Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Post by dlovett »

thenorthwind wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:15 pm
dlovett wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:11 pm The Feed Zone Cookbook
by Biju Thomas

Back in stock at £5.20
So this turned up. And then I realised if been an idiot... I thought I'd ordered the Portables book. The original book wasn't really what I wanted. But it was sold as "like new" and it certainly wasn't: creases, lots of wear, etc. which wouldn't normally bother me as long as I wasn't paying for better condition. So I contacted them, sent some pictures, and they said yep, fair enough, but we don't have another copy in stock, and would I like a different book. Well actually, I'd like the Portables book as it happens... So they sent me a copy of that, and told me to keep the other one, and I ended up with both books for the cost of the cheaper one! :grin: Feels a bit cheeky, but so you win.

There's not much of interest in the original cookbook - a lot of it seems either quite obvious, or very involved, and it's pretty meat-heavy - but I'll have a look through and see if there's anything of use to me, and then I'll probably pass it on.
Result!!

I've found the original one is pretty good for home food, we have added several recipes from into our menus.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

40% off DVO forks on sportpursuit
https://www.sportpursuit.com/search?s=dvo
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

Moore Large's liquidation auction sale (ending Tuesday 6th) has a lot of tat, but some maybe ok O'Neal helmets, plenty of tubes, and nice looking Lake 'gravel' shoes too in size 39 or 45 : https://www.johnpyeauctions.co.uk/Event ... ON?page=25 Check the postage cost on some items mind, it's all over the place!
Boab

Post by Boab »

Hyppy wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:30 pm Check the postage cost on some items mind, it's all over the place!
Don't forget the buyer surcharge either; makes things slightly less than cheap...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
RIP

Post by RIP »

I'll bung this here because there's no Ripoff Alert Thread. I almost created one for the purpose but probably best not open that litigious can of worms.

Pinhole leak in my mat, on the edge of a previous repair patch. Did think on our FoD trip that I woke up slightly nearer the ground than when I went to sleep.

Anyway, scouted around and almost everywhere they want twenty quid, twenty pounds sterling, or more, for a couple of patches and a bit of glue! Ridiculous. Oh, and a special "UV light to cure the glue". What??? It's just a mat, not a high tech space suit or something. Utterly bonkers.

Reckon a bit of gaffer tape will do it. (No, I know, it won't)
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

Reg funny you should say that my pillow suffered the same fate its an exped one and they will repair it for the cost of the postage
benp1

Post by benp1 »

You could try some clear gorilla tape?
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I've previously used Gorilla tape as a temporary repair. Was fine for one night, I had the official repair kit at home, so didn't see how many more nights it would last. I'd also consider Tenacious Tape in the future.
RIP

Post by RIP »

ta chaps.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I've had a Park Tool sticky puncture repair patch on one of my mats for several years now. Probably not worth doing anything more permanent now :grin:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've used the 'glueless' lezyne patches on a pillow and still going strong some years later.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

Almost cheaper to buy a new mat.

I wonder how many repair kits it would take to create a whole brand new mat?.....

RIP

Post by RIP »

In similar vein, but to get the thread back on track - here in fact is 31% off an Exped 3R Ultra! https://www.outdoorgb.com/p/exped-ultra ... qIEALw_wcB

Looks like "3R Ultra" is the old Hyperlite. As usual I have trouble with all these escalating superlatives. Is Ultra more than Hyper or less I wonder? I think Zigga is probably best as it starts with the last letter of the alphabet. It's one louder.

riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Oh, and a special "UV light to cure the glue".
Just stick it outside in the sun
RIP

Post by RIP »

riderdown wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:32 am
Oh, and a special "UV light to cure the glue".
Just stick it outside in the sun
:grin: Can't get a much bigger UV light than that! Trouble is they can't charge for it I suppose.... yet.....

jameso

Post by jameso »

Ultra more than Hyper or less I wonder
How long till we have Hyper-Distance events? #hyperdistance anyone?

I've read a bike described as a hyper bike. Like hyper cars. Almost made me hyper ventilate :lol:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Hyperbole is the appropriate term here
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

RIP wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:12 pm I think Zigga is probably best as it starts with the last letter of the alphabet.
I like this theory, it makes my school grades look better. What's the reason for the order of the alphabet anyway?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Johnallan wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:45 pm
RIP wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:12 pm I think Zigga is probably best as it starts with the last letter of the alphabet.
I like this theory, it makes my school grades look better. What's the reason for the order of the alphabet anyway?
Good question. As we know, everythings tends towards disorder (entropy), so that presumably includes the alphabet. Maybe its current order is temporarily held together by some quantum boson that we haven't discovered yet. At any time the whole alphabet might suddenly reverse and we'd find that our ultra and hyper mats were now the worst sort to have. Or something.
Last edited by RIP on Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

What's the reason for the order of the alphabet anyway
No one knows ( presumably a list had to be made )
RIP

Post by RIP »

Sorry I'm at it again. Definitely need a Ripoff Alert thread. One brake caliper pin - £8! Excl postage ;-). And they're all Ti as well. I know I have a slight w/weenie rep but the difference between a Ti and steel pin must be about the weight of a speck of dust.

jameso

Post by jameso »

https://shop.longcourseweekend.com/coll ... 1390479540

Small only - Pertex Quantum jacket with Primaloft body and fleece type arms and reflective detail, £20?? Looks tempting but too small for me. A few sizes left in the women's version.

S + M Primaloft + Pertex gilets in S + M, £20 https://shop.longcourseweekend.com/coll ... 0976397492
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Merlin are doing TLS schwalbe jumbo jims in all sizes for £40.
None tubeless for £35.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

fatbikephil wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:03 pm Merlin are doing TLS schwalbe jumbo jims in all sizes for £40.
None tubeless for £35.
Thanks 2 x 4.8" tyres collected today, an early Christmas present from the wife to me is sorted.
I don't need them any time soon but with a fiver loyal customer discount off £75 is great value for such a lot of rubber
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »