Ham Curious

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

Re: Ham Curious

Post by dlovett »

Well the crash test dummy seemed happy with it. Working out how the mossie net is suspended took a bit of chiglish understanding, but then it was fine. I left her in it while I ran back to get a thermarest and a quilt. By the time I got back she was almost asleep. After adding the mat, semi inflated and the quilt it looked very comfy. I then took a try and have to agree apart from the getting in thinking I would be spun out the other side, once in it was very nice. When it's not a howling gale we will test it some more, but so far in it's first half hour all seems good with it.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

With the CTD in it.
IMG_0423.jpg
IMG_0423.jpg (148.92 KiB) Viewed 560 times
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

CTD enjoying it with the thermarest and the quilt in it.
IMG_0428.jpg
IMG_0428.jpg (139.34 KiB) Viewed 559 times
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

on the tree straps, should the stitched patten side be against the trunk or facing outwards or is it just a pattern? I wondered if the stitching was to provide extra grip.
IMG_0429.jpg
IMG_0429.jpg (76.89 KiB) Viewed 559 times
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

There's not really going to be any extra grip so unless the pattern obviously feels rubberised in some way I'd just use them whichever way they come out of the pack.

Getting in - reach behind you and grab one edge of the hammock with each hand and spread the material out then sit down. That's all there is to it really. Easiest if you set the hammock at slightly less than chair height. The "fun" comes when you've an underquilt that's almost the same colour as the hammock and you grab one side of the hammock and one side of the UQ! :lol: That's one reason you use elasticated suspension for the UQ.

The comfiest position to lie in is on the diagonal so that you are flat rather than banana shaped. "Diagonal" doesn't mean at 45deg from the line of the hammock, just enough so you can lie flat. You need to work out if you prefer sleeping head-left, feet right or vice versa. That's mostly what longer hammocks give you - I couldn't get anywhere near diagonal enough in the 2.4m Exped Scout for example, I'm just too tall. This does depend on the width of the material used as well. It's one of those things that's hard to describe or give exact "if that, then this" type instructions/help, it's a sort of "knowing it's right when it's right".
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

whitestone wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:40 pm There's not really going to be any extra grip so unless the pattern obviously feels rubberised in some way I'd just use them whichever way they come out of the pack.

Getting in - reach behind you and grab one edge of the hammock with each hand and spread the material out then sit down. That's all there is to it really. Easiest if you set the hammock at slightly less than chair height. The "fun" comes when you've an underquilt that's almost the same colour as the hammock and you grab one side of the hammock and one side of the UQ! :lol: That's one reason you use elasticated suspension for the UQ.

The comfiest position to lie in is on the diagonal so that you are flat rather than banana shaped. "Diagonal" doesn't mean at 45deg from the line of the hammock, just enough so you can lie flat. You need to work out if you prefer sleeping head-left, feet right or vice versa. That's mostly what longer hammocks give you - I couldn't get anywhere near diagonal enough in the 2.4m Exped Scout for example, I'm just too tall. This does depend on the width of the material used as well. It's one of those things that's hard to describe or give exact "if that, then this" type instructions/help, it's a sort of "knowing it's right when it's right".
Yep it wasn't too bad actually getting in and out. It's coming on holiday to Ludlow, and will be road tested by me and a kindle most days I hope!! The straps I guess are just patterning, they seems to grip fine patten out. I guess they might be reflective, so patten in might be better when trying to keep a low profile. Colour wise it's actually quite nice. Almost the same as the quilt, which blends in nicely on a forest floor in the dark. I think we had it too high off of the ground and so, will try it lower next time. Jen could move to all sorts of angles in it and at one point was almost flat across it as it's pretty wide. I think they claim it's a double, not really, but a nice generous single width wise. Length with I would guess it's about 10-11ft as we both had lots of head and leg room.

At the end of the day for £4.70 odd, it's bloody good value and has already provided us with a load of fun and learning.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

All of what Bob said is good. In case you're a visual learner and with due credit to the Ultimate Hang and its author (https://theultimatehang.com/2012/05/01/ ... mfortable/)

His site is a wealth of info and this is good starting advice (amongst all his other "Hammocking 101" information):

https://theultimatehang.com/2012/06/29/ ... k-camping/
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

This has got me going now....
Are the hammocks with the double layer to shove a sleeping mat in worthwhile? Seems easier than adding and underquilt and I already have a mat.
Otherwise the DD superlight seems an OK buy.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

You can, though whether it stays in place is anyone's guess. My only experience is with a bridge style which is rather different to a gathered end. One other trick is to only partly inflate the mat so it conforms to the sleeper a bit more and is more likely to stay put.

Hammocks also tend to cause compression around your shoulders which, because it flattens the loft of a TQ, can lead to them feeling cold. Obvs an UQ reduces / avoids this as it wraps up around you on the outside of the hammock. It's also why some hammock specific TQs are narrower than ground-dwelling quilts because the sides are compressed and so redundant. CCF (think Karrimat) works well in a hammock and there's a "classic" design which is T-shaped so insulation covers the shoulders.

Double layers are often also about weight of the sleeper. Whilst many fabrics will support heavier folks a double layer can also be a little less stretchy so it is akin to sleeping on a flatter, possibly "stiffer" surface. Much like mattresses, some of this is personal preference whilst a certain proportion is princess-and-the-pea :wink: