More confused after research!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

howsey16

Re: More confused after research!

Post by howsey16 »

Just looking at the durston x-mid..... it looks quality! But where on earth do you buy then from?!
Boab

Post by Boab »

howsey16 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:51 pm Just looking at the durston x-mid..... it looks quality! But where on earth do you buy then from?!
Canada.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
howsey16

Post by howsey16 »

Do we have to have them imported into the UK? Or is there a UK seller?

I have been looking into loads of tents and this is the first that has really caught my attention.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Kaviso takes care of all the import stuff AFAIR. I believe you put in your country (UK) and they add the appropriate (extortionate) taxes. So you just pay the full sum. Think it was coming to about £330 all in...
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

howsey16 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:40 pm What have others done in the past when starting getting into it? Any experiences from hindsight?
Either bivy with no protection but just a sleeping bag/mat or my former single wall mountaineering tent (very low dome).
I still go with the cow boy camping method in stable weather, all seasons. Nothing beats the view of night sky. In uncertain weather, depending on location and time of year, it's anything from a tarp to a storm proof 2 persons mid.

Locus Gear makes superb mids (from own experience).
Six Moon Designs has a good shelter as mentioned before, the Deschutes (or it's sibling with the inner).

A place to look for mids and other bikepacking friendly shelters is Liteway and Trekkertent (no experience).

howsey16 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:41 pm Do we have to have them imported into the UK? Or is there a UK seller?

I have been looking into loads of tents and this is the first that has really caught my attention.
The Durston X-Mid 2 (have the Pro version, 2nd batch) is great for 2 persons. The 1 P version makes quite a bit less sense, since you have two doors and two vestibules and nearly the same weight as the 2 P (Pro versions in comparison, may be different with the SilPoly ones). If wind is strong and direction changes the two doors may come in handy, otherwise it's just added weight and something more to break.
Unfortunately not nearly as strong in the wind as eg Locus Gear Khufu, mainly due to lack of tie outs on all seams and the large side panels. Even in use with all available tie outs (4 above the floor) and a taught set up, high'ish wind speeds flatten the side panel and make one large area, which doesn't shed the wind well. The X-Mid has two sides where it deals really well with wind, but unfortunately the wind direction sometimes changes. In my case the build quality was rubbish (glue/tape residue all over it, some seams not straight, no pockets inside. Functionality seems to be there, so I didn't complain and am using it. I'm currently undertaking modifications on it to make it more windproof by adding more tie out points and adding pockets and better door loops.
To squeeze many nights out of it better use a lightweight selfmade groundcloth from a sturdy fabric (double sided PU coated Ripstop at 40 - 45 g/m2 or something similar), otherwise it's be worn through with 50 - 100 nights (talking from experience with other lightweight floors).
Whilst my girlfriend and I like it much as a comfy, highly liveable tent, I see real mids (one pole) as a better option for bikepacking, especially when using the tent on your own; only one pole, no mods needed for stability in high winds (I like to cycle across Iceland kind of regularly, wouldn't use an unmodded X-Mid Pro for it), more flexibility, less bulk (the large space especially of the two vestibules comes with a price - large panels of fabric), better with snow load.

I know, "they" (other folks on the www) all say how good it is shedding snow. Compared to the mids I've used it's actually not good at all. It's so bad, I bailed on a trip early winter last year in conditions I would've happily spent another night out with a classic mid. The long, not so steep sides of the X-Mid get squashed quite badly with anything more than 10 cm of rather wet snow. Similar issue with the flat back side of the Deschutes though. PyraOmm, Khufu et al. fair better with their steeper shapes.

Some points of the X-Mid may not be of concern for many users and some also only apply for the Pro version I guess. I'm just trying to point out, that whilst it's a fantastic shape for most uses, it comes with downsides.

It depends what you want.
Most flexibility with low weight and low bulk will come from a classic mid and a removable mesh/ripstop inner. This way you can save further weight/bulk if you go on a trip where you don't need an inner tent.
Probably also the cheapest option.

Trekkertent may also have something that suits your needs. Made in the UK.

Once again I'm not overly positive about some kind of gear (here the X-Mid Pro 2 P) the rest of the world is raving about. Take it for what you want. This is just the experience of one person. Not more, not less.
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:44 pm Kaviso takes care of all the import stuff AFAIR. I believe you put in your country (UK) and they add the appropriate (extortionate) taxes. So you just pay the full sum. Think it was coming to about £330 all in...
If you knew someone in Canada .... would it help ... Get them to buy it and be delivered to them ... they "try it and don't get on with it" you buy it off them 2nd hand :wink:
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Here's a bit of a lowdown on me getting a Durston x-mid

https://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpB ... 59#p308659
M4tt

Post by M4tt »

I've just gone through the same decision process, replacing an old, original version of the Luxe Mini Peak (mentioned earlier in the thread by @bearbonesnorm).

My final 2 were the Durston 1P Solid vs the Nemo Dragonfly Bikepack 1P.

It was really close, the Durston looks excellent but in the end, I pulled the trigger on the Nemo (+footprint). The main thing swinging it... I want the flexibility that free-standing gives me when fussily choosing a spot to camp.

I've not tested it in anger yet but the space/height is great, seam sealed from the factory and I'm interested in what difference I'll see from the sil poly vs sil nylon of the mini peak.
howsey16

Post by howsey16 »

yourguitarhero wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:25 am Here's a bit of a lowdown on me getting a Durston x-mid

https://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpB ... 59#p308659
This has made me want one even more!