Salsa Warroad owners….

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Tomwoodbury

Salsa Warroad owners….

Post by Tomwoodbury »

So after seeing these in the bargain alert thread I took the plunge with the intention of running as a 700c all road bike.

I’ve just bought a set of Vittoria 38c tyres that come up about 40c on my stans CB7 rims and there is about 1mm clearance on the fork max.

Does anyone have any recommendations for 700c tyres that actually fit the frame? I’m guessing I’m going to have to go as low as 35c unless I want a slick.

Thanks
voodoo_simon

Re: Salsa Warroad owners….

Post by voodoo_simon »

Can’t help as I’m running 650b x 47mm.

Was pleasantly surprised how well 650 runs compared to the aero road bike it was replacing.

(There we go, another unhelpful post from me!)
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

The Warroad spec is for 650b x 47 or 700c x 35 so 38s were always going to be a stretch...

I run 650b x 47 on mine so can't help on the 35 suggestions, but gravel king slicks in a 32 were always decent as are Hutchinson Fusion5 11Storm.
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

Yeah, I took a bit of a punt from measurements. The back is fine with about 3mm clearance. Bit daft of me. I’ll check out the gravel kings.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I've 33s in there. A 38 is going to be... tight.

Bikes are great otherwise. Unbelievably happy with mine.
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

I’ve not ridden it properly yet but the geometry just feels so *right* - a real “in the bike” rather than “on the bike” feeling.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

What you after a pure slick or a something more tourey or canal towpathy ?
Warbird owner( love it its a keeper- but so wish it took a rack every now and then) but use 35 mm for commuting 25 mm for road and 44mm for gravel ( evennwith that it would be questionable if the mud was sticking to the tyre
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Tomwoodbury wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:45 pm Yeah, I took a bit of a punt from measurements. The back is fine with about 3mm clearance. Bit daft of me. I’ll check out the gravel kings.
Account for frame/wheel flex when under load eg riding out of the saddle.
Perhaps put a tape around the closest bits of frame. Ride a couple of times and check if the tape is still intact.
A chainstay won't snap if the paint is damaged, still not nice. On the other hand a tyre and mud eats itself into any frame material amazingly quick, especially carbon and aluminium.
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

Lazarus wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:36 pm What you after a pure slick or a something more tourey or canal towpathy ?
Warbird owner( love it its a keeper- but so wish it took a rack every now and then) but use 35 mm for commuting 25 mm for road and 44mm for gravel ( evennwith that it would be questionable if the mud was sticking to the tyre
I need something with a bit of tread for occasional forays into the woods. Although I’m tempted to run with 2 wheel sets now.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

A bit like that bloke with the shavers, I borrowed one, loved it, then bought one! :lol:

https://advntr.cc/wildcat-100-the-race-that-never-was/

If you're getting a second wheelset get a 650b one, the warroad can fit Senderos, at least as a 1x it can. 650b Ventures might be a good shout too for 50/50 rides.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

something with a bit of tread for occasional forays into the woods
I use a vittoria terreno zero @ 32 c for commuting and light off road - its better than it looks off road but not sure how committed i would be using it as my forays are little more than canal towpaths and fire roads on it. Roll sok on ht eorad but noticealy lower than my road slick [ but that also means much more grip and not had any issues in the wet or snow/ice [ though taking it easy on that sort of
surface ].
I’m tempted to run with 2 wheel sets now
I have three
1. commuting/winter wheels
2. road slick
3. gravel wheels
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

It’s the same Vittoria tyres I cocked up with in 38c flavour. I did try and fit my 650b wheels in the frame with 47c teravail Rutland on velocity blunt ss rims but something v weird was going on. Sounded like the cranks were being compressed into the bb and was scraping.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Vittoria tyres I cocked up with in 38c flavour.
Want to swap seeing as 38 c fits my frame ? I have a set of folding 32 c tan wall tubeless ready graphene 2 that are unused - got a good price at Merlin so bought them for when the others wear out

You have my email if interested and want pics etc
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

They are 700 x 38… so won’t fit the Warroad

But happy to swap if they’ll fit in another frame you have?
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

johnnystorm wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:51 am A bit like that bloke with the shavers, I borrowed one, loved it, then bought one! :lol:

https://advntr.cc/wildcat-100-the-race-that-never-was/

If you're getting a second wheelset get a 650b one, the warroad can fit Senderos, at least as a 1x it can. 650b Ventures might be a good shout too for 50/50 rides.
Great write up!
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

But happy to swap if they’ll fit in another frame you have?
warBIRD so it takes 44mm so they will easily fit,
Will end you some pics when i get back from work
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

Ah sorry didn’t clock you were talking about the warbird
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I've a 650*47 wheelset, and a 700*32 - it's a perfect combo on that bike to do whatever I want with it (within huck to flat sensibilities)

I've run up to 700*36 and it was tight when cornering hard on the road, odd bit of chainstay buzz when the bike was loaded and I was being... energetic in the corners.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Whilst we’re on the subject, anyone know what bearings the wheel takes? Will need front and rear

Would prefer to source the bearings before starting maintenance

(It’s the standard WTB wheel in the version - blue 105 650b 2019 we’ve all got)
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

Mines the Ferrari red colour. I’ve just set it up with 650b x 47c properly and it rides great. Think I’ll go with 32c for the 700c set.

Dunno if anyone is interested but I’m selling the set of Tiagra / WTB wheels that came with the bike in case you wanted a third or fourth wheelset!
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Oh I'd have loved one of these salsas drool...
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

voodoo_simon wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:48 pm Whilst we’re on the subject, anyone know what bearings the wheel takes? Will need front and rear

Not sure, my bearings are still pretty good. You'll probably be able to dig the info out on the WTB site. Or, email Salsa....
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

GregMay wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:04 pm
voodoo_simon wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:48 pm Whilst we’re on the subject, anyone know what bearings the wheel takes? Will need front and rear

Not sure, my bearings are still pretty good. You'll probably be able to dig the info out on the WTB site. Or, email Salsa....
Took a bit of digging as it looks like WTB changed the name of the hub… :roll:

Anyways, I think this is the right chart so I’ll leave it here for future reference
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0202/ ... v3.pdf?916