BB200 2023

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Re: BB200 2023

Post by Richard G »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:22 pm Rich. Why'd you always have to go for the pain option. Why not take it steady and aim at 20H instead of 16. That way you can relax and enjoy the ride (and walk) :grin:

It's all type 1 fun I can assure you. It's Wales :smile:

The quicker it's done, the quicker I can get back to being allowing myself to eat foods that have flavour! :lol:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

That's very true aswell :-bd As you were. Shout at em at that takeaway (TD) that the chap who called em is trying to reach there before they close... 'currently stuck in a bog' n all that :lol:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I've definitely been tempted to call and offer the takeaway £20 just to wait for me. lol

However, as I'm usually in the arse end of no-where with no signal... it's not usually an option.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

whitestone wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:15 pm
Richard G wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:07 pm Silly rabbits, overthinking it.

There will be pain, and it will be character building.
Indeed

Duncan- I’ve done the first of your sections in reverse ( at night) and it was mostly OK but we’ll be going uphill. Not even been near the other two so no idea what they’re like. The last one has featured in a previous edition :wink:
Yep. First one' OK apart from the steep push up to start. I've done the first bit of the sceond one and again that's fine apart from the push, it's a mystery after 79km though :???: . Third one is a bit of a BB classic. Should be reasonably dry so a decent chunk might be rideable. 5km/h over the top would be about right.
redefined_cycles

Just called the takeaway (for all of us). But they're closed (on Tuesdays). Where I'm from here in Dewsbury, all the quality takeaways close on Tuesdays for some reason.

Another good note is that they actually had an answer phone message explaining they're closed (on Tuesdays). Whoever of the fast lot get there, you best remind em to stay open until 0030. I'll do my best at convicing em that there's lots of quality riders coming past on the day :grin:
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:19 pm Just called the takeaway (for all of us). But they're closed (on Tuesdays). Where I'm from here in Dewsbury, all the quality takeaways close on Tuesdays for some reason.

Another good note is that they actually had an answer phone message explaining they're closed (on Tuesdays). Whoever of the fast lot get there, you best remind em to stay open until 0030. I'll do my best at convicing em that there's lots of quality riders coming past on the day :grin:
Will happily pay a surcharge if I can't get there before they close. Hopefully it will be better then the Knighton pizza, I had to give it away as they put mushrooms on it by mistake.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Richard G wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:33 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:22 pm Rich. Why'd you always have to go for the pain option. Why not take it steady and aim at 20H instead of 16. That way you can relax and enjoy the ride (and walk) :grin:

It's all type 1 fun I can assure you. It's Wales :smile:

The quicker it's done, the quicker I can get back to being allowing myself to eat foods that have flavour! :lol:
Drink rum don't you mean?
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Indeed

Duncan- I’ve done the first of your sections in reverse ( at night) and it was mostly OK but we’ll be going uphill. Not even been near the other two so no idea what they’re like. The last one has featured in a previous edition :wink:
I'll check out my gpx's and see what I can find ta.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

All the moor crossings look alright, even the biggy (which will have a view all being well)
Second biggy will be after dark O'clock but looks a good descent from aerials so it will be fine.
In fact it will all be fine, I've even scoped out my bivvy spot :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

All this talk of kebabs and pizza has just reminded me to remind you that should you detour off route you need to rejoin at the same point you left ... obviously, I probably don't really need to remind anyone but saying that I didn't think I'd have to remind anyone that they can't share kit either.
May the bridges you burn light your way
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

obviously, I probably don't really need to remind anyone but saying that I didn't think I'd have to remind anyone that they can't share kit either.
So when you just make the takeaway, sit outside luxuriating in the calories after it shuts, can you give redined_cycles some of your lamb kebab or not when he rocks up 30mins after closing?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

So when you just make the takeaway, sit outside luxuriating in the calories after it shuts, can you give redined_cycles some of your lamb kebab or not when he rocks up 30mins after closing?
Yes as I see it in the spirit of shared suffering, rather than premeditated shared tent.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

riderdown wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:30 pm
obviously, I probably don't really need to remind anyone but saying that I didn't think I'd have to remind anyone that they can't share kit either.
How much will a bite of kebab cost 5 minutes after closing time then??
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

In Reverse wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:31 pm

Indeed

Yep. First one' OK apart from the steep push up to start. I've done the first bit of the sceond one and again that's fine apart from the push, it's a mystery after 79km though :???: . Third one is a bit of a BB classic. Should be reasonably dry so a decent chunk might be rideable. 5km/h over the top would be about right.
Oh crap just found the third one on my 2XXX gpx. If my memory serves me correctly, right near the summit, I missed the descent path in the dark and spent a good hour plus wondering over the top trying to find a way down that wasn't vertical.
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:09 pm All this talk of kebabs and pizza has just reminded me to remind you that should you detour off route you need to rejoin at the same point you left ... obviously, I probably don't really need to remind anyone but saying that I didn't think I'd have to remind anyone that they can't share kit either.
Aha. Yes. I was thinking along them lines too when I made the statement of intent to call the place. Tell me if this is against the spirit of the rules Stu, but I planned to call and let em know there's an even this weekend and another for the second sitting.

Part of me wonders if they'll think it's a hoax as there might be a slight language barrier (I don't speak *****ish very well and telling general public that there's some numpties riding 200km might well go down as a hoax caller). But I'm hoping to tell em about both weekends and then asking (borderline, grovelling) if they'll kindly remain open until maybe 0030.

If that's totally out of order, I'll leave it well alone?
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

9.8km of that section ended up taking my 2h31m. Ok ish pace at first then it looks like a lot of back and forth looking for a way down. I can see where I found it as after that I seem to have been going at a seriously dangerous speed down the last bit. I recall being so pissed off I didn't give a monkeys about the risk, I just had to make up some time.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

f that's totally out of order, I'll leave it well alone?
It's prearranged and we kind of know that's not really within the spirit of these things and would possibly get you a DNF somewhere else. I suppose ringing up when you're an hour away and begging / pleading for them to remain open, would perhaps be a different matter?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:26 pm It's prearranged and we kind of know that's not really within the spirit of these things and would possibly get you a DNF somewhere else. I suppose inging up when you're an hour away and begging / pleading for them to remain open, would perhaps be a different matter?
I've seen people in "very serious" events pull over after a couple of hours and start booking things. I'm always astounded that they have a rough idea of where they'll be at what time, but I guess that's far easier when you can actually ride most of the stuff put in front of you!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

On the 2017 HT550 Phil, Ian Pentan-Volk and myself were at the Oykel Bridge Hotel having just finished the Northern Loop when the owner commented that someone doing the event had rung them asking for a room. Even the barman thought that wasn't within the rules! We'd just booked ourselves in to their "bothy" for the night!

Most ITT event rules state no pre-booking *before* the event but seemingly it's allowed once the "Go!" has been given.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:26 pm
f that's totally out of order, I'll leave it well alone?
It's prearranged and we kind of know that's not really within the spirit of these things and would possibly get you a DNF somewhere else. I suppose ringing up when you're an hour away and begging / pleading for them to remain open, would perhaps be a different matter?
Thanks Stu. Indeed I don't want a DNF. I'm capable of getting one of them without doing such things :sad: My bad :smile:
redefined_cycles

I think my confusion came in from the other years event. When that community centre was specially opened for the riders and sarnies were presented. I always assumed that was a pre arranged thing as I got to know about it well before the event.

Maybe cos it wasn't an actual shop the prearranged thing didn't really apply. But, you're right :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:53 pm I think my confusion came in from the other years event. When that community centre was specially opened for the riders and sarnies were presented. I always assumed that was a pre arranged thing as I got to know about it well before the event.

Maybe cos it wasn't an actual shop the prearranged thing didn't really apply. But, you're right :-bd
That was available to all riders so is fair game. It's private/personal arrangements not available to all that are against the spirit/rules of the game.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

whitestone wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:56 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:53 pm I think my confusion came in from the other years event. When that community centre was specially opened for the riders and sarnies were presented. I always assumed that was a pre arranged thing as I got to know about it well before the event.

That was available to all riders so is fair game. It's private/personal arrangements not available to all that are against the spirit/rules of the game.
This is why I thought this situation was ok Bob. As I was trying to areange it for everyone? :???: (like seriously). For both events aswell :smile:
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I recall sending a text on a certain event after it had started and then finding a motorhome on a moorland road. And it had a sign saying open to all ***certain event*** riders.

The very large dog outside it must have put them off as nobody else stopped for dinner that night!!!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:09 pm This is why I thought this situation was ok Bob. As I was trying to areange it for everyone? :???: (like seriously). For both events aswell :smile:
Telling a takeaway that a bunch of hungry riders are coming and they might want to consider opening a little later is fine. Ordering a meal before you've even started the event... not so much.