Bikepacking hall of fame?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: Bikepacking hall of fame?

Post by redefined_cycles »

For me, the three people that changed my life/riding and helped me to ride further (I 'bivy to ride') is Wildcat (before I knew of/about Ian), then Ian Barrington and his extraordinary ventures - Stu and Reg go without saying (I am always extemely grateful to you two, and the rest who know who they are) - then Karl.

Recently I mentally added Jon Climber to that list too. Though he was always a legend in my eyes, but a recent message made me realise how far out the box he actually thinks/looks.

I could say, Mike Hall aswell who may have kicked off my love/desire to ride farther... Is that more than three :shock: sorry... Lemme see...

1. Wildcat Gear, Beth, Ian B and Bearbones Bikepacking (think it was Ian that led me to BB forum)
2. Mike Hall, Transcontinental Race (before I actually knew he was the course record holder for the TD thingy) and without a doubt the chap he was racing during the Australian Race - so humble, both of em and the interview Mike had done of him [forgotten his name, but it's my lovely dyslexia] was so fantastic and down to earth. Still can't find it since his sad death...
3. Karl and 'The Others' (including Gian).
jameso

Post by jameso »

forgotten his name, but it's my lovely dyslexia
Kristoff Allegaert... Super Randonneur. One of (the?) leading road endurance racers of recent years - no-one came close to him in the 3 years he raced the TCR.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

jameso wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:30 am
forgotten his name, but it's my lovely dyslexia
Kristoff Allegaert... Super Randonneur. One of (the?) leading road endurance racers of recent years - no-one came close to him in the 3 years he raced the TCR.
Thanks, yes... That's right James. I even bought my jacket due to his being sponsored by them (Sportful) and it's indeed lovely. He did the unsupported LeJOG with probably a record (for unsupported) time but didn't want any attention. Amazing and lovely chap (from what can be seen when he speaks and how he conducts himself generally). School teacher I think he is.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:38 pmRecently I mentally added Jon Climber to that list too. Though he was always a legend in my eyes, but a recent message made me realise how far out the box he actually thinks/looks.
#blush

When you say "Bikepacking" I class this as a chilled out ride, stop when you fancy, take photos, taking poor show with mates and not religiously flowing a line on a GPS.

Yes Mike Hall of course my number 1 hero and meeting him at a Winter Event will live with me forever, but to me ITT's are not my sort of bike packing so the racers couldn't be in my Hall of fame.

My hall of fame is those who ride for the fun of it and never take it too seriously
Jeff Price, Barry Godin, Reg, Verena, Whatsit and everyone in our little WRT whatsap chat group etc
Cotic_cath

Post by Cotic_cath »

I’d second John Climber for the HoF - if it wasn’t for his nagging I wouldn’t get out at all :wink: :lol:

And I’m also pleased to see Lee Craigie make the list on page 1. I’d also add her other half, Alice Lemkes. Oh, and also not forgetting Jenny Graham.

HoF of the future I’d look at Allen :-)
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Cotic_cath wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:37 pm I’d second John Climber for the HoF - if it wasn’t for his nagging I wouldn’t get out at all :wink: :lol:

And I’m also pleased to see Lee Craigie make the list on page 1. I’d also add her other half, Alice Lemkes. Oh, and also not forgetting Jenny Graham.

HoF of the future I’d look at Allen :-)
Jenny Graham is a great shout, how could I forget her! Besides her amazing cycling CV, she’s a brilliant presenter on the GCN channel
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Jenn. *

If you don't know the story of her pre-TDR, GDMBR combo ride on SS and the "issues" that occured. it's worth digging back through the archives on Bikepacking.net and if you can find it the articles in ST and Mountain Flyer.

Mike and John Curiak or Stamstead (take your pick).

Cranes are an interesting idea, though I always associate them with running! Running the Himalayas is an excellent read.

* EDIT: just had a massive sad moment when I realised I still really miss my friend :(
faustus

Post by faustus »

Good call on Jenn. It was her articles in singletrack and Whatmtb that piqued my interest in the Tour divide, plus it was a great article in its own right. Intrigued by what those 'issues' were...might have to look that up.

I'd also give another vote for Cass Gilbert. Been following him for a very long time, firstly on his old wordpress blog when he was actually still going north-south through the Americas and was still in the states. Seen him go from mostly touring with panniers to going to bags strapped to bike. Lots of excellent photography and words along the way, a nice philosophy to riding, and a key part of bikepacking.com too.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

I was going to say Bill Higham ( brother of Pip) an old mate used to work with him,
Both top blokes, but then I read the rest……Alexandra Houchin is inspirational
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Also, John Prolly* but maybe add him to the mountain bike hall of fame?

*of The Radavist fame…
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

But... I tend to struggle with getting excited by some person who did something.
Ditto

Not that there aren't lovely and great people but HoF is just (to me) a continuum of the Industry-Awards-genre which is a broadly horseshit endeavor of mutual-back-slapping for those that can be bothered to write a submission and engage in the tedious exercise of promotion (self- or otherwise).

:cool:
JackT

Post by JackT »