Audax. anyone ride em ?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

Re: Audax. anyone ride em ?

Post by dlovett »

Retiredtester wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:40 pm A set of cheap Tri bars have been a revelation for me. Obviously no good for group riding, but great for taking the pressure off the hands.
Ditto on this, I ride with them on drops, straight and Jones. Gives a whole load of other options for holding.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

dlovett wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:06 pm
Retiredtester wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:40 pm A set of cheap Tri bars have been a revelation for me. Obviously no good for group riding, but great for taking the pressure off the hands.
Ditto on this, I ride with them on drops, straight and Jones. Gives a whole load of other options for holding.
Have often thought about this. But feels an awckward position and I always worry I'll not reach the brake levers in time. Same as cruise control on motorway I suppose, so I should embrace the change.

Plus... I guess appropriately priced tri bars wouldn't fit well on an aero handlebar!?
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

You get used to it very quickly shaf. I'm commuting on the bike I'll use for PBP and spend a good 80% of the 35k ride on the tri bars now. Makes a noticeable difference to average speed too, so win win!
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

A fortnight ago I did my first 1300km, up from 1000km. The last couple of hours my arms just gave up and I needed the aerobars to hold me up, to be able to keep going. I think they're essential for 600+ just to give muscles a rest or change
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I've only really used TT bars on longer audaxes, 400km+ - they do help in the latter half for me.

I'm not a fan of people using them in bunches, I tend to leave when a group I'm in contains a person riding mid pack on extensions. Not worth it.
redefined_cycles

Retiredtester wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:23 pm You get used to it very quickly shaf. I'm commuting on the bike I'll use for PBP and spend a good 80% of the 35k ride on the tri bars now. Makes a noticeable difference to average speed too, so win win!
Thanks for this. Been recently looking to up the range of commute distance to a 100+ miles (booked for Nuneaton on Thursday which is about 107 miles away and they have a bike locker thingy). Obviously I'll need to sort out the cockpit if such a target is gonna become a reality (and obviously I'd be arriving early enough for a good rest and maybe the train back).

Still not sure how to use tryli bars with an aero handlebar, so that might need to change on the other bike :smile:
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:09 pm
dlovett wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:06 pm
Have often thought about this. But feels an awckward position and I always worry I'll not reach the brake levers in time. Same as cruise control on motorway I suppose, so I should embrace the change.

Plus... I guess appropriately priced tri bars wouldn't fit well on an aero handlebar!?
I occasionally still feel a bit wobbly on them, but you do get used to them. I find I use them quite a lot on climbs as well. Tip I'd give you is if you can find a nice quiet smooth tarmac road for your first try. We have a posh private housing estate nearby that has 1km loop of the smoothest tarmac going. I always use it for trying out new things. 10 laps on there and I felt basically comfortable on them.
redefined_cycles

Thanks Duncan. Feel a bit wobbly already :lol: