#TCRNo9

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Johnallan

#TCRNo9

Post by Johnallan »

Somewhat terrifyingly, my application was successful. I'm not even sure how to get to the start in Belgium, let alone the long road to Greece.

Anyone else?

Expect many silly questions in the coming months :shock:
redefined_cycles

Re: #TCRNo9

Post by redefined_cycles »

Congrats. So happy for you (and your nuttyness). Looking forward to your trip reports and watching the dot. I've always missed him that started it up (Mike Hall)... Wierd, I know but just found him so honest, nice and... you know!
redefined_cycles

Oh... and that interview Mike did with Kristoff Allegart. What a legendary interview and probably the best one I've ever seen (pity it seemed to have been taken down after Mike died) and you can feel the respect both people had for each other. So humble too both of em IMO.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I am going to the start again, hotel already booked. Last year I cycled down from Hoek of Holland last year and back to Calais. Good luck with your training.
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Cheers fellas.

I'll probably take the crossing to Hoek of Holland and ideally the train into Belgium, but riding wouldn't be out of the question. Any recommendations for hotels of similar prestige to the Wynnstay Arms? :smile:

I'm not so bothered about the training, it's the planning and organisation that makes me uncomfortable. Riding bikes is the easy bit
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Good luck John, I opted not to put my application in. Couldn't mentally commit to it!

You'll be fine, you're more than capable of it.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

John,

The Grupello Hotel is central and close to the square and railway station. Last year for a fee you could have a late checkout. We are booked in there.

10km down the road, and over a hill, is The Flandrien in Brakel. Fairly new I think, and aimed at cyclists, a few stayed there last year. Air bnb was popular as well.
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried both but unfortunately all booked up, along with most of the other accommodation nearby.

I've managed to get a in at De Kalvaar, about 10km away. They've agreed to having my bike in the room with me and a late check-out :-bd

Overnight ferry from Hull also booked, just need to work out the train situation between Rotterdam and Brussels. Hopefully pedaling to Greece will be less hassle :grin:
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

www.seat61. has everything you need, and more.
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

99% sure I'm going to pull the plug on this ride.

After talking at length with several TCR vets, I can't seem to find any positives to racing down busy highways in the Balkans, and the risks involved seem greater than I'm willing to take.

I feel kind of disappointed with my self but at the same time, I'm sure there's plenty more adventures to be had away from Albanian truck drivers
Verena

Post by Verena »

Anyone else dotwatching??

I hope they'll be ok, with the heatwaves, wild fires etc.

I'll be watching cap #191 Marei, she was first female in Taunus bikepacking.

And #249 Jesko, his 4th one I think.
redefined_cycles

Johnallan wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:14 pm 99% sure I'm going to pull the plug on this ride.

After talking at length with several TCR vets, I can't seem to find any positives to racing down busy highways in the Balkans, and the risks involved seem greater than I'm willing to take.

I feel kind of disappointed with my self but at the same time, I'm sure there's plenty more adventures to be had away from Albanian truck drivers
That my dear John Allen is excellent thinking. The risks of polytrauma due to riding amongst such terrifying roads are really not worth it. Plus, I'd argue, is it even enjoyable in doing such!! You can make up for it with the nice friednly BB300 (or maybe just ride it forward then in reverse).

Excellent role model of which we need more of.

Disclaimer: I don't know the roads of the balkans personally but have watched much documentaries of roads around those ends that I'd (maybe) not even wish on people I hate. Reseqrch of roads and routes is good and hence why I do alot of research and even a full recce of a 200 miler charity ride I try to set up now and then.

Really good to hear (but sorry for you having to pull out and (seemingly) lose so much money! :sad:
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Thanks Shaf. I fully expected to feel a bit gutted, and that I'd made a mistake by withdrawing my entry. Quite the opposite TBH, I'll be happily dotwatching but I don't regret not making my way to the start.

I've roped a friend into BB200 this year so that should be a nice social weekend - hopefully get a green patch to add to the collection :-bd
psling

Post by psling »

Excuse me going off on the dangerous roads tangent....
Some years ago in the former Yugoslavia I was on a long-distance bus that had 2 drivers; they were quite friendly and more than happy to share the bottle of Arac (Ouzo) that they were both drinking :shock:
(Funny how as a youngster that was pretty cool and seemed perfectly acceptable to me :lol: )
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Johnallan wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:56 pm Thanks Shaf. I fully expected to feel a bit gutted, and that I'd made a mistake by withdrawing my entry. Quite the opposite TBH, I'll be happily dotwatching but I don't regret not making my way to the start.

I've roped a friend into BB200 this year so that should be a nice social weekend - hopefully get a green patch to add to the collection :-bd
I missed your earlier post on this John, that explains not seeing your dot when I looked at how things were going* on Monday afternoon. I don't want to sound negative about the event and I was never considering a road race like this seriously enough to put in an entry, but to validate your decision perhaps, when I was idly thinking about racing the TCR ~8-9 years ago (I love mapping routes out) I kept coming back to that same point - the fastest roads can be the worst roads, Alpine area valley roads are almost always hell and there's always a rider conditioned to smashing out UK A-road TTs who will ride where I wouldn't (as well as ride way faster there). I prefer the winding scenic roads and the hills. And don't get me started on TT bike gear :grin:

*Strasser was closest to the first mandatory section by the look of it. No real suprise then..
Verena

Post by Verena »

Verena wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:15 pm Anyone else dotwatching??

I hope they'll be ok, with the heatwaves, wild fires etc.

I'll be watching cap #191 Marei, she was first female in Taunus bikepacking.

And #249 Jesko, his 4th one I think.
Didn't "my" two do well??

I didn't follow it all closely, but there was a lot more off road stuff happening than one might expect, some of it proper HAB and MTB routes.

I think Jesko's daily reports resonated with a lot of people for being very honest, he had a really tough time, too cold and wet at the start, cracked rim most of the way, a nasty infected gravel rash wound on his hip, the works - but he did it!

And Marei, wow, what an incredible ride, 2nd female to finish, and now she's riding most of the way back he to Germany!!
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

I didn't follow it too closely either but it seems this year was particularly hard on the riders equipment, especially wheels and tyres. It's almost seems unnecessary to put so much off-road riding, so close to the finish of what is predominantly a road race. That said, you know this when you sign up :smile:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

It does make you wonder in terms of duking it out with mad truckers on trunk roads one minute and then riding a rough track the next. The fun of such things is being off the beaten track so either make it a gravel / back road thing or get the roads shut for a full on roadie effort. (oh is that the TdF?)