Calder Divide

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Raggedstone

Calder Divide

Post by Raggedstone »

Are there any Boner's doing any of the Calder Divide variations ?
Johnallan

Re: Calder Divide

Post by Johnallan »

Yes. Given the forecast, I'll probably be riding the 'short' MTB route. Still a hard 100 miles, especially int rain
M4tt

Post by M4tt »

I'll be on it. Training for my first BB200 attempt 👍
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Forecast actually looks decent again, hopefully it stays that way. Back to Plan 'A' - long route :smile:
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Enjoyed that. Set off on the (extra) long route after completing the (classic) long route last year.

The first 50ish miles were hard - lots of open moorland, muddy single track and rough Pennine packhorse trails and bridleways. The cold north wind and low cloud wasn't helping but there's something quite enjoyable about the return of Autumn, even if it means riding a bit slower.

Things sped up a bit along the following greeways, towpaths and trails around the flatlands to the east, then a welcome tailwind made light work of the return towards the hills.

Lights and jacket back on as the route climbs in and out of the clag between the Holme, Colne and Calder valleys on some of my favourite sections of the Pennine Bridleway, then a bit more canal chugging and a bonus ascent to Lumbutts on the way back to base for a complimentary Vocation vanilla stout and pie n peas.

Considering the earlier forecast, I'd say we got off lightly. And considering the route was 'suitable for gravel bikes', I was happy with 3" tyres.

Best give the Stooge a hose off before BB200 :grin:

Total time 17h28m for the 168mile/6500ft route.
Valerio

Post by Valerio »

Hi all, has anyone here ridden the CDT red gravel/MTB 275km route?

I'm going to give the BB200 a go for the first time this year and I'm a bit anxious eheheh.

I've ridden the CDT route above, as well as some of the technical bits of the black route in the past.
From your experience from the BB200.....am I likely to face much more gnarly/slow stuff??
Not a fluffy gravel rider.
Organiser of the Tor Divide
https://tordivide.co.uk
Valerio

Post by Valerio »

Johnallan wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:15 am Enjoyed that. Set off on the (extra) long route after completing the (classic) long route last year.

The first 50ish miles were hard - lots of open moorland, muddy single track and rough Pennine packhorse trails and bridleways. The cold north wind and low cloud wasn't helping but there's something quite enjoyable about the return of Autumn, even if it means riding a bit slower.

Things sped up a bit along the following greeways, towpaths and trails around the flatlands to the east, then a welcome tailwind made light work of the return towards the hills.

Lights and jacket back on as the route climbs in and out of the clag between the Holme, Colne and Calder valleys on some of my favourite sections of the Pennine Bridleway, then a bit more canal chugging and a bonus ascent to Lumbutts on the way back to base for a complimentary Vocation vanilla stout and pie n peas.

Considering the earlier forecast, I'd say we got off lightly. And considering the route was 'suitable for gravel bikes', I was happy with 3" tyres.

Best give the Stooge a hose off before BB200 :grin:

Total time 17h28m for the 168mile/6500ft route.
Sorry I don't know how I missed your post!

Have you done the BB200 events before? If so, how do you say they compare to the CDT?
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Valerio wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:18 pm

Have you done the BB200 events before? If so, how do you say they compare to the CDT?
I've just done one BB200 and one BB300. I'm sure you're aware but the BB routes change every year. From my experience, expect less/no flat riding and some rougher/muddier sections, plus a couple of non-ridable sections. Also, the remoteness on the BB rides usually means carrying more supplies and likely a water-filter.

Expect lower average speeds on the BB rides, but also shorter overall distance.

I've really enjoyed the last 2 BB rides and also the last 2 CDT rides. Bikes=Fun :-bd
Valerio

Post by Valerio »

Johnallan wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:23 pm
Valerio wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:18 pm

I've just done one BB200 and one BB300. I'm sure you're aware but the BB routes change every year. From my experience, expect less/no flat riding and some rougher/muddier sections, plus a couple of non-ridable sections. Also, the remoteness on the BB rides usually means carrying more supplies and likely a water-filter.

Expect lower average speeds on the BB rides, but also shorter overall distance.

I've really enjoyed the last 2 BB rides and also the last 2 CDT rides. Bikes=Fun :-bd
Thanks Johnallan!

Yeah I'm aware that the route changes but I'm hoping there's some consistency in the level of difficulty/type of terrain.

Finding long flat sections would be nice hahah, I doubt we'll have that luxury as you say.
Hopefully the non-rideable sections are kept to a min, not a fan of hike-a-bike especially in the mud during the night.

Good point regarding resupplying.
I felt the CDT was OK but had i missed a couple of shops I might have been in trouble.

Hopefully legs and gravel bike will be up to the task :😀
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

It's always worth having a good study of the route beforehand and working out where the shop/garages/takeaways are (if there's any at all), and checking the opening times.

Another point regarding BB Vs CDT. The trails used around Calderdale/Kirklees on the CDT are not overly affected by the weather and remain fairly quick to ride all year round. Expect the Welsh riding to be a lot slower after significant rainfall - not that it's likely to rain much in Wales during October, but you never know :smile:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

not a fan of hike-a-bike
Depends really some.is just a push with a bike and some is why the hell have I brought a bike here , the later , loaded, is not my idea of time well spent. Its tolerable on the big bike to get a superb downhill