PBP - anyone planning on entering?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Johnallan

Re: PBP - anyone planning on entering?

Post by Johnallan »

Just finished :shock:

I never intended on going without sleep but apparently it's quite normal on PBP

The French are ace, never really expected a fraction of the support along the route. Incredible really :-bd
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Johnallan wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:48 am Just finished :shock:

I never intended on going without sleep but apparently it's quite normal on PBP

The French are ace, never really expected a fraction of the support along the route. Incredible really :-bd
Chapeau as the wanna-be French would say :-bd

Can’t imagine what it’s like watching the odometer tick from 1km to 2km and know you have many more to go.

Nice one
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Chapeau sounds like the ride and your effort surpassed your expectations
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Opposite to John, I wanted to get a lot more sleep than previous rides and managed nearly 12 hours without sleeping in a ditch once (although that might have been better than the 'job lot of well used roll up mats' at Mortagne last night).

The French reception was the highlight as always. I wouldn't have high-fived me on day three but the kids love it. The young lad that was my "helper" in the restaurant at Villaines at 1000k couldn't wait until he was old enough to ride himself. And all the trail angels at the side of the road handing out drinks and food to their heros! :lol: Hopefully you lot found it as uplifting as I do.

Reckon that's my last PBP for a good while if not yet saying forever. I've done all three start options, time to find something new. But never say never.
Last edited by Dyffers on Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Well done John and Dyffers, I See Jack T successfully finished too. Just Retiredtester to update now?
faustus

Post by faustus »

And Matt Page? His Instagram shows he finished, no idea how he did? Extremely well done to all who did it, congratulations! :-bd
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

faustus wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:16 pm And Matt Page? His Instagram shows he finished, no idea how he did?
Someone told me he had packed, for what reason I don't know.
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

That was pretty amazing! I had probably my best ever day on the bike on the first day and snuck off to get 4hrs blissful hours sleep at a retired mates house near Brest. Then started to feel progressively worse as I succumbed to the heat. Grabbed another 3hrs kip on a sports hall floor 300k from home and then somehow managed to get back. Was just inside 63hrs, which I know is completely irrelevant and against the spirit of audax, but I wanted to try and do it as quickly as I could, cos I don't plan on doing it again! Another 180k to dieppe today made it 1000 miles in just under 5 days and I don't plan on doing that again either.

Incredible event, superbly well organised, and the love that they locals have for it just blew me away.
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Sorry, bit pissed and full of myself on the ferry home. Should also have said a huge congrats to my fellow boner finishers - kudos, as they say.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd Good effort all. Write ups please :grin:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Well done you all lot... I remember the last time getting to London (I think via train and then a Bivy inside the inner circle) and wanting to ride back home. Had just done a 24h/230 miler charity event the week before (Dewsbury to Bristol) and the pain at my backside. Had to stop well within the first 20 miles and have a good sleep on the field.

Then continued another 100 miles or so to Birmingham and the train back home. Wasn't flat but whenever I think of that saddle sore - without actually having a saddle sore on that ride I think - I always think of feats like this. 1000 miles (or thereabouts for some/many) in just the one ride.

Monsters :-bd
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Well done all. I cycled down from St Malo to Tinteniac and cycled route to Fougeres. Hillier than I anticipated.
I also got lots of encouragement from the roadside and was very embarrassed as I was just touring. I admitted near the controls but on the road accepted the cheers rather than stopping. One fella seemed to really want to give me cake and I had to say Merci, je suis touriste. Not sure I fancy it myself.

My plumber was in yesterday and rode it 4 years ago, not fit enough just now but he hopes to do the Inverness 1200 next year, LEL the year after and then return to PBP in four years time.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Well done all, inspiring stuff :-bd
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Verena wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:00 pm Well done all, inspiring stuff :-bd
×2

:-bd
JackT

Post by JackT »

I had two objectives: to finish and to have fun (in that order of priority). My plan was to ride to Brest reasonably briskly and arrive with enough time in hand to ride back a bit slower as I knew I'd be riding into the unknown, having only done a 600km once before, and had all kinds of fears of bad backs, sore knees, sore feet, at the back of my mind.

In the end I felt pretty strong in the legs throughout and the aches and pains were minor - just sore palms of my hands and sit bones. What got me was the sleepiness - I was forced to take an emergency nap at 1.30am around 550km, half way up a big climb between Carhaix and Brest, and the next night I decided to have a shower and a proper 4 hour sleep in a bed. Plus two half-hour daytime cat naps just to reset and refresh, or digest after eating too much. Once I realised I had 'only 300km' to go and was still feeling good, I decided to get my head down and empty the tank - arriving back a few hours earlier than I had planned, at about 1am, and with no accommodation. This necessitated a rather squalid night - a bit drunk, dehydrated and still in my cycling clothes - in the back of the Berlingo. After sunrise I was able to beg a spot outside a friend's glamping tent for a proper nap. Came home to UK at the weekend and immediately tested +ve for Covid, so been feeling doubly rank and washed out this week.

On the face of it PBP goes against everything I like about cycling. It's way too far for a comfortable bike ride, there's constant time pressure and not enough time to stop to enjoy the places along the way. The sleep deprivation is real. But it's such an astonishing carnival and a unique tradition to be a part of. What made it utterly unforgettable for me is the support and encouragement along the way - not just the big crowds at the controls like Villaines but the ones and twos by the roadside in the middle of nowhere, the kids offering to refill your water bottles, people cooking crepes in their front yards, and the constant echo of 'allez, bon courage, bravo' from what must have been tens of thousands of well-wishers. As cyclists we get used to feeling unloved - I've never felt so encouraged, cherished, and appreciated as I did in those three and bit days.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Sounds amazing.
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

JackT wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:49 am What made it utterly unforgettable for me is the support and encouragement along the way - not just the big crowds at the controls like Villaines but the ones and twos by the roadside in the middle of nowhere, the kids offering to refill your water bottles, people cooking crepes in their front yards, and the constant echo of 'allez, bon courage, bravo' from what must have been tens of thousands of well-wishers. As cyclists we get used to feeling unloved - I've never felt so encouraged, cherished, and appreciated as I did in those three and bit days.
I couldn't have put it any better. Well done on your ride!