Long live the Mukluk

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

voodoo_simon

Long live the Mukluk

Post by voodoo_simon »

Salsa has decided to stop selling their Mukluk.

Long live the Mukluk! It will now be named HeyDay…
In 2020, Salsa consulted with a third-party group to audit our product names for problematic or offensive vocabulary.

The audit and other external feedback identified the Mukluk name — inspired by traditional indigenous footwear in arctic regions — as potentially problematic.

With this in mind, we chose to change the Mukluk name for MY24 and beyond. The new name, Heyday!, speaks to our brand values and the platform’s ride experience.
Attachments
IMG_8731.jpeg
IMG_8731.jpeg (202.27 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
fatbikephil

Re: Long live the Mukluk

Post by fatbikephil »

Struggling to see how naming a bike designed for riding on snow after a piece of footwear which is designed for walking snow is offensive but hey ho.
Still got my Mk1 in the loft and a very nice thing it is too!
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Struggling to see how naming a bike designed for riding on snow after a piece of footwear which is designed for walking snow is offensive but hey ho.
Still got my Mk1 in the loft and a very nice thing it is too!
Maybe the company they employed was at the extreme end of political correctness? Good point Phil...

I remember when 'half caste' became wrong. My sons mixed race and my then wife had a right good go at me. Marriage lasted a very short while and turned out she was more of a horrible 'thingy' (not for correcting my terminology) than I initially thought. He's 18 going on 19 now, so was a very long time ago. Wonder what else Salsa will be changing (good on em for trying).

*Name changed from 'cow' to 'thingy' for PR purposes :smile:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I suspect that having watched colonialist settlers take their land and natural resources, and massively affect their way of life, it may stick in the craw of the indigenous peoples concerned when those colonialists start trademarking and profiting from their long established vocabulary.
redefined_cycles

Thanks Bearlegged.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Bearlegged wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:01 pm I suspect that having watched colonialist settlers take their land and natural resources, and massively affect their way of life, it may stick in the craw of the indigenous peoples concerned when those colonialists start trademarking and profiting from their long established vocabulary.
Excellent explanation. Must admit I was researching into the word Mukluk but came up blank, so thank you. I suspect Salsa will also have to change a few of their current bikes names going forward.

Not sure about the new name though.

My Mukluk doesn’t get much riding these days but during its heyday (see what I did there!) it certainly took me to places that non-fat bikes just couldn’t cope with. Been an excellent bikepacking bike too, (personally speaking) just not the best for my day-to-day riding.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

No, doesn't do much for me either. I've always felt that Heyday is something in the past, giving the impression the bike is no longer at its best!
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Bearlegged wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:31 am
No, doesn't do much for me either. I've always felt that Heyday is something in the past, giving the impression the bike is no longer at its best!
Agree, this is a bit like when they rebranded the "Journeyman" to "journeyer". I don't mind dropping the "man", it's just that I don't recall anyone ever being referred to as a Journeyer. They could have just called it "journey" (rest in peace Terry Wogan! 🤣).

Still, from the embargoed email they sent out by accident to everyone yesterday it looks like the first batch haven't got any name on them. I recommend calling it "Yeti" because of the winter connection. That's not going to cause any problems, right?
redefined_cycles

Will if it's found that the Yeti feels offended. I'd be offended if I was a/the Yeti :smile:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:13 pm Will if it's found that the Yeti feels offended. I'd be offended if I was a/the Yeti :smile:
Yeti (cycle, CO, USA) had "an issue" coming from Change.org; they (change.org) 'petitioned' to force Yeti to stop using the term Yeti "tribe" (owners group).
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Alpinum wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:27 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:13 pm Will if it's found that the Yeti feels offended. I'd be offended if I was a/the Yeti :smile:
Yeti (cycle, CO, USA) had "an issue" coming from Change.org; they (change.org) 'petitioned' to force Yeti to stop using the term Yeti "tribe" (owners group).
I was just thinking about Yeti's legal team jumping on it, forgot they'd been on the receiving end as well!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearlegged wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:01 pm I suspect that having watched colonialist settlers take their land and natural resources, and massively affect their way of life, it may stick in the craw of the indigenous peoples concerned when those colonialists start trademarking and profiting from their long established vocabulary.
Aye I guess that's the problem isn't it - on the face of it an innocent name but when you look at the wider context....
Call the new one the snowshoe?
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

There's a joke in there somewhere about the fact that the Americans have already misappropriated our language enough already so we don't really care if they do it again.
redefined_cycles

Alpinum wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:27 pm
Aha. Yes, never actually thought of that. Good for them. Don't think Yeti ever changed the name though did they? Don't have any thoughts either way btw (and sometimes glad I needn't have to determine such decisions).
redefined_cycles

Might seem a but off topic, but to me it is. It's one of the reasons why I always ensure to call Masjid, a, Maajid. Not 'Mosque' which I'm unsure where it came from (though have heard some negative associations on the Grapevine Press...

Masjid... Not, 'mosque'. Unfortunately some of the 'Masaajid' plural for Masjid (muslim place of worship where 5 times prayer is established - specifically the area where the prayers take place) have ended up also taking the name 'Mosque'. So becomes a bit hard to explain one-self.

Sorry, back on topic on Mukluk etc.
redefined_cycles

Update, after a quick google. Sounds like it is an 'over the grapevine' rumour which I first heard (that it was termed together when such and such said he'd/they'd swat the muslims out like Mosquitos) about 20 years ago.

Regardless, I'll stick with the name Masjid as there's no need for it to be evolved :smile:

Sorry again...

https://muslimspeak.wordpress.com/2009/ ... rd-mosque/
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I always assumed that mosque came about for the same sort of reasons that Jerez became known as Sherry - something got mangled in the translation.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Assumginly Yeti has ever since been without any brand name complaints from the abominable snowman.
Which in different regions of the Himalayas has different names anyways. Such an unorganised bunch...
Eg. chumong, cheti, nyalmo (only those I can think of, but there will be at least 20 more names).
redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:25 pm Masjid... Not, 'mosque'. Unfortunately some of the 'Masaajid' plural for Masjid (muslim place of worship where 5 times prayer is established - specifically the area where the prayers take place) have ended up also taking the name 'Mosque'
Interesting. In India I always went with Masjid, as it was the used term. In Switzerland I call them Moschee (the German term which sounds like a mix of mosque and masjid). Never thought of this more globally. I'm afraid most of my colleagues and friends wouldn't know what I mean if I'd say masjid...
PaulB2 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:13 pm I always assumed that mosque came about for the same sort of reasons that Jerez became known as Sherry - something got mangled in the translation.
And I thought Jerez was just one of the places famous for Sherry :grin:

Got to love languages and etymology.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

There's a recent surge in the USA of removing/renaming sports teams/events that had native American names.

The Washington Redskins are now the Washington Commanders; Dirty Kanza is now Unbound Gravel.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I dont think you need to be the most woke individual to see the offence in redskin as a name or calling a race of people Dirty.
I am sure some think it goes too far, and it can sometimes, but its fundamentally just an attempt to not be offensive to people.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

My first fat bike was the Mk1 Mukluk, I had the first one in the UK.
I never wanted a steel fat bike so when they announced the Aluminium Mukluk I imported one when times were easier to do such things
A great bike
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Lazarus wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:02 pm I dont think you need to be the most woke individual to see the offence in redskin as a name or calling a race of people Dirty.
I am sure some think it goes too far, and it can sometimes, but its fundamentally just an attempt to not be offensive to people.
In defence of my ignorance I thought that "Kanza" was diminutive form of "Kansas" rather than the name of an indigenous tribe from which the state was named. Until the race appeared I hadn't heard the word before.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I had no idea till I googled it either ( we are not Americans) and thought the same as you.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

whitestone wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:26 am In defence of my ignorance I thought that "Kanza" was diminutive form of "Kansas" rather than the name of an indigenous tribe from which the state was named.
The joke goes that American place names are either the first to get there or the last to leave.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Shame the names being dropped.
My Mukluk is 3 months from being 10 years old, I bloody love it :-bd
They might have to rename the brand itself in case Salsa dancers or Salsa eaters get offended :roll:
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos