Widening wildcamping

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Cheeky Monkey

Re: Widening wildcamping

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I wrote a response then didn't bother. Now in the pub waiting for my tea so here goes belligerence :lol:

It looks like horseshit to me. An attempt to monetise quirky campsites. Sell, sell, sell - fees bloody everywhere with a veneer of "wild" to make it all seem cool. Stepping stone? My arse!

The anonymity of it as an entity also tweaks my tin hat. For something that spaffs a lot of "values" it's remarkably oblique about who it is (FYI one and only director with registered address in Spofforth near Harrogate if you bother to look).

Nah just a way for someone to try and make money out of summat which in its essence is free and simple.

Right, I'm off to the beach to shout at the tide :???: :roll: :cool:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Lazarus wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:28 pm
I generally won't cross a fence or climb over a gate to bivi
Never really bothered me but dont think i would do it in a field with an arable crop
That's a more refined way to put it, agreed. Working fields aren't camping spots. Nominal boundaries Vs content.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Never really bothered me but dont think i would do it in a field with an arable crop
I'd rather in a field with an arable crop, as in the very edge of it, not steppin on any of the crop, ducking behind the hedge out of sight, than one which is just grass.
I always thought that anyway, and my experience on the transcambrian with a companion who persuaded me otherwise, only proved me right, as both times there were animals in there, one scary middle of the night cow encounter, and one extremely curious horse wanting to play with our stuff as we were setting up, so hasty exit...
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:12 pm I wrote a response then didn't bother. Now in the pub waiting for my tea so here goes belligerence :lol:

It looks like horseshit to me. An attempt to monetise quirky campsites. Sell, sell, sell - fees bloody everywhere with a veneer of "wild" to make it all seem cool. Stepping stone? My arse!

The anonymity of it as an entity also tweaks my tin hat. For something that spaffs a lot of "values" it's remarkably oblique about who it is (FYI one and only director with registered address in Spofforth near Harrogate if you bother to look).

Nah just a way for someone to try and make money out of summat which in its essence is free and simple.

Right, I'm off to the beach to shout at the tide :???: :roll: :cool:
I love the anonymity point made in this brilliant rant. It’s a clear indicator of marketing bullshit.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Verena wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:50 am
I'd rather in a field with an arable crop, as in the very edge of it, not steppin on any of the crop, ducking behind the hedge out of sight, than one which is just grass.
I always thought that anyway, and my experience on the transcambrian with a companion who persuaded me otherwise, only proved me right, as both times there were animals in there, one scary middle of the night cow encounter, and one extremely curious horse wanting to play with our stuff as we were setting up, so hasty exit...
Yes, mee too. Edge of field with crop hiding me out of sight. Obviously not sleeping on the crops nor distrubing em. Only used to either tick the BAM thing or too tired to continue and having a quick snooze (in super late, out super early, with a tiny bivy).
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Thoughts:
It may well reduce conflicts caused by 'fly campers'
It may be a good way for less confident campers to get a wilderness experience (it's all relative after all - how wild is any site in England?)
It will open up new sites, giving punters, I mean wild campers, more choice - reducing pressure elsewhere.
It won't take long for some sites to have 'papery poo piles' etc behind trees.
It's not for me. If I want certainty, but am paying £10-20, I'd want loos and shower. If I want wild camping, I'll wild camp.
Fires - at least two photos of them on the site, not obviously contained. Fires and wild camping are a 'NO'
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

I like the idea of this, I realize that this is a heretical statement in these parts and may result in me being shunned completely :???: but I don't exclusively wild camp or bivi :sad: . I don't much like your traditional campsite either. :lol: This weekend was a good example of what I like and why this website could be useful. My partner and I had decided we wanted a weekend away camping and fancied doing some walking in a different part of the country for a change. Wild camping was a possibility but we also wanted to lol about camp, cook proper food and not have to turn up late and sod off early and really didn't fancy a formal site. We found a small "site" (not via this website) with a handful of pitches in an old apple orchard with a tap and a couple of toilets. Nice flat pitch, 3 other tents visible through the trees and had the feel of being camped in a nice quiet wood rather than on a huge mowed lawn with people going up and down at the edge of our pitch.

Spent Saturday late afternoon and early evening sitting about cooking and eating and just enjoying the peace and quiet. Nodded hello to one of the other campers near the tap was as social as it got and then had a lazyish start on Sunday enjoying Bacon rolls and tea in the last of the weekends sunshine without feeling like we had to move off before the dog walker's turned up. All in all bloody brilliant it was! :-bd

I think there are quire a few people who want this sort of camping and as there isn't currently an easy way to find these sites this may be an answer. As with so many things Nothing for nothing and F*** all for free. Somebody has seen an opportunity to make a few bob off joining camp site and camper together in a slightly niche area and good luck to them, turning a a bit of a profit for having an idea, giving it a go and putting effort in is not wrong in my opinion.
Last edited by AndreR on Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
psling

Post by psling »

AndreR wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:58 pm I like the idea of this, I realize that this is a heretical statement in these parts and may result in me being shunned completely but I don't exclusively wild camp or bivi.
Without an emoji this is quite a surprising opening gambit, especially as the majority of comments in this thread are supportive of the idea even when people express that they may not use it themselves.

In this day and age of the internet these services are going to crop up and prove a useful tool. The 'good old fashioned campsite' still exists though; I have passed many a wooden sign hanging at a farm entrance with a tent drawing and "CAMPING" painted on it. I like these campsites and quite often that rustic old sign is the only advertising they need. Just have to remember to carry good ol'fashioned cash :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.