Kayak Oar/Long Pole Carrying on a bike

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

Kayak Oar/Long Pole Carrying on a bike

Post by dlovett »

Does anybody have a good set up for carrying a one piece Kayak Oar or a long pole on a bike? If so can you share details of it please.

I have a one piece Greenland paddle (small width blades approximately 2m tall) that I was thinking of attaching to the fork with the blade just above the end using something like a monkey cage. I was then going to attach it to the bars near the top of the blade and have the remainder of the paddle sticking vertically up. It's for a short ish 2 mile journey from home to the sailing club, but it will be on busy major urban roads and so it does need to be both secure and road legal.

I do have a bike trailer but we cannot no matter what find the key to the dlock that keeps it secure and I can't seem to pick that open.

TIA
thenorthwind

Re: Kayak Oar/Long Pole Carrying on a bike

Post by thenorthwind »

Whenever I've had to transport something long I've just strapped it to the top tube in two places. Done this with garden tools, 3m lengths of conduit, etc. Put something between if you're bothered about frame/paddle.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

thenorthwind wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:11 pm Whenever I've had to transport something long I've just strapped it to the top tube in two places. Done this with garden tools, 3m lengths of conduit, etc. Put something between if you're bothered about frame/paddle.
Same here. I do it with ski's. Lightweight and rather narrow (for powder ski standards very narrow) skimo ones.
Skistrap around head tube and one around seat tube. Depending on how I feel, the minimalis pin binding or steel edge will face outwards.
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

thenorthwind wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:11 pm Whenever I've had to transport something long I've just strapped it to the top tube in two places. Done this with garden tools…..
We used to see lots of this back in the days when people didn’t have cars, but did have allotments. Fork/rake/hoe etc on the top tube and a basket on the front or back to carry the vegetables in. 'T was easier then though, because top tubes were horizontal, not sloping like most are nowadays
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

There's a cyclist gardener that I often see doing maintenance on road verges when I'm going for a run around town - he's normally got a rake, broom and strimmer attached to his bike along with panniers with shears and other tools.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

I've tried my Greenland paddle along the top tube, but as its made from Cedar it was denting when strapped in place.
I think it needs packing and protecting before I try it again