Custom Frame Bags

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Custom Frame Bags

Post by Richard G »

Part two of trying to sort out my riding pain is my decision to finally get the weight off my back and into the bike... but to do that (especially for water weight), I'm going to need to get myself a custom frame bag made.

I really rate the Wildcat stuff, but to my knowledge, that ship has sailed. Unless I can persuade Beth to come out of retirement. :lol:

Anyone got any suggestions? I'd like to keep it as light as possible as I've got no real need for it to be hardwearing (will only be used a handful of times per year).
PaulE

Re: Custom Frame Bags

Post by PaulE »

They're not massively light, but the beerbabe bags are great - I've one for my stooge and another on my now dead full sus. Decent price too.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Alpkit do custom sizes, based on sending a template, not sure if they do custom dividers for a bladder or special right angle zips to permit access. There was talk of wildcat being resurrected but maybe that's for standard products. There's a few here in Spain but shipping and customs duty might make it uneconomic. Shaf got one from a Dutch outfit , not sure of the name but seemed well made.
Ps sorry to see your dnf from Badlands, seems you were in good company, quite a few bailed but by the same token the winning time was 36 hours or something stupid. Seems the weather was unpredictable with flooding beforehand and 40+C during.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Will have a look into those options, thanks both.
pistonbroke wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:19 pm Ps sorry to see your dnf from Badlands, seems you were in good company, quite a few bailed but by the same token the winning time was 36 hours or something stupid. Seems the weather was unpredictable with flooding beforehand and 40+C during.
I'm actually not unhappy with my performance tbh. I was flying until my groin stopped playing ball, actually much quicker than I expected to be.

Sucks to pull out, but I need my body for the long run... can't really accept doing that sort of damage just to finish a ride.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Does it need to be custom? I have two off the shelf 1/2 bags that fit well( and therefore leave space for two water bottles)
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Lazarus wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:47 pm Does it need to be custom? I have two off the shelf 1/2 bags that fit well( and therefore leave space for two water bottles)
Yeah, it's an odd frame shape and I need to get a divider or two in a specific place if possible.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

My custom alpkit one has worked fine for years , not sure l about lightweight though.
It uses a velcro removal.divider, not sure what it's " breaking strain" is as never stored water/ anything too heavy in it
GoneCaving

Post by GoneCaving »

I’ve been very happy with the frame bag I got made by https://www.meritgear.eu/

It is made to measure, and they added a rear port so I could run the dynamic cables bag to a rear light.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I've been happy with custom bags I've had from Alpkit and Straightcut. Are Bikepack.eu still going?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Funnily enough, I just found Straightcut. Will have a look at Merit.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Another vote for Micky at Merit ... although in reality, I think it's now difficult to buy a 'bad' bag no matter from where.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Stinginglip

Post by Stinginglip »

Mister vear bag works? His stuff looks top quality and he's a top bloke.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Like you haven't been given enough options already... Restrap do custom via a template, plus there's Straight Cut in Edinburgh who'll do you custom bags too.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Cheers all, plenty to be going on with I think!
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

I got one here: https://bike-bag.co.uk/

Not particularly fancy (i.e. just plain black) but lovely bloke to deal with, quick turnaround and costs the same as or less than an off the peg one. I think I was about £55 for a full frame one?
rivers

Post by rivers »

yourguitarhero wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:53 am I got one here: https://bike-bag.co.uk/

Not particularly fancy (i.e. just plain black) but lovely bloke to deal with, quick turnaround and costs the same as or less than an off the peg one. I think I was about £55 for a full frame one?
+1 on bike-bag. Mine has been brilliant
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I have a custom merit. They're very articulate and I love mine.
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

rivers wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:45 pm
yourguitarhero wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:53 am I got one here: https://bike-bag.co.uk/

+1 on bike-bag. Mine has been brilliant
+2 for bike-bag. Spot on
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Looks pretty good, as long as he's willing to do one sans advertising (I want it as plain as possible).
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

He will do it without the logo, no extra charge.
That's how I got mine made up
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Cheers.