Wahoo Elemnt Roam V1?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ChrisF

Wahoo Elemnt Roam V1?

Post by ChrisF »

I need to get a new GPS. I'm fed up with the various Garmin issues (I've owned a few) and fancy a change. What I need is:
Simple!
Good for following a preplanned route, on or off road.
Good battery life.
Not touch screen (had issues with Garmins when it rains).
Good connectivity for hrm and powermeter for when I'm on the road bike.
Did I say simple?
Cheapish.

A roam V1 is available for £169.
Any reason why I shouldn't press the button?
Thank you...
Johnallan

Re: Wahoo Elemnt Roam V1?

Post by Johnallan »

Apparently the roam v1 has/had issues with recording longer rides. There's been lots of discussion in Audax groups about it and on one particular ride - Easter Arrow - pretty much every Roam V1 user reported crashed devices.

It may or may not be an issue for you, depending how long you plan to record rides for. I bought the V2 instead and it's been faultless, even recording a non-stop 1200km ride
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Most of my rides are a couple of hours and if I'm on a trip, 8 hours or so, so not very long. I'm assuming you are talking about much longer rides?
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Hi Chris. I've had all the Wahoo models from Bolt V1. £169 is a bargain but (AFAIR) memory on the BOLT (but I don't think the ROAM) used to be an issue occasionally. Just the once or twice on a 200 miler it might have gotten confused with mapping going a bit off the scales (ie. memory meant it somehow hadn't loaded enough of the map).

If I was you, I'd spend the extra £100 or so and get the BOLT v2. It's almost the same as the ROAM v2 and a much more convenient size. If getting the earlier versions then I'm sure you could grab a lightly used second hand unit for about £100 or less.

https://uk.wahoofitness.com/devices/bik ... t-bolt-buy
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

For 2 to 8 hours the v1 is as brilliant as the v2. I did 2 bearbones on the v1 versions and had not a problem. Best thing is that it's a point and shoot jobby...

Downside to the v1 versions is that you cannot navigate via the unit itself and needs a connection to phone to load the route you decided on. Go for the v2 (or did I say that) and future proof it a bit more. Plus (AFAIR) USBc is well worth the extra shinyness.
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

ChrisF wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:04 pm I'm assuming you are talking about much longer rides?
Yes, I think the issues started somewhere between 200 and 300km.

I really like the simplicity of the wahoo. For me, it just works and continues to work. That's never been the case with previous Garmin devices I've owned
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Thanks guys. I think I'll give it a try (the v2 option is a bit out of budget for me).
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

+1 for the v1. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've done several 24hr plus rides and mine was fine. Great battery life and very intuitive to use.
Mr conners

Post by Mr conners »

Another :-bd for the V1.
It did bonk once on a slightly longer ride but it's performed flawlessly since. I was on an etrex 20 before and this is a much better unit.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Can you not just stop the device after say 75km, save it and then start again, repeat to avoid big recordings and possible problems? That’s what I tend to do on a garmin for important events.
Mr conners

Post by Mr conners »

Possibly. Mine was running for over 16 hours and it froze, when I turned it off and on it wouldn't locate via GPS . Fortunately we had a phone to use to get through the last few km and next day it was fine. I have read on other forums that this issue can occur as an irreparable fault but it's rare.