Flat shoes - recommendation

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Flat shoes - recommendation

Post by ootini »

Hi all.

Curious as to everyone's waterproof, flat MTB shoe recommendations please?

I've ridden in Salomon vario speedcross trainers in the past, which were comfy enough, but not actually cycling shoes. I've also got some Five Ten Trailcross shoes, but find them a little narrow, and bizarrely, not waterproof. (Expect them in the classifieds soon).

So in summary, I'm looking for flats, waterproof, comfy, ideally velcro or boa as opposed to laces, but its not a deal breaker, oh and must be available in a UK 12/12.5.

Cheers 🍻
mustang

Re: Flat shoes - recommendation

Post by mustang »

This is the sort of moon on a stick shoe people have been asking for for ages. There's not much out there that fits the bill. The New Shimano GF8 are probably your best bet.
ton

Post by ton »

i think most cycling clothing and footwear is crap. and expensive fashion led crap too.
but good quality outdoor clothing can last years, so my footwear choice for cycling shows this.
for general year round cycling, i.e not too cold or wet i use Keen targhee shoes.
for cold weather but not too wet, i use Columbia fairbanks boots. as grippy as 5/10s but far warmer.
and for real winter rides, i use Keen targhee polar high boots. again, warmer and comfier than any cycling winter boots i have ever owned.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Shame 5.10 Trailcross is well on the narrow side. How about sizing one up? I need to get new ones (yes, they lasted long) and am hoping to be a bit more comfy.
No experience with the waterproof version though. I go with sealskins, which after little use aren't waterproof either, but help keep feet warm when things get wet and cool.
ton wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:29 pm i think most cycling clothing and footwear is crap. and expensive fashion led crap too.
but good quality outdoor clothing can last years, so my footwear choice for cycling shows this.
Thank f*ck the outdoor industry is free of expensive fashion led crap :-bd

:wink:
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Vaude moab stx are my current favourite winter flat shoe/boot. They are waterproof and give good pedal grip. Only issue is walking in them on anything slippery as they have a completely slick sole, not ideal for the wet moorland round here! Best I’ve found though overall.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Thanks for the advice folks. I've actually decided to just sell my Five Ten Trailcross XTs, in the classifieds, and just buy the GoreTex version in half a size up, as I actually love the shoes