Waterproof shorts and jacket or onesie?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

flash

Waterproof shorts and jacket or onesie?

Post by flash »

Winter’s coming and this year it’ll mainly be riding a Fatbike.
So waterproof shorts and a jacket or a waterproof onesie?
I tend to wear 3/4 shorts through the winter and as long as my hands and feet are warm the rest of me copes OK.
What have you tried, anything that you’d thoroughly recommend?
Cheers…
Lazarus

Re: Waterproof shorts and jacket or onesie?

Post by Lazarus »

Really depends how wet it is and whether on road or off road
I wear waterproof trousers no longer made so no use there but , IME,if you don't your feet will get wet ( they need to be able to cover the tops of your boot)
Top anything from a highly breathable soft shell gortex, warmer soft shell waterproofs to an outdry hard shell true waterproof. Thing is wet varies from light drizzle but relatively warm to biblical and very cold. I may ride for 1 hour or 8 and no one item will cover all bases

Never heard of/ seen a onesie waterproof but don't imagine it lends itself well to a toilet break.
flash

Post by flash »

Mud and sand. Riding a Fatbike in the wet is like having someone throw a bucket of water on your back continuously…
Last time I had a Fatbike my top half was OK but my rear was waterlogged. My boots are quite good at keeping water out from above..
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Quite like the idea of riding in a onesie for night rides and such like, were I’d ride for a couple of hours, return to the car and just take the one layer of and drive home. Seems a very convenient option.

I’d want to try one on first though, I could imagine it not quite fitting right and having to pull the bottom half up or down a bit whilst riding or the sleeves would be too long/short but the bottom half spot on.

Always wore waterproof shorts and jackets and it’s works well enough for me not to switch. Waterproof shorts have feature in the summer after lots of rain but no rain jacket required or vice versa, throw in the jacket for the ‘iffy’ days and leave the shorts behind.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

flash wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:22 pm Winter’s coming and this year it’ll mainly be riding a Fatbike.
So waterproof shorts and a jacket or a waterproof onesie?
I tend to wear 3/4 shorts through the winter and as long as my hands and feet are warm the rest of me copes OK.
What have you tried, anything that you’d thoroughly recommend?
Cheers…
A big f-off mudguard :lol:

Seriously, it's defence in depth when it comes to dealing with the stuff flung about by a fat bike tyre.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
flash

Post by flash »

I do have some mudguards. As a last resort I might even fit them….😂