Pan Celtic 2023

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Adnepos

Pan Celtic 2023

Post by Adnepos »

It may be a 'road event' but I would have though some folk here would be interested enough to comment on this year's Pan Celtic Race...
postierich

Re: Pan Celtic 2023

Post by postierich »

Looks dull and a faff with ferries!!
;-)
Rich
Verena

Post by Verena »

Adnepos wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:21 am It may be a 'road event' but I would have though some folk here would be interested enough to comment on this year's Pan Celtic Race...
Yes, me, and same here, I would have thought the same, and also with Transpyrenees (which was an excellent few days dotwatching and following along on instagram by the way, and my friend cap no. 8 did amazingly well!! THough he said it was the hardest physical challenge he's ever done - and there have been a few!) ....

Ian Frewin/ Frewdog is certainly part of this here community, and he put in a vaiant effort, until sadly it all went wrong for him on day 2 sadly...

I didn't catch his name, but someone I talked to at WRT was doing it.

Anyone else?
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I watched a vid about one of the earlier winners. A doctor I think and it was a gruelling experience. Why not post up a link/info as am sure people will be following/watching individually :-bd
Adnepos

Post by Adnepos »

This year's race is finished.
Here's a link that shows the route and the final ranking
https://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpB ... =7&t=23630
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Adnepos wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:34 pm This year's race is finished.
Here's a link that shows the route and the final ranking
https://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpB ... =7&t=23630
Instagram would suggest the race is still alive and kicking
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

https://dotwatcher.cc/race/pcr-2023

Apparently someone called Josh Reid has finished, but there are plenty of folk still out there.
jameso

Post by jameso »

I met a chap on the ferry to Caen last week who was doing this. Good chat over dinner about long distance riding and his plans and prep for the PCR and climbing (mainly his climbs I should add, my climbs list would fit on a fortune cookie slip). I logged on while eating pizza in a town square on Sunday evening to see him doing well but unf he scratched after that. Di2 problems, he'd ridden SS for a long way before bailing. Good to dotwatch when you know someone who's racing. Otherwise for me I generally only watch the TD and TCR out of route interest.

Interesting route for the PCR and the ferry crossings must make it a challenge or a series of stages, quite like how that can change a race leaderboard.
Was also surprised by the number of racers, 300+ ?
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

I had a very brief chat with one of the riders who was loading up on carbs in the kebab shop at Josselin. I had a quick look at the route, it seemed to be mainly tarmac oriented. Good weather for it that week though. NIce and cool.
It's a lot warmer now, with high humidity.
Grubby little urchin.
redefined_cycles

Shift over in Newtown today. Seen one rider early morning coming towards me enroute to the finish. No high vis is what I spotted mainly, but each their own. Then on the way back from work I spotted another 2 (different sections of the road) going in my direction.

Tried to shout, "well done, keep going" but maybe they interpreted this as insults (possibly the fatigue of cycling as well as being hard to spot so other drivers maybe not giving a wide a berth as deserved). Finally, after another 10 or so miles I spotted 2 riders with yellows and oranges. Front rider had an orange cover over the tailpack and bar bag... Rear rider had a hi-vis yellow somewhere on his behind. Coukd be seen for a good distance before getting anywhere close.

Not a dig, just saying about the hi-vis and narrow welsh 60mph roads. They work better together :-bd
redefined_cycles

The wonders of modern tech and voice commands...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I quite fancy the Pan Celtic actually (on singlespeed obviously - Di2? pah!) as it covers a lot of ground I've not seen before. Plus the ferry thing is part of the fun. It also means you have periods of guaranteed rest and good food :-bd
mebbes next year...
pete68

Post by pete68 »

Did last years, which was based mostly in Ireland. Probably the nicest event I've done. The organisers have a really good attitude. Just as keen on people enjoying the ride and having fun as much as racing it. Unfortunately couldn't do this year as I already had something booked but would do another in the future.
redefined_cycles

Angus Young going through his 2021 setup. Mentions how race rules state you need the reflective body harness and rear Exposure light on at all times. Was this just a rule for the 2021 setup or is it every year :???:
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Just after lunch today I met up with a mate who was riding the long route with just 10 miles till the finish. He was absolutely buzzing at the experience he had. Spoke to another chap from Cork who also rode it for his first time.

BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Verena

Post by Verena »

And the sun is shining for them :-bd

Been following, and laughing at, the stories Seun Alaba has been posting on instagram - some right old ranting and swearing there at the steepness of the hills of Wales!
redefined_cycles

Verena wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:56 pm And the sun is shining for them :-bd

Been following, and laughing at, the stories Seun Alaba has been posting on instagram - some right old ranting and swearing there at the steepness of the hills of Wales!
The folks I saw all seemed angry. Makes sense now. It was all Wales :grin:
Verena

Post by Verena »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:56 pm
Verena wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:56 pm And the sun is shining for them :-bd

The folks I saw all seemed angry. Makes sense now. It was all Wales :grin:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:43 pm Angus Young going through his 2021 setup. Mentions how race rules state you need the reflective body harness and rear Exposure light on at all times. Was this just a rule for the 2021 setup or is it every year :???:
Rear lights are be used and functioning throughout the entire race. Day and night. Front lights are to be used at dusk, night and at any other time that the rider deems it necessary. High visibility clothing is mandatory at night and recommended during the day.
Dont have any any hi viz , except my rucksac cover for my commuting and dont run a rear light in normal visibility.
redefined_cycles

Lazarus wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:03 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:43 pm Angus Young going through his 2021 setup. Mentions how race rules state you need the reflective body harness and rear Exposure light on at all times. Was this just a rule for the 2021 setup or is it every year :???:
Rear lights are be used and functioning throughout the entire race. Day and night. Front lights are to be used at dusk, night and at any other time that the rider deems it necessary. High visibility clothing is mandatory at night and recommended during the day.
Dont have any any hi viz , except my rucksac cover for my commuting and dont run a rear light in normal visibility.
Each to their own John. Me personally, I learnt as a bus driver during one of our defensive driving training courses, that driving with headlights (not just side lights) reduced incidents dramatically. That was for buses specifically and it was roughly in 2005 I did that course. Along with a few hazard awareness courses in subsequent years (to save from points) has led me to always drive with main lights on.

Also about 10 years ago when I became aware of the change blindess rule (ie. drivers not looking for cyclists and hence they'll not see them as they're in a blind spot of the brain), led me to always trying to buy most of my cycling kit in beight colours. Aling with that, whenever on the road I always try to keep the rear flashy - day bright type - in the on position. Always helped me on the 40 miler commutes and without it I've noticed the difference of drivers limited awareness!

In fact I'm soon gonna invest in one of them Garmin rear lights that sense traffic and give em a different flash to awaken them. Reckon it's a worthy investment for road riding,especially when not being able to get away from the windy roads etc... Another thing I learnt (from an advance motorcyle course - not done by myself but speaking to an attendee) ia the swerve. Gives the traffic to whom you might be invisible a bit of a wake up call when they see the sideways movement - as opposed to a dot moving forwards in the distance.

Ymmv :-bd