New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Re: New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Post by fatbikephil »

Hard to see what's going on there - looks like the sprocket expands somehow...
Doesn't look very mud proof but if they could make it internal it could work.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

It seems pointless to me, I always say if you're going to have gears - have lots.

If you want, reliable, maintenance free (but never in the right gear :wink: ) go singlespeed. Once you add the complexity of changeable gears then have enough to make it worthwhile.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:24 pm It seems pointless to me, I always say if you're going to have gears - have lots.

If you want, reliable, maintenance free (but never in the right gear :wink: ) go singlespeed. Once you add the complexity of changeable gears then have enough to make it worthwhile.
I have 3 single speed bikes. Their drivetrain may need less attention, but they're not maintenance free.

I suggest a penny farthing.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Alpinum wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:05 pm I have 3 single speed bikes. Their drivetrain may need less attention, but they're not maintenance free.
They're maintenance free if you don't maintain them*, see my winter comutter for example :lol: The trade off is when I do some maintenance it's usually replacing all of it.

Does occasionally oiling the chain count as maintenance if you just splosh some more on when the noise gets too much?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:22 pm They're maintenance free if you don't maintain them
:lol:
Love it. Has a Homer Simpson logic to it :-bd
sean_iow wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:22 pmDoes occasionally oiling the chain count as maintenance if you just splosh some more on when the noise gets too much?
No need to bother; in Homer Simpson logic, you could deal with the noise by listening to loud music. I've tried - works great.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:24 pm It seems pointless to me, I always say if you're going to have gears - have lots.

I dunno - since going singlespeed it has crossed my mind that having some kind of 2 speed high and low range (concealed cunningly in the BB so people don't realise you are a wuss) would actually be very good - will still have a low maintenance drivetrain, no dangly thing and a nice light back end.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Out soon.

New smaller Popcorn bags from Mickey at Merit Gear

And to round front commuter style bag too

The Popcorn bags have new fixing's to the bar and top of forks and a nicer feeling super strong velcro used too.
Your choice of colours and brilliant build quality too.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

It might not be new but it's new to me, your very own bikepackable bbq...

https://knister-grill.com/products/fahrradhalter
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I like the added danger to going OTB
daddylonglegs

Post by daddylonglegs »

fatbikephil wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:42 pm
I dunno - since going singlespeed it has crossed my mind that having some kind of 2 speed high and low range (concealed cunningly in the BB so people don't realise you are a wuss) would actually be very good - will still have a low maintenance drivetrain, no dangly thing and a nice light back end.
Are you thinking of a schlumpf (sp?) mountain drive?
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I’ve often though a dingle speed setup would be good for the fat bike, a higher one for the road sections and then swap the lower gear for the beach sections (obviously depends what you use the fat bike for) but then I can’t be arsed changing tyre pressures to suit the terrain :lol:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

After a couple of tweeks from my prototype on the left to the finished one on the right, it's now time for Norseraft to decide on the finished colours of their new Knarr bike carrying pack raft.

When packed

380mm x 280mm x 180mm in size when packed and weighs 3692 grams.

Cost will be 699 euros delivered and because it's from Norway there are NO hidden Brexit or import charges, but you do get your bank's normal charge for buying stuff in Euros.

Should be live on their website in a few weeks

Advantage of this one, it's longer, so you don't hit your bike with your paddle stroke or at least you don't have to be as carefully with your paddle anymore giving you more time to enjoy your surroundings.
A longer and wider rear end helps keep the boat more level in the water especially when unloaded and it has more carrying points than other packrafts to help fixing gear behind yourself and out of your eyeline.
Because of its longer length there is much more room under your bike (in front of your feet) for your gear, so that you don't have your gear piled up on top of the bike blocking all of your forward views that you get on shorted packrafts. Yes this adds a kilo to the weight and a bit more to the pack size but it's so worth it.

Why is it called the Knarr?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knarr
"The knarr was a cargo ship; the hull was wider, deeper and shorter than a longship, and could take more cargo"
Last edited by JohnClimber on Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

^^^
Why would there be ‘brexit’ charges from Norway?
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:09 am ^^^
Why would there be ‘brexit’ charges from Norway?
Sorry, will edit it to say.. No hidden..
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

daddylonglegs wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:44 am
Are you thinking of a schlumpf (sp?) mountain drive?
I seriously considered one of them yonks ago but I spoke to someone who had one and they reckoned it got bunged up with mud too easily.... Likewise the Truvative hussafelt version.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Twingle speed but you need the same amount of teeth across both cogs ( and to manually change) ...never done it but I am winter SS rather than a dedicated one.
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

You all probably know this, but back in the days before gears on bikes, they used to have two sprockets on the back wheel - one on each side of the hub. To change gears you turned the wheel around to engage the other gear. I suppose they'd horizontal drop-outs to adjust the chain tension.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Have you considered a penny farthing?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Lazarus wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:22 pm Have you considered a penny farthing?
It's funny you should say that :grin:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

https://blog.jonesbikes.com/new-jones-s ... alve-stem/
Not new but defo a good idea. That said, I'm sure they will a) cost a fortune and b) not be available in the UK, unlike motorbike tubeless valves which are 4 quid of the 'bay. I've had too many broken schraeder valves (or had them unscrew with the pump) to do anything but hate them, especially after my recent tubeless set up faff with the Straggler.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

fatbikephil wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:26 pm https://blog.jonesbikes.com/new-jones-s ... alve-stem/
Not new but defo a good idea. That said, I'm sure they will a) cost a fortune and b) not be available in the UK, unlike motorbike tubeless valves which are 4 quid of the 'bay. I've had too many broken schraeder valves (or had them unscrew with the pump) to do anything but hate them, especially after my recent tubeless set up faff with the Straggler.
Never really understood why fatbike tubes came with presta valves, always seems strange on a 4inch tyre.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I bought some tubeless Presta valves around 8 years ago - can't recall where from now though :roll:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Boab

Post by Boab »

In the worst kept secret of the year - Shimano GRX 12-speed; will evidently clear a 10-51 tooth cassette...

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Restrap has a few new products but this I like a lot
https://restrap.com/products/light-mount