Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

thenorthwind

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by thenorthwind »

Just got back to the Estonian mainland after 5 days touring Hiiumaa on hired bikes. Twenty degrees and mostly sunny, beautiful and deserted, the tourist season coming to an abrupt end with August.

Somewhat too deserted in some cases as shops are few and far between and most restaurants are closed. E.g. last night, all the restaurants and bars within, at least 30km were shut, and we neglected to check the opening times of the shop properly, but were saved by a roadside veg stall which we turned into stew in the cabin we were staying in, which fortunately had a kitchen. Wouldn't have changed it, the sense of peace was wonderful. On the bus to Tallinn now, which will be a culture shock! Just checked and there's at least three taprooms within a stone's throw of the hostel we're staying at open past midnight. Guess we'll appreciate them :grin:

We'll miss Hiiumaa, but I won't miss my hire bike with its worn Schwalbe Land Cruisers and 21 speed Tourney that wasn't lubricated to begin with. I don't know why they'd fit a triple chainset - the ramp onto the ferry was the most significant incline we encountered :lol: We rode up to the highest point on the island, and in fact, western Estonia... a dizzying 68m above sea level. Still, the bikes survived without incident, which was lucky because I'd brought my touring toolkit with a small pump, which it turns out only fits presta valves, and a multitool, but the axles were nutted, so the spare tube the shop lent us would have been useless because I had no spanner and no way to inflate it anyway.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Cheery enough but this has just raised the level somewhat. As many of you may know, most 30mph zones in Wales will be reduced to 20mph in a weeks time ... and this is what someone thinks about it :wink:

May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
Scotland is doing the same. It's quite funny as my native Fife instigated 20's in all residential streets (plus various town centres) 10 years ago and made them all self enforcing with bumps. The Scottish Government is making a big play on the fact that there will be no need for traffic calming (to shut the anti speed bump lot up) which means no-one will stick to them, rendering them useless... A shame as the original 20mph guidance was sensible and practical. Just converting every 30 to a 20 is a typically political way of doing things...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm expecting a big enforcement roll-out for a fortnight Phil, then nowt :wink:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:09 pm I'm expecting a big enforcement roll-out for a fortnight Phil, then nowt :wink:
Yup - that's what happens...
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Can I just be the first to say, nothing cheery but TFIF…
Boab

Post by Boab »

Rebuilt my son's PC with him last night, after he bought updated components. Turned it on today, as we were missing a cable last night, and it didn't explode. I could that as a win and very cheery. He also goes to Uni on Sunday, so I no longer have to shout and scream to get him out of bed in the morning, which leaves more time to ride my bike. 👍
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
RIP

Post by RIP »

voodoo_simon wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:46 pm Can I just be the first to say…
Seconded!

Actually, pretty cheery, am sat on Lancaster station awaiting the 17.51 to Grange-over-Sands, where a certain R Wightman Esq, who may be of this parish, will hopefully meet me. I do have the requisite pink carnation in my buttonho... oh bugger, wrong jacket.. I seem to be wearing one with two pandas on instead. I expect Bob will recognise those too...

Mrs Perrin's yearly visit to her chums near Lanky, so Reginald banished of course. Previous years Bob has kindly shown me round his neck of the woods, but for a change it's South Lakes this time.

Don't shout at me but I'm not really a fan of the Lakes these days. If I'd wanted a visit to a crowded theme park I'd've gone to Alton Towers. OK that's a little unfair but I remember it back in the 1960's/70's. I'm sure Bob'll sort out some secret nooks and crannies though.

The only minor concern I have is that I hope this beer I picked up earlier ain't an omen..... cheery Friday ter yez!

Last edited by RIP on Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Yup same here - a straightforward TFIF. Once again a national rail infrastructure operating company has driven me to the point of insanity this week but at least I don't actually work for them...

Interested to see how you get on Reg and Bob as I'm eying up destinations for post BB300 recovery in either the south lakes or Dales. After much wrestling with the internet I've failed to book anything so far. Got digs in the Alepo inn Carno for Friday night though and can crash at my Brothers Sunday night so it's definitely 'On' But want to spend some QT through that week ahead of visiting parents.
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Now it's cheery but the week since Wednesday has been a bit sub-optimal. It started on the plane to Seville when I couldn't buy a G n T 'cause I'd left my cash card at home. The next day was spent trying to get my banks to let me get some cash out. They both kept blocking me and then I'd have to go through the security checks again and again - eventually with no results. This left me with €180 for the 3 weeks.

Eventually I managed to set up payments on my phone which took the pressure off a bit. Then, after leaving my digs tomorrow start my Camino I found out that Western Union can transfer cash worldwide, but it still took 4 hours before I got some more cash.

By the time I was sorted it was 12:30 and bakingly hot. Too hot to be starting out, so I booked back into my digs with the intention to start tomorrow.

So this gave me time to at least visit the cathedral. I was very moved - to the extent that I had to sit on some steps for 10 minutes to settle down. I wouldn't have thought a building could have that effect.

Trouble is, now I'll have to make the miles up somehow. But hey! It's a life lesson ain't it.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

So it's the Via del Plata then? If Sevilla is getting you emotional, just wait until you get to Santiago de Compostela!
I've spent the day organising a trip along the Via Augusta from Cordoba to Castellon via Albacete and Valencia. We start in 2 weeks with an 8 hour train journey which cost €28 each Inc bikes then 650km over 6 days of gravel roads and old railway trails. Still can't persuade MrsPB to sleep in ditches so it's hostels and b&b.
frogatthefarriers

pistonbroke wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:10 pm So it's the Via del Plata then?
Yup. Got it in one. :-bd I hope my Arris hold out for the three weeks I've allowed. I bought some bum cream, but airport security bagged it. I had to get some "anti friction" cream from Decathlon. Haven't needed to try it yet. Tomorrow!
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:51 pm Now it's cheery but the week since Wednesday has been a bit sub-optimal. It started on the plane to Seville when I couldn't buy a G n T 'cause I'd left my cash card at home.
Hey ho. Payment by phone as contactless I suppose isn't universal
A few years ago we went to Slovenia. I encouraged our 'kids' to get Revolut travel card , (recommended, others travel cards available). Great, they downloaded app & my son paid £10 for the bank card, which was then credited to it. My older daughter thought 'contactless &cashless was the future, & I don't spent £10.' :roll:
Over hearing their negotiations & her younger brothers entrepreneurial 'fees' for her to get using his card at the ATM, so she could get paper spending notes was priceless :-bd
That the new cashless generation know best :lol:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
RIP

Post by RIP »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:57 pm Interested to see how you get on Reg and Bob as I'm eying up destinations for post BB300 recovery in either the south lakes or Dales.
Yep, all good. Bob's South Lakes area was nicely understated. Bit of lanes, bit of off road, various little tracks, views, etc etc. Nowt 'spectacular' but probably all the better for that.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:51 pm the intention to start tomorrow.
Thinkin' about ya Lu. That's quite a project you've taken on there. Hope you've had a satisfactory start. Reckon you'll end up with some good stories.

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:57 pm Yup same here - a straightforward TFIF. Once again a national rail infrastructure operating company has driven me to the point of insanity this week but at least I don't actually work for them...

Interested to see how you get on Reg and Bob as I'm eying up destinations for post BB300 recovery in either the south lakes or Dales. After much wrestling with the internet I've failed to book anything so far. Got digs in the Alepo inn Carno for Friday night though and can crash at my Brothers Sunday night so it's definitely 'On' But want to spend some QT through that week ahead of visiting parents.
Phil, if you stay south of the main hills you can get a good amount of pleasant riding in. Plenty of wandering to be done in the Lyth, Winster, Cartmel valleys plus the Blawith, Torver, Grizedale, Hawkshead, Claife Heights area. Gets a bit harder west of Coniston. As I noted in my trip report there's not a lot of shops away from the larger villages. In fact from Boxelder's Lakeland ride earlier this year I was surprised/shocked at just how many businesses had shut down including some pubs that generally used to be packed. Mixture of Covid, etc, etc.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
frogatthefarriers

RIP wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:45 pm
frogatthefarriers wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:51 pm the intention to start tomorrow.
Thinkin' about ya Lu. That's quite a project you've taken on there. Hope you've had a satisfactory start. Reckon you'll end up with some good stories.
So now I've done day three , and got as far as Merida.ive done in three days what I'd meant to do on four.

Here's what I'm up to while I wait for it to get dark and the dog walkers go home.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AI ... KSko=w2400

Sorry, I still haven't found how to get images fro Goole photos.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Yowsers, sunshine and palm trees - makes a nice change from Welsh / Scottish / Irish / English bogs and rain :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yeah awful isn't it :wink:

voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Just finished building this!

Think I missed out one piece in the engine somewhere as the pistons don’t move up and down when I push it forwards :oops: Oh well…
Attachments
744003C4-FBAC-4147-A372-624C18692DB3.jpeg
744003C4-FBAC-4147-A372-624C18692DB3.jpeg (245.94 KiB) Viewed 1555 times
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Think I missed out one piece in the engine somewhere as the pistons don’t move up and down when I push it forwards :oops: Oh well…
Landrover themselves do that, so absolutely authentic. :-bd

Tomorrow is the final BB200 recon' trip. I shall be searching for final piece of this years puzzle and I think I know where it is.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Have downloaded 'The Big River Watch' and will shortly go down to our river and, er, watch it. I can do that any time of course but the idea is to watch it for half an hour then report on its condition and number of fish/birds/animals/shopping-trollies, etc.

Expect my report will say something along the lines of "a hell of lot less life than 40 years ago".

Actually that's not very cheery after all really is it, sorry :sad: .

While I'm there I've got a couple of trees to plant so that's a bit cheerier. Postie supposedly bringing new groundsheet too which is vaguely entertaining possibly.

ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:19 pm
Landrover themselves do that, so absolutely authentic. :-bd

Tomorrow is the final BB200 recon' trip. I shall be searching for final piece of this years puzzle and I think I know where it is.
...not of its on a LandRover
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

So, Friday, for me is the best of days. Almost always take a day off but that doesn't mean it's a day off from life... Just a day off and Friday prayers if not travelling..

Todays Friday was different though. Recently we've ended up with 2 cars at home. After much deliberation and being told off, as well as walking to the homes of bad sellers (lying bar stewards possibly, but who am I to judge) with big train journeys with sometimes 2 trains, we finally ended up with a 25 year old Honda Civic as my wifes first car.

Took a while but finally she's starting to see how it's 'the best' of cars. Especially as a first car. Doesn't have a horrible 1L engine, is a future classic and only 42k on the clock. Only 2 problems - I was/am beginning to like it more than my own and (and I can't remember, which means itsnot a problem afterall).

Anyway, Friday prayers time and then some more feature wall wallpapering with some plastering chucked in, but, Friday talk TBC...

I'll just leave you with this though, after a bit of spririted motorway driving and a perplexed look at my rev counter it had suddenly burst into action!!

Ain't it gorgeous!