Bivvy a month 2023.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JimmyG

Re: Bivvy a month 2023.

Post by JimmyG »

fatbikephil wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:28 pm :-bd Practically my back yard Jimmy! I keep meaning to do a bivvy in Blair Adam forest but they seem to be in the process of felling it all at the mo. Good spot that though.
I knew you'd be bound to know the place Phil. :smile: I really should get over into Fife more often.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

May you always have tail wind.
RIP

Post by RIP »

MuddyPete wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:49 am https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... 5-in-a-row

Like bivi-a-month, but noisier :grin:
Sounds familiar to BaM :smile: : “The house is old. I’ve got a car that’s 50 years old and wants repairing. I have neglected one bit to do the other at times. But life’s too short. I’m just going to do what I can until I can’t.”
but noisier
I remember my BaM with Pickers once near Ashby de la Zouch - directly under E Mids airport take off path, next to the railway line and 24-hour gravel plant. Oh and and the lake with all the 4am duck alarm calls :roll: . Not one of our best-scoped spots in retrospect.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Boab

Post by Boab »

A severe case of post holiday can't be arsed has prevailed for the last week and a half. Realising that my last chance for a dry night out this month was Saturday, I headed out late. To the point of drinking my bivvy beer at home, before heading out the door. I had planned on going to an open ended barn thirty odd kilometres away, but couldn't be arsed, so headed for a local (ish) wood I'd had my eyes on. I cycled around a bit trying to find a secluded spot, but ended up back at the entrance glade, hoping that I wouldn't be disturbed by any early morning dog walkers.

Given the forecast was for a clear night, I was slightly disappointed when the stars disappeared behind a veil of cloud and even more disappointed when the first drops of rain hit my face. Thankfully it was only a light, passing shower, but it meant I was awake and struggling to get back to sleep. I did eventually drop off, woken in the grey dawn by the snuffling of some species of deer.

Not wanting to head straight home, I decided to ride in the vague direction of Maglia Rosso, so I could stop for coffee and cake if I felt like it. Half way there the fatigue really cut in, so I turned for home and slowly plodded along. Normally I'd be looking at riding for as much of the day as possible, with multiple coffee stops, but I was just glad to arrive back at the house. I nearly fell asleep while reading Full Tilt and drinking my first coffee, so I'll just have to save the long rides for another day.

https://www.strava.com/activities/9547822602
2023: 7 / 12
Total: 35
Streak: 7
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
NeilA

Post by NeilA »

BAM July 31
7 of 7, 19 of 19

Late in the month again, too busy either working or holidaying.
Returning on 31st from a weekend music festie, there's no procrastination options in my plan.
But I will admit this is the closest I have come to opting out. Not helped by buckets of rain through the evening. My previous 11th hour rides share this weather pattern!! Demons dealt with, off I go, its late, past 2300 hours. Short of time the plan is light on kit, with low mileage, then returning home to ready for tomorrows work. This location wasn't my first choice but decided while cycling to go for it since I bottled my last attempt here due to people present in the adjoining village hall. The bright moon helped me choose a pitch, finding a spot not visible to properties on the overlooking higher land. Trekmaster Squall set up with mesh door option, swigged whisky, then to sleep, straight through to early morn. Perfect.

Sponsored by Alpkit
Top buyer from Joe's shop, Weirdos on Bikes
RIP

Post by RIP »

NeilA wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:23 pm there's no procrastination options in my plan.... not helped by buckets of rain... demons dealt with... wasn't my first choice but decided while cycling to go for it...
Good work Neil, one compliments your fortitude :smile: . Playgrounds are always a good bet, usually flat and grassy, with the bonus of having a go on the slide in the morning!
Perfect
Indeed :smile:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Bit of a late upload for July BAM due to being away, but got it ticked off. Given the weather forecast I opted for the tent over the bivvy bag. So after tea I was heading off up towards the Clwyds through Cilcain up to star crossing with a rough spot in mind with steady climbing most of the way up pitching on one of the Welsh Water facilities. Not much mileage for this local really 17 mile out and 15 back with 2800ft ish toughest part was the climbing up there with a belly full of Lasagne :lol:

Imagepro-2vpjA8GF by Lee Rowe, on Flickr
Made it this far before a downpour :roll: but did have a little looksi around for other potentail spots for another night along the way

Imagepro-vSV3btEP by Lee Rowe, on Flickr
Looking back down on Little Beirut in the distance

Imagepro-RkdtWscD by Lee Rowe, on Flickr
Star crossing straight on

Imagepro-3bZ9X0UH by Lee Rowe, on Flickr
Cambodian singletrack

Imagepro-SicvjLxY by Lee Rowe, on Flickr
Looking down towards base camp, dark n quiet

Imagepro-rldhw7oO by Lee Rowe, on Flickr
Camp spot sorted, even carried my stove for a brew and took food thinking of a little supper but the pile of Lasagne was more than enough

Imagepro-NKVR0TnT by Lee Rowe, on Flickr
Carried brew kit for no reason just packed up and got back on the road to home for breakfast

Imagepro-ikAstazz by Lee Rowe, on Flickr
Squeaky gates at dawn

Imagepro-jnsLdU89 by Lee Rowe, on Flickr
Loggerheads not open at 7am :lol:

Imagepro-AtiZz2k5 by Lee Rowe, on Flickr
A little sunrise trying to break through

All in all a decent little night out locally

July BAM complete - Welsh Water edition
7/12 :-bd
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Sadly, a failure to report for me and pip. A combination of work and family stuff meant we didn't get a chance to get out in July, so that's that. It doesn't sound that hard to achieve (especially after ticking off Jan and Feb!), but I found it takes a lot to keep on getting out - congrats to all who are still plodding on!
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Sorry to hear that, have enjoyed reading about your trips and you've inspired me to rope my eldest in on one before the year's out.
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Ah, that's great to hear👍I haven't ruled out a few more trips this year, but first I've got to school him in the art of packing his own f**king bike!
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Been there but one day he might not even ride the bike( like mine) so enjoy it while it lasts is my advice
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I think the summer months can be harder to get out in than winter as that's when you have loads of other stuff on to distract you from a bivvy ride. Feel free to jump back in RT - you can always do a September to September bam (or start again next year) :-bd
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Cheers all. Got PBP next week, so I've got a feeling there will be some ditch sleeping on the menu.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Retiredtester wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:45 pm Cheers all. Got PBP next week, so I've got a feeling there will be some ditch sleeping on the menu.
Ohhh, good luck!!
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Verena wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:51 pm
Retiredtester wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:45 pm Cheers all. Got PBP next week, so I've got a feeling there will be some ditch sleeping on the menu.
Ohhh, good luck!!
Thanks! 🤞🤞🤞
josh

Post by josh »

A delayed write up for July (done on the 31st,) and August (on the 3rd)...

I recently spent 4.5 days cycling around the Bear Bones Bash route at a comfortable pace. Not quite ready for the BB200 format yet, though maybe with a slimmed down kit (no chair!).

I wild camped for 1 night (July BAM ✓), camped in at a campsite for 1.5 nights, slept in a summerhouse at one of the campsite for 0.5 nights after unexpectedly strong winds flattened my tent at 1am. My last night was an unplanned bothy stop (August BAM ✓), which felt very luxurious.

I spent hours pushing, pulling and lifting my bike across and over boggy tussocks, through streams and puddles that seemed endless. My feet were unavoidably wet for the whole time I was riding (& pushing) each day. Thank god for merino socks. I don't know why I didn't think to take my Sealskinz socks, to at least try and stay dry.

I was both relieved and disappointed to reach sections of tarmac. The weather was mostly quite kind and I only got pretty wet instead of very wet most of the time and only slightly blown around instead of blown off my feet.

I got so used to the routine of bikepacking, my trip felt simultaneously longer and shorter than the 4.5 days it was.

Wales is a landscape that's got a special place in my heart, having been a regular visitor over the years with my Dad for a week of riding every year. I've always lived in Kent, but I guess I've long considered Wales my 'spiritual' home.

So many countless, small things happened that made the trip what it was for me, but are entirely inconsequential to anyone else:
- I met other bike packers and sheltered from the rain outside the Co-op at Machynlleth and chatted for a while.
- I learnt for myself, very quickly, that just because there's a green dashed line on the map, it doesn't mean there's a visible path to follow in real life. And even if there is, it may not be all that path-like.
- I had a few near misses and one very close over-the-bars on a mundane section of sheep track.
- Some sections of downhill (like the last descent into Rhayader) were dangerously fun on a loaded bike.
- Finding a bridge over a water crossing instead of wading though yet more water.
- Drying out my shoes & socks while stopped for lunch one day, only to have an unavoidable, knee deep water crossing less than 10 minutes later, much to my despair.
- Views, basically all day, every day – I hadn't realised just how empty (of people) mid Wales can be.
- The relief of unexpectedly finding a bike shop 4 minutes before they close and getting some much needed chain lube.

The Bear Bones Bash route was vastly different to the rides I've done before. It took some time to get used to the different terrain and moving speed. The route and the surroundings exceeded any expectations I might have had and were a welcome change to 'easier' routes like the King Alfred's Way which I'd done a couple of months before.

This is looking back up something that was definitely a downhill hike-a-bike and I still nearly fell flat on my arse.

This is not my idea of a bridleway. Often, even if there was a path, this was less usable than the surrouding ground.

July's BAM wildcamp spot.

The first 'proper' water crossing was a little intimidating. This was the best spot I could find to corss. The slab on the other side is steeper and wetter than it looks!

This inocuous looking section of trail resulted in me coming very close to going over the bars

Ahh, atmospheric singletrack. Lovely.

First stay in a bothy was great. Had it all to myself.
Last edited by josh on Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
Whilst we all crave riding in dry weather and on dry trails (except Reg :grin: ) riding in those conditions always makes a much better tale and leaves a much more lasting impression.
Verena

Post by Verena »

That looks amazing, well done in those soggy conditions, sounds like you properly "immersed" yourself in that experience for those days....
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Epic! :smile:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

NeilA wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:34 pm We ate food, Pam a nice little snack
Cannibalism? :shock:
So LNT recommended - it's delays possible legal proceeding I hear ... :wink:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

josh wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:02 pm
- Drying out my shoes & socks while stopped for lunch one day, only to have an unavoidable, knee deep water crossing less than 10 minutes later, much to my despair.

July's BAM wildcamp spot.

The first 'proper' water crossing was a little intimidating. This was the best spot I could find to cross. The slab on the other side is steeper and wetter than it looks!
i'm glad you had a good time.
Wet feet part of the adventure.
....Memories are really made of this...MARMOT :wink:
It always best to rein it in when going solo.
Also nice tent, x-mid?
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
josh

Post by josh »

ledburner wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:15 am Also nice tent, x-mid?
Apart from a peg pulling out and the tent collapsing on me at 1am one night, yes. I put that down to exceptionally wet ground, only using the four corner stakes and one ridge guyline, on what turned out to be the opposite side from the unexpected wind.

Otherwise, I’m very happy with it. A great combination of pack size, ease of use and weight. Getting it delivered to the UK negated much of the ‘direct to consumer’ cost saving, turning it from a pretty reasonably priced tent to a pretty expensive one.

I’d seen plenty of verging on, what seemed to be, sycophantic reviews for the X-Mid tents and while I decided to order one I really didn’t expect it to be that great. It really does seem to be though, of course there are compromises, you can’t have everything, but I feel like it’s had an awful lot of thought about how and where to make them, and where to not.

I’d buy another one.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Headed out last night to get August's bivvy done. Had a spot in mind, but left an hour later than I wanted, so didn't quite make it that far. Found a spot around midnight with no visible lights, so pitched up, drank a beer and tried to sleep. Was woken up multiple time in the night by barking muntjac, otherwise I slept in fits and starts as usual. Upon waking, I packed up the contents of the tnet, got dress, and upon exiting the tent found I had direct line of sight to the nearest farmhouse; I promptly dropped the tent, and packed up everything else and moved on.

The first task of the day, was more water and some caffeine, so a quick stop was made at Sudbury Waitrose; I also got a pastry the size of my face. Then it was various and sundry byways and bridleways to Maglia Rosso for coffee and cake. Some of the bridleways left a lot to be desired and my arms and legs are still tingling from al the nettle stings.

The weather started to get a bit more changeable after my coffee and cake, with the odd shower visible around and about; thankfully I missed pretty much all of them. The route home was prety much more fanny around on various and sundry bridleways and byways till I got tired enough to call it a day.

https://www.strava.com/activities/9632478813
2023: 8 / 12
Total: 36
Streak: 8
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Verena

Post by Verena »

August BAM last night - the GBDuro edition.
Sort of deconstructed, in three parts.

Short local loop Saturday morning, taking in bits of the GBDuro route as it passes close to me, riding in opposite direction, and scouting for some bivvy spots on the way.

ImageIMG_20230812_094804 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

This would do nicely.
ImageIMG_20230812_100501 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

In the evening, headed out again with a HUGE amount of stuff - creature comforts for a long night, and the snacking to exercise ratio was very much weighted towards the snacking side of things.... Half an hours ride, in the rain (shorts and T-Shirt, might as well get soaked through then change into dry clothes once camp was all set up), met up with my friend, topped up some water bottles at the visitor centre, then we found the general area and did a lot of faffing to get set up with tarps and bits and bobs.

Played with my new toy to heat up some stew and make hot chocolates, stayed up late chatting, snacking, drinking a couple of beers, snacking some more, and keeping an eye on the progress of the GBDuro (realising of course anyway that there was practically zero chance of any riders passing through while we were there, even if we went for an extremely leisurely long morning there, involving lots of coffee, and yes, more snacking (which we did by the way).

New toy is a stainless steel stove to burn moss leaves twigs pine cones that sort of thing. Picked it up in Aldi in Germany (my mum bought one to prepare for the zombie apocalypse,so I thought, I'll get one myself. Along with another toy, a 4- in- 1 pillow, picnic blanket, sleeping bag, and poncho, neat :-bd
ImageIMG_20230813_133451 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

(Anyone have any thoughts by the way on these stoves?)

It rained - cosy under our tarps.

Views in the morning
ImageIMG_20230813_064353 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20230813_085114 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20230813_082808 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Rode home, did family stuff, then headed out later for a dog walk, and managed to "catch" 3 out of the 4 first group pf riders coming through. Beautiful sunny day by the afternoon.

ImageIMG_20230813_152428 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20230813_152459 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20230813_155748 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

8/12
Last edited by Verena on Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tractionman

Post by Tractionman »

:-bd love the bivvy tales and pics, thanks for posting 👍