Modern Hardtails

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Tomwoodbury

Modern Hardtails

Post by Tomwoodbury »

After sneering and resisting for years, I’m starting to get a bit curious around these ridiculous looking low low slack things as my son is expressing an interest in trail centres and they do look like fun.

Are they actually any use for bikepacking?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Modern Hardtails

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Are they actually any use for bikepacking?
Most likely depends on where you're going. SDW probably not. Alps, then maybe.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I use a Cotic Solaris Max. It's done laden and unladen rides, and completed a BB200. Bikepacking.com were pretty enamoured with it.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

SDW probably not.
Pretty sure I could ride mine along there. It's even capable of riding along roads. Amazing things, bikes...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Pretty sure I could ride mine along there. It's even capable of riding along roads. Amazing things, bikes...
Don't get me wrong, you can undoubtedly ride anything anywhere but when I read
these ridiculous looking low low slack things
I tend to think of something like ...

Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

Well I’m currently riding a very unfashionable El Mariachi with a 100mm fork and no dropper so even something vaguely sensible like a Solaris Max would be a fairly radical change.

The thing I’m looking at is a Ragley Big Al frame (£280) but my main questions are

1) how do these things ride loaded

2) would anything over a few hours be uncomfortable because of the geometry
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I hate to say but owing a road bike, gravel/adventure bike, HT, FS and fatty/xc wheelset. I used to live right on the SDW and the HT was great and would carry BP kit fine and ride all day with no issues. If I had to keep just one it would be the gravel/adventure as it does all things well including IMHO being better for all round backpacking than all the others. Quick on tarmac, quickest on crap country roads, about the same on most off road, and capable of the knurly stuff when needed. It's my first choice these days for ITT's like TD/NYM/BB etc, even over the fatty

For ref, my HT is more of a traditional geo rather than the new skool loose geo.

I'm sure I'm going to get it both barrels in 5/4/3/2/1 !!
Loki

Post by Loki »

I have not used suspension of any kind for ages, instead preferring a fully rigid set up, that said I have ridden more progressive geometry bikes with suspension for both trail and bike packing use, they handle both really well, if you look at many of the set ups for events like the Great Divide and similar, most bikes are a hardtail, I personally will stick with full rigid and some phat ass tyres :)
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

A mate has a Ragley Big wig - 65 degree head angle and 140mm forks. He reckons it's great with a bit of speed and gives the impression it will ride through anything. On low speed nadgery stuff, however, it's a handful and doesn't really want to go round tight corners...

Seems to be a fair bit of variation if you look around. Long top tubes would be my issue as they would put too much weight on my wrists and give me a sore back. That said, you could size down and get an extra long dropper post.

Surly KM would be my choice if I didn't already have the Jones and Krampus - looks a good compromise.
Keith74

Post by Keith74 »

Have used my ragley big al frame and use it for everything. It’s done days at Bike Park wales followed by 5 days bikepacking. Yeah it’s not brilliant at everything and really needs some quicker rolling tyres on it but still comfy and does the job. Got a surly ogre I use for any big bikepacking trips but the Big Al does a good enough job and is comfy for 60+km days back to back.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100086163783548

Stay in the banks of Loch Fyne in Argyll.
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

My el mariachi has very similar geo to the modern Surlys which I was a little surprised by.

I guess the answer is I need to keep that for bikepacking and get something cheap to sling around trail centres with my boy.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I reckon the pre long shot geometry, original Solaris Max hit the sweet spot for all round trail riding, especially with a dropper, 120-130mm forks and a second (27.5+) wheel set. My favourite trail centre bike
https://www.cotic.co.uk/product/solaris - latest Solaris (non Max) model is similar.
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

One thing that does annoy me with the old school geo is that with a saddle pack it’s impossible to get your bum over the rear tyre.

From what I’ve seen / read modern hardtails remove the need to get your butt back as they are so much longer.

I’ll check out the Cotics as ideally I want one bike to do both things.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

From what I’ve seen / read modern hardtails remove the need to get your butt back as they are so much longer.
There's very little need on any bike, we just believe there is :wink:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:49 am
There's very little need on any bike, we just believe there is :wink:
Aye when you drop into a steep steppy chute it's nice being able to sit on the back wheel :grin:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Tomwoodbury wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:13 pm Are they actually any use for bikepacking?
Absolutely.

They're incredibly fun. I ride a modded preprod. 2 gen. Pipedream Moxie (size "longer") and every ride is a total rush. If you're not set on a Ragley yet, have a look at Pipedream's Moxie or Sirius. They don't just ride fantastic, they're also beautifully made.
I've built mine up to be very good at a certain type of riding, but with the right tyres and gear(s) I'm sure a ride like SDW would be comfy and could be ridden as efficiently as with any other hardtail.
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

I was looking at the Pipedream Sirius actually after reading the bikepacking review but out of stock atm.

I have however, picked up a Ragley Big Al frame today from Wiggle for the princely sum of £175. Added a 150mm travel rockshox revelation for £200 so even if I end up hating it it’s not big bucks.