Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by redefined_cycles »

Anyway, so, where was I (well, at the masjid, come on Shafiq, don't get funny :grin: but in terms of thread talk). Well, yes, the car... I'd been worried that buying the Honda (gorgeous little 1.4L thing) might have made me not wanna drive my own car.

But today, driving to Friday prayers in my own, it was such a beautiful feeling. Especially since the 1.4 is also a but heavy on fuel (it seems.. or maybe in my head). Cheerest thing about it is the ease of servicing. Last service was done 2000 miles ago in 2018 but I've sorted that now with some fresh engine and auto trans oil.

Spark plugs swapped to Iridium and the stereo system is thankfully the straightforward Single Din (I know, confusing... basically the original single face head units that the theives could nick easily). So that can be changed soon to something that connects to the phone and in-car calling will be a thing.

Cheery spark plugs removed and replaced.

Cheery engine oil and filter swapped. Thankfully all that oil seen under the pan was from the last service (in 2018 :shock: ) as the filter sits straight over the pan, so removing it, you get a splurt of oil all over (if you're not super careful with a rag).

Sorry... Cheery Friday just got a classic car workup added to it :lol: but it be cheery for me. Oh, them there headlights. One had water ingress... Apparently they have breathers do headlights (who'd have thought) so I took it out, dehumidified it and added a one way valve (with some first aid tape) to the little cover that was missing to allow breathing but not inhaling :o (it makes sense in my head, sorry again). Voila... No more watery headlight!

Next up, the rear bumper has a crack. But that's for another cheery Friday talk :smile:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Phew, what a week!
Great finish though - onto bike and up into the local woods for some fixed gear trail action and best of all, a beer whilst checking out a fab view of my local hills!
Beer will feature heavily this weekend - a mates 60th tomorrow and only a short bike ride away (off road of course) :-bd
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Not quite cheery Friday. But, itscheery and it feels like a friday. I just secured (hopefully) a new (to me) PHD MIinimus bag for less than £151 :grin:

Pending confirmation by Artie that he's still happy with the deal (I might have to phone a friend for the full cash but that's minor). Happy Friday to me... Happy Friday to me. Alhamdulillah :smile:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:03 pm I was/am beginning to like it more than my own and (and I can't remember, which means itsnot a problem afterall).

I'll just leave you with this though, after a bit of spririted motorway driving and a perplexed look at my rev counter it had suddenly burst into action!!

Ain't it gorgeous!
Congratulations Mrs Red_Cy.
Lovely motor...
She did take the picture for you. Whilst you were doing 70. (Or versa vica (or vice versa)).
That the proper motorway way. :grin:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

We were awaken in in the early hours (t'was dark)....by a a very excited scampering an vocal cat......
Chasing an errant mouse that the cat brought in .. it ran into my son's bedroom then out again. (The teen age boy aroma must have been too much :ol: ) :YMSICK:
Then under ours under the dressing table. (The cat had lost interest... I'm sure her eyes aren't to good), she seems to rely on sound &scent more than sight)....
We eventually flushed it out with Mrs Ledburners tools of choice a pink feather duster🪶 & a towel. We cornered said rodent in a gap between 2 pieces furniture, plugged the exits with a towel, the gave 1 exit& tried to immediately trap it under a washing up bowl. Too fast so not to be. Then it ran under her knees between legs and out under her derriere whilst she was squatting on the floor ....
With a shreik of 'Its just run up my bum!' Followed by 'What do you find so funny?'. :)) compose regained the hint continues, TWas eventually trapped under a towel, storage tub onto top & the sheet of card slid under the bowl, the whole thing inverted & taken outside.
...The cat was kept it...
The mouse running up her nightie at 3am almost made it worth it... :grin: :lol:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Cheery here, off to see Public Image Ltd later

Hello
Hello
Hello
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Been for a nice walk in the forest. Nothing fancy, nothing special but good to take it all in :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Dave Barter wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:43 pm Cheery here, off to see Public Image Ltd later

Hello
Hello
Hello
Excellent. It's not a game of monopoly you know. (Where are they on anyroad? (*) Thought they were doing a European tour or summat? Although a "tour" doesn't sound very [post-]punk to me).

(*) EDIT: Torquay!!! What's all that about? Did you book them for your birthday or something? Fair play :smile:

Terribly exciting here. Mrs P harangued me about keeping a load of hand sanitiser under the sink. "What do we need that for?". When you're not sure what to do with something - set fire to it! I'll take a load on my next BaM I think, then I can cook my porridge on it after cleaning my hands.

Last edited by RIP on Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

Am also perusing a 1947 OS map of Stoke-on-Trent which has kept me amused all morning.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

RIP wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:06 pm Set fire to it!
Yes I know you're playing the well-known parlour game of 'What Mrs Perrin Said Next'.

Well I'll pre-empt your next move. She said "I've told you before not to set fire to things on my sink!!".

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

RIP wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:10 pm
RIP wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:06 pm Set fire to it!
Yes I know you're playing the well-known parlour game of 'What Mrs Perrin Said Next'.

Well I'll pre-empt your next move. She said "I've told you before not to set fire to things on my sink!!".
I'm not convinced that will work, although the aroma of aloe vera whilst boiling the kettle sounds quite appealing (as opposed to burning meths and hand hairs)
Bash on though :-bd
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

In the prison when Jane worked there they had to remove the hand sanitiser as the inmates were drinking it. Assuming yours is alcohol based as well then I'd recommenced that, plus you'll have fresh breath afterwards :-bd
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:12 pm Bash on though :-bd
Right, challenge accepted. Supposed to be BaM-ing with MuddyPete next week if we can get our rears in gear, so that's breakfast sorted.
That Scamp Sean wrote: drinking it

Drink it? Well it's 70% alcohol so that's a good plan (*). Could probably make a decent margarita with it. Bit of lime and salt and away you go. Actually Mrs P made some sloe gin the other day - I had to tag along to pick the sloes and my hands are wrecked - and she ended up with too many sloes. So what I'll do is nab some of the spares when she's not looking, stick 'em in a bottle with the sanitiser, and leave it until Christmas. Then, when the mother-in-law comes round for dinner, I'll wheel both the bottles out and she can do a taste test.

(*) EDIT: I've checked it again. It's quite gelatinous (**). So I might have to sort of lick it off my hand instead. Or better still, someone else's hand. Or indeed any other part of the body. That celebrity lady in Sean's report would do, if she was available later.

(**) I'm choosing that as my Word Of The Day, unless someone can come up with a better one.
Last edited by RIP on Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RIP

Post by RIP »

PS> There's hardly anybody in the BBB Pub this evening. I'm sat here in the corner with my flat cap on and a pint of mild talking to the pub dog. Is there some sporting event going on or summat? Or has everyone gone with Dave to see PIL?
Last edited by RIP on Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

RIP wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:31 pm PS> There's hardly anybody in the BBB Pub this evening. I'm sat here in the corner with my flat cap on and a pint of mild talking to the pub dog. Is there some sporting event going on or summat?
I'm here, though in foreign parts. Day 14 of my Camino, found a lovely spot albeit a bit noisy from the motorway above, to camp and cook dinner. Can't work out how to get pictures to upload so they'll have to wait until I get back to Blighty.

Still thinking of you all though :-bd
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm here too Reg. Spent the day filling big cracks with cement and stones (starting out as pointing like these things do). Dee has now returned from ferrying the neighbours to hospital and I'm 20 minutes away from the cottage pie I knocked up after putting my mixer away :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I'm here too Reg, drinking 'White Rat' ale which is mighty fine on many levels.
Also went for a post work bike ride and stopped in a suitably pleasant woodland spot for a beer. I did this last Friday and I've decided I'm going to do it every week as its fab :-bd

Anyway, back to biting finger nails and chain smoking whilst waiting for the BB route to arrive...
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

hardly anybody in the BBB Pub this evening
Apologies, I'm in the BBB Wine Bar, have my parents over for the weekend.

Cheery note, they're here to celebrate one of the (grand)bairn's birthday.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Reg we were as shocked as you.It’s great seeing all the dates punks walking round town. Tempted to reinstate the old mohican
RIP

Post by RIP »

Dave Barter wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:18 pm Tempted to reinstate the old mohican
Photo!!!! :smile:

Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Indeed a cheery one.
Too many good things happened to me the last fortnight to put it to words. I feel spoilt by life. I wish more people could feel like this.
Have a good one dear fellow cyclists :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Nice lunch with mother-in-law.

But hey! Rest of the day's been pretty Cheery so it's not all bad :grin:

voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Just celebrated my 39th birthday this week, so I reckon that means it’s one big party year until my 40th??

Training course away next week got cancelled, so that means I can stay at home :-bd but will miss out on eating curry for three nights in a row with beer on expenses :|
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Saw New Order last night and dodging the BB200 with a week in Scotland so cheery here
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Been getting back into longer road rides and pushing the mileage up. 60 and 80 mile rides last week, and a century today. Tough once out on the open moors with a headwind and constant drizzle, but warm - crazy weather :shock: Anyway, best bit was meeting a pair of Ruby lookalikes on a little lane climbing out of Weardale. The were being walked by a slightly grumpy woman who seemed a bit confused when I more or less insisted on stopping to give them some fuss. I think she thought I was about to take umbrage at being barked at or something, and she found some small talk in the end, but I was rather distracted with the dogs :lol: