Off Topic: Any got any plastering exp of tools & opinions

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Off Topic: Any got any plastering exp of tools & opinions

Post by redefined_cycles »

Hi all you lovely bikepacking folks..

Planning on investing in a brand spaking new plastering tool. Not the best at it but do have an old Refina that was given me from a plasterer via a friend. It's lost its structure slightly at the edge...

Plan is to use this knackered one to do a bit of patchwork and then use a newly invested one to thwn do a nice skim over the walls in daughters room. May as well invest in a new, good tool as I'm gonna be doing the loft at some point (over fresh plaaterboard) and the rooms in the house are all old/cracking plaster.

So, each time I'm redecorating, the plan is to get rid of any flaking old plaster, reseal it a little and then replaster/bond over... The tool I'm actually looking at is this one from Refina. It's a plaatic edge, very untraditional. So will need care to keep the trowel protected (and might take some time to wear in) but apparently with the lighter material and whatever they've done, it's easier on arms/shoulders...

https://www.screwfix.com/p/refina-plazi ... 1-2-/425hj
The added advantage of the plastic blade is also that it is user replaceable for £30 (you never know). Other option is a Marshalltown cos apprently they're pre ground/edged, but prices are hitting £80 and it's probably a lot heavier and all that.

Will be going for 14 inch or less due to lack of exp and (in case anyone suggests) I've no intention to get a plasterer in (as it's just a bit at a time and I'd like the satisfaction of doing myself!). Current bent trowel is 18 inch...
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Off Topic: Any got any plastering exp of tools & opinions

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Recently I've started using an OX Speedskim. I've found it generally quicker and also kinder to my RSI prone wrists*.

* I'm watching you at the back.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Most of the plasters on my site use those speedskims :-bd
Trying to ride bikes.
redefined_cycles

Oh wow... I had seen em, but never thought much of it/em. Thanks Jay/Stu. I assume they layer it on first with trowel then skim using the speed thingy. OX, I saw that brand at Screwfix and thought I'd come to GoOutdoors :-bd

More reading needed, now a new contender is on the list :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I assume they layer it on first with trowel then skim using the speed thingy.
Yes but I've actually seen it applied with a roller, then hit with the Speedskim Shaf ... very quick.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

WTH :smile: wow... Looks like I may well do a half decent sooner than thought. Sounds simple but I bet it's not :grin:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Shaf, OX tools are pretty common these days, seems like they are in virtually every builder's merchants so they aren't "hobby" tools such as the budget range you'd get in B&Q*, they are going to stand up to pro levels of use and abuse. Those Speedskims are a modern take on the traditional two handled skimming blade.

Plastering, like most trades, is doable if you take your time (obviously you are time limited due to the plaster going off), it's just that tradesmen have the experience to know the right consistency of plaster; apply the right pressure; etc. If I've not done something before the first time takes me ages and isn't very good, the second time I'm quicker and do a better job. By the time I've done it half a dozen times I'll be pretty quick and the quality will be at the top end of "amateur" but certainly not at time served trade level.

*For occasional DIY use the B&Q kit is fine but if my work depended on it I wouldn't use it.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

I did a house up years ago, quite a few of the rooms needed re-plastered do I thought I'd learn how to do it.

I ended up doing an ok job but it took me ages and the mess I made was unreal :grin: I decided after this that paying for a decent plasterer was worth it
redefined_cycles

Really appreciate all the advice :-bd Will share shome before/after pics (for the laff) here... Mostly just bodge stuff at present but hoping by the time the loft is ready I'll have a bit more exp. Last sections of plaster I did didn't come out too bad, and that was with a warped 18" Refina Trowel.

Radiator has been removed yesterday (that's another story as it looks like the washer in the thermostat pipe has bent :smile: ) so the patch work should be that much easier...
redefined_cycles

Got myself registered on the plastering for beginners course last week. Crash course and free. Wasn't gonna buy the Speedskim, only cos I was just going through the lessons as they were and didn't wanna try and run before walking...

Todays lesson though and Blaine (excellent teacher) has a lesson on it. https://youtu.be/-hkrs0i_kXU

Looks like I'll be ordering it to sit with my brand spanking 14" Marshalltown Permashape and well used but slightly bent Nelaflex 18" (a tradespersons old tool which found it's way to me a year or so ago).
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

If you’re plastering onto plasterboard in the loft, why not use tapered boards then tape and joint. Much quicker and loads less mess. Not to mention cheaper.
Can be sanded the following day and painted.
Job jobbed.
redefined_cycles

Thanks Taylor. That's what I'll eventually be doing and yes, tapered boards isn't a bad suggestion (ta). For the mo, I'm using bonding after getting rid the old knackered plaster. Then plastering over.. May as well get used to it as almost all the walls are naffed and each time we decorate frol now on I'll repair/replaster the walls in the process.

I don't get why tapered boards would be superior to standard edge baords if I'm using tape over it anyway. :???:
redefined_cycles

Sorry. I get it. So i need not plaster the whole wall... but, wheresthe fun in that :grin:
redefined_cycles

I think I'm on day 6 of training (quick fire, for beginners) now. Just wanted to share todays lesson from the course owner teacher. He's brilliant :grin:
Did you watch the film Eddie The Eagle?

You probably heard of him but he was basically a guy who was in the Olympics for Ski Jumping. And before that he was actually a plasterer. But he always wanted to be a competitor for the British Olympics.

Unfortunately, he didn't have the best start.

He had dodgy legs,

Never trained before...

And never really had a chance. But he was different because he had something most people didn't.

The Heart to keep trying.

He did everything to get into the Olympics.

And in the end, he nailed it because he persevered. He didn't stop until he reached his goal. He got into the Olympics and he became the British ski jumping record holder.

But more importantly...

He became an Icon!

Now I'm not comparing myself to Eddie The Eagle...

But I never trained to be a plasterer. I didn't go to college or have an apprenticeship like most of the tradesmen out there. I was never actually taught by anyone with an educational degree (which most of the time is Bollocks but that's for another day)!

I fell into the trade.

I was a drummer.

And my Drum Teacher wanted to skim his house out.

He'd never plastered before but asked if I wanted to help. Now, imagine 2 drummers...with no experience...learning to plaster. We didn't have any "how to" videos or guides.

And we mixed all our plaster with a shovel.

(No joke. That's a true story).

Our first mix was like Trying to plaster with Tar!

But the thing is we did plaster his house. Just me and him. No helpers, no plasterers and no training - just 2 drummers! It wasn't perfect and most plasterers would have laughed at our work.

It needed a loooott of sanding.

And it wasn't perfect.

But we were plastering!! I eventually went to work with a plasterer who took me under his wing and shown me the RIGHT way to plaster. But the important thing is this:

You just have to do it!

You don't need to go to college or a day course in plastering because I'll teach you something right now that will save you a lot of money. No matter what you do, you are going to suck.

You will get plaster everywhere,

You walls won't be perfect.

But you gave it a go. Eddie The Eagle wasn't the best competitor but he hadn't been ski jumping since he was 6 years old like the other kids. He did 10 years of training in a year because he wanted it.

He wanted it more than the average human.

That's why I started all of this because I genuinely believe anyone can learn to plaster. Everyone says how it's a skilled trade and not everyone can do it...

It's all lies.

The truth is...

Most people DON'T WANT TO DO IT!

They don't want it enough. They get dirty, they get plaster on their tippy toes and decide it isn't for them. You might be the same. You might try it and give up.

But if that happens it's because you didn't want it enough.

If you actually want to learn how to plaster, then we'll help. All you need to do is give it a go.

Find a wall, buy a decent trowel and start skimming. You will make a mess, you might need to do some sanding, but you will still have a wall with plaster on. At least you have a website full of information, videos and tips.

I had nothing.

However, I'm here and I've been a plasterer for over 12 years now. I make good money from it and it has become part of life. And it was all by accident!

You can do the same.

But it didn't start off like that. Tomorrow I'll reveal how the first 6 months of plastering was an absolute nightmare. Trust me, I wasn't a natural.

I'll speak to you tomorrow!

Blaine "Loves Eddie The Eagle" Gray
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:50 pm Sorry. I get it. So i need not plaster the whole wall... but, wheresthe fun in that :grin:
Bingo
redefined_cycles

Done 3 walls now. The first tiny one with just the Marshalltown 14 inch and the 18" old Nelaflex trowel to flatten after. Got the 900mm OX through the other day and did the two larger (but not large) straight/knackered walls using it to flatten.

Despite having a thin mix, I just wasn't quick enough - had it not been for the 900mm spatula - and just about managed to flatten it without any lumps. Lots of water/mist to slow down drying time. Can't imagine how I'll do the bigger (double of the biggest I've done so far) wall shortly, but... it'll be fun :lol: