Taping frame

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Al

Taping frame

Post by Al »

Been a bit lazy about taping frames to protect against bag rub over the years, but also put off by the mess left by the tape when it was eventually removed (eBay 'helicopter tape' I think from memory) but also as most of them have been steel or ali.

Anyway, I need to tape a carbon frame. What do people recommend that doesn't leave a mess as I comes off.

Ta
Last edited by Al on Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark E

Re: Taping frame

Post by Mark E »

Electrical tape has always worked well for me when mounting bags on a frame. Comes off nice and cleanly as well
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

I've found the stuff that Invisiframe use has been the best, they're actually based in Shrewsbury Al.
One of their kits with a few tweeks/extra-bits may save a lot of time. Could be worth a email/call..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

For short trips, I too now use electrical tape. Easy on and off, no mess, cheap and as the frame is black, it's not unsightly.
With the proprietary tapes, I find dirt gets under the edges and looks manky and it's always there.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

boxelder wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:39 am For short trips, I too now use electrical tape. Easy on and off, no mess, cheap and as the frame is black, it's not unsightly.
With the proprietary tapes, I find dirt gets under the edges and looks manky and it's always there.
Yep, my best results have always been with electrical tape, it contours to curves and welds really well!

While I can't suggest what to get, I can suggest what NOT to get. ETC tape (from Moore Large RIP) is absolute crap and peels up from anything that isn't just a plain cylinder/tube.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Vinyl film for me as used to wrap vehicles etc. Cheap from ebay and seems to resist bag strap rub fine plus comes off easily with a hairdryer without leaving any residue. Lots of vids on line telling you how to wrap it round lots of funny shapes.
Al

Post by Al »

Thanks for all the suggestions. Grubby edges is exactly what I meant Andy.

I use electric tape round the stays when I fit the mud hugger, not sure why that didn't occur to me.

Clear vinyl film sounds promising Phil, is this the stuff?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303592749677 ... media=COPY
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Al wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:18 am Thanks for all the suggestions. Grubby edges is exactly what I meant Andy.

I use electric tape round the stays when I fit the mud hugger, not sure why that didn't occur to me.

Clear vinyl film sounds promising Phil, is this the stuff?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303592749677 ... media=COPY
Mine was unbranded but that looks like the stuff
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I've applied heli tape type stuff to most of my carbon frame as general frame protection, but also use electrical tape on bar and fork under straps - both black, so looks fine as Andy says. Gorilla tape under my Mudhugger to protect the stays.

Noticed last night that my top tube bag (used every ride) straps have worn through the heli tape, so something else needed there.

Edit: also, self-amalgamating rubber tape is ideal for stopping straps slipping, which is the main reason I use it, but it also helps protect bits.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I used Conver and it was fine coming off. As long as the tape is good, then a bit of haur dryer heat during removal will peel it right off...

Also, don't forget when applying... Less is more and don't try to take angles much... Lastly, make sure all edges are rounded off and use heat when credit card-ing it down. Bubbles should come out nicely and edges should stick better...
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Have used electrical tape on the bike and for long term stuff, I’d add an inner tube under the tape first. Doesn’t look pretty if you’ve got a nice colourful frame but works well enough.