two models - 20 or 35 degree (NB: Fahrenheit), IIRC.

I've not kept up with prices but I didn't think they were particularly cheap. Admittedly since Brexit etc Cumulus have become more expensive.

Would like to try one but too much gear already :roll:
redefined_cycles

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:52 am
redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:41 pm Interesting how Stu kinda rates his SD higher than his Cumulus quilt(s). They're much cheaper too. Wonder if they come in lower than 20F
There were only two models - 20 or 35 degree (NB: Fahrenheit), IIRC.

I've not kept up with prices but I didn't think they were particularly cheap. Admittedly since Brexit etc Cumulus have become more expensive.

Would like to try one but too much gear already :roll:
I'm thinking that I may sell the Tundra -5 which I got for about £400. Then with the proceeds buy a SD quilt :smile: Will try to just leave it in the brain as a random thought though.

Thanks Tim for the info, yes indeed it seems theyre still only the 2 models. Maybe cos as a -6 (extreme comfort) limit no-one in their right mind would want to spend a night in colder!
redefined_cycles

*Colder is not a place btw :-bd
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:38 pm *Colder is not a place btw :-bd
But Calder is!
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Interesting how Stu kinda rates his SD higher than his Cumulus quilt(s).
I'm not saying that I rate it any higher Shaf. Cumulus quilts are great and I have two. However, I do find the SD is that bit bigger and it also features a hood (of sorts), so I tend to find it that bit more user friendly. If I were needing to pack as light as possible, then I'd take a Cumulus.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Stu, I'm pretty sure that like me you have the original version of Cumulus quilts. The current versions are wider. They are also a different shape and you can unzip the footbox so quite a different beast.

If you wanted an extra long model you used to have to email them directly and work it out but they now have their quilts listed in their customisation tool so it's a lot easier these days. For reference I'm 1.8m tall and probably the maximum for the standard length.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
flyingpig

Post by flyingpig »

I'm looking to upgrade my sleep system after a bloody cold night in the mountain just after the strata river section on last weekend's BB200

I used tarp/bivvy with 3 season cheaper sleeping bag. I got a decent mat last year which has made a huge difference already from previous trips.

I am a side sleeper and like the idea of the SD quilts mentioned, feel too confined in bivvy and bag.

What do you guys use to keep dry in top with a quilt, obviously I'll have shelter but I'd usually use the bivvy under tarp but in the case of the quilt it kind of defeats the objective?

Looking to also upgrade from small tarp to tarptent, would this do the job?

Thank you
Paul
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've a Borah Gear bivy bag, actually we've each got one. They're a US "cottage" company but will ship here (might need to check post brexit). He'll do custom work to a point for free. The zips on ours go across the top and about halfway down one side so much easier to get in and out of. The material is mist/drizzle proof but won't handle rain so ideal for use under a tarp. Being Stateside it's actually intended for what they refer to as "cowboy camping", i.e. just sleeping out under the stars with the bivy bag keeping dew and condensation off you.

Would need to dig out the email trail but from memory the customs docket was for somewhat less than I actually paid :wink:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Thanks Stu for clarification. Seems excellent contender for my Tundra replacement.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I bought a Borah fairly recently, definitely post Brexit. Don't think I got stung for any customs charges either, though that may have been down to UK Customs trying to work out what on earth they were going to do with stuff arriving from the EU.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Quilt curious? - Yep, been there and out the other side with hours of sleep lost with a cold back
Side sleeper? - Yep, you need the right air bed.

My quilt style (no insulation under you) air bed hugging sleep system review is here.
https://www.bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/ ... untry-bed/

I have an Alpkit Cloud Cover quilt with is extra wide for warm nights out, but every other time I feel that the Sierra Designs Backcountry Bed* and Nemo Medium** wide insulated mattress ticks your boxes

* Sierra Designs Backcountry Bed Long fits the Nemo perfectly as it's wider giving loads of room*** inside over the standard sleeping Backcountry Bed bag
** if over 5'8" go for the Nemo long wide
*** so much room I can easily side sleep with my Border Terrier inside and comfortable all night long in there
Loki

Post by Loki »

Thanks for all the feedback, I have actually settled on a set up, running a Nemo Tensor normal wide sleep mat with a Big Agnes Lost ranger 0 deg, initial front room testing napping on my side is quite comfortable, I will be trying it outside the first weekend in November. I did try to get hold of the back country bed initially but most sources seemed to be out of stock.
Simon K