The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

faustus

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by faustus »

A nice new copy of Rough Stuff Cycling in the Alps. Looks to be a treasure trove, and source of inspiration for some long term ideas. Nice intro by Mr Olsen too! :-bd
ergaster

Post by ergaster »

*Other teas are available.
“‘What day is it?’ asked Pooh.
‘It’s today,’ squeaked Piglet.
‘My favourite day,’ said Pooh.”
ergaster

Post by ergaster »

I now have a few different alcohol burners and intend to do some comparisons. I'll post my findings.
“‘What day is it?’ asked Pooh.
‘It’s today,’ squeaked Piglet.
‘My favourite day,’ said Pooh.”
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

...with a few bits for my next trip. Ultralight Javadrip for coffee, Nalgene soft water bottle to save getting up and out the tent during the night for a pee (wide mouth, of course...don't mean to boast :grin:), and Nikwax cleaner and waterproofer for jacket/shorts etc....I'm expecting rain.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

This weeks post has been...
A pair of Vaude 'Drop' over trousers. I got a pair of these yonks ago and they worked very well keeping me dry on a lot of wet rides, including the 2015 HT. They don't have zips so not good for pulling over boots (which did for the last pair so I turned them into a pair of waterproof shorts) but super light and ideal for commuting. First commute in them and it lashed it down - all good :-bd

Also a 0.305" x 28tpi tap set - schraeder valve thread size. Actually for an oil pressure gauge test bed (not r i g) I've contrived (motorcycle related) but just realised it gives me the ability to make novelty valve dust caps! :-bd
Last edited by fatbikephil on Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

I've just got home with a 6ft 4"x3" fence post an other replace ment splat & capping. Now time to go out of afternoon shift.
The post man been. .... :-bd
(I'll get my coat then...)
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

ledburner wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:25 pm I've just got home with a 6ft 4"x3" fence post an other replace ment splat & capping. Now time to go out of afternoon shift.
The post man been. .... :-bd
(I'll get my coat then...)
What's happening Dan.. Have you a wibbly fence pist aswell. Me too, but don't wanna add any more concrete (it's hard to get shut of these days) to the wobbly one. Might try some wooden wedges in the sides!
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

...with my much needed coffee supplies, again, since no-one was at home yesterday. I put off doing anything noisy outside so I didn't miss him, but at nearly 4 o'clock I noticed it had turned very grey, and sure enough the forecast said it was about to rain, so I dashed outside and mowed our 50sqft of grass before it started, which it promptly did.
In that 10 minutes, the postman came, and went again :roll:
redefined_cycles

thenorthwind wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:59 pm ...with my much needed coffee supplies, again, since no-one was at home yesterday. I put off doing anything noisy outside so I didn't miss him, but at nearly 4 o'clock I noticed it had turned very grey, and sure enough the forecast said it was about to rain, so I dashed outside and mowed our 50sqft of grass before it started, which it promptly did.
In that 10 minutes, the postman came, and went again :roll:
Sounds like you have the postman from somewhere not very nice. We used to have one like that. Used to knock really gently and by the time you realised he was there, he was gone.

Thankfully doesn't happen thwse days. Have you tried leaving a note or seeing if there is a way to instil a 'this is a safe place to leave it' into their long term memory! Gutted for you mate :o :smile:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Nah, our regular guy is a good egg, and will generally leave stuff, but there isn't really a great place to leave it. The neighbours might well have been out. I was just bemoaning my bad luck really.
redefined_cycles

:smile: nowt wrong with bemoaning :-bd
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

After a week of pissin about with FedEx not sticking to the agreed delivery dates and times, I went to collect the parcel myself. A worryingly battered box containing a fortunately not battered new MTB from Fairlight Cycles :smile:
RIP

Post by RIP »

....with 4 square metres of white spinnaker fabric. Pretty light at 40gsm. Got a bit fed up with tyvek not being waterproof and then being a wet shapeless mass in my drybag.

Not as slippery as I thought it might be, but probably a stupid idea. We'll see next time.

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
faustus

Post by faustus »

A fairly decent and well priced 2nd hand 120mm Rockshox Revelation RC. Going to make the Unit a bit more of a beast, for throwing down chunkier terrain when the urge takes me...
redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:55 pm ....with 4 square metres of white spinnaker fabric. Pretty light at 40gsm. Got a bit fed up with tyvek not being waterproof and then being a wet shapeless mass in my drybag.

Not as slippery as I thought it might be, but probably a stupid idea. We'll see next time.

Reg, how slippery is 'not as slippery as I thought'. Would it have a tendency of leaving/sliding you into the neighbouring farmers field in the space of a couple of hours on a 1% slope!!

Also, how waterproof is waterproof please. I understand theres probably answers on the net, but you always explain better :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Also, how waterproof is waterproof please. I understand theres probably answers on the net, but you always explain better :grin:
Very waterproof.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Further evaluation bulletins will be issued from the bottom of my next bivvy slope....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

redefined_cycles

Thanks Reg/Stu. Can't see the item in the BB shop Reg. Where'd you buy it pls. Ta.
RIP

Post by RIP »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22482240 ... 4QAvD_BwE

As say, experimental. There's a sledging slope (*) in our park so I might test it on that :wink: . If doesn't work I'll make a toy yacht out of it. Maybe.

(*) Out with Bob I bunged my bike at my feet under the tarp and that stopped me sliding away.

redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:17 am https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22482240 ... 4QAvD_BwE

As say, experimental. There's a sledging slope (*) in our park so I might test it on that :wink: . If doesn't work I'll make a toy yacht out of it. Maybe.

(*) Out with Bob I bunged my bike at my feet under the tarp and that stopped me sliding away.
:lol: Thanks for the initial and comprehensive feedback Reg. I think I know everything I need :grin:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

With a set of TRP Slate G4 brakes - £89 from Merlin. Seem pretty good - I'd got them for the lowside but I'm thinking of bunging them on the Jones as the front shimano caliper is leaking....
redefined_cycles

fatbikephil wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:29 pm With a set of TRP Slate G4 brakes - £89 from Merlin. Seem pretty good - I'd got them for the lowside but I'm thinking of bunging them on the Jones as the front shimano caliper is leaking....
Bloody Shimano calipers :lol:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

DPD arrived but left with the parcel as no one was in (thanks for the 25 minute advanced warning :roll: ) and they didn’t leave it with a neighbour nor have a central point I can collect it from like most delivery companies.

Operation lighten the fat bike will have to wait… :roll:
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

with a few metres of Permavent from the BB shop. I think it'll make more sense than taking the inner/mesh tent for BB200. 🤷‍♂️
Mart

Post by Mart »

:cool: Some lush carbon bars and a king cage dropped off by the postie from the best bike shop on the planet :cool:
2924 miles per Gallon