Hebden to Edale part of PBW advice sought.

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

trek1120plus

Hebden to Edale part of PBW advice sought.

Post by trek1120plus »

Hi all,
Hoping to get up to Hebden and ride the Pennine Bridleway south finishing at Edale on a weekend.
I have a couple of books of the trail, although have only gotten round to riding North the Middleton to Edale section which I can tell is not particularly reflective of the sections further on from there.
The main advice I'm looking for is campsite(s) close enough to Hebden Bridge and/or the trail so long as either is within reach of a pub, but also knowledge on timings as I'd hoped for a Friday eve pitch, then set off fresh Sat morning with a small group heading south camping the 2nd night before tackling what's left. If that amount of time is easily enough to get the west of the Mary Townely loop in then that'd be great.
Thanks!
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Hebden to Edale part of PBW advice sought.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Could you not wildcamp, that way you'd be less tied to a schedule?
May the bridges you burn light your way
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Look for Old Chamber Camping. Just up above Hebden Bridge - very simple. About 10 min walk down to the pub....20 or so back up :)
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

What Greg said. I think there's a campsite next to the Packhorse at Widdop. Great pub and location, also on route but in the wrong direction...
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Timings-wise 2 full days of riding should be pleanty to get round the western leg of the MT Loop and then PBW to Edale, but obvs it depends on the fitness of the riders and how game they are for a few reasonably tough climbs. Looks like it's roughly 120km with 3200m climbing.

I did the full loop in ten hours with a not particularly fast group from our mtb club a few years ago, and that's over half of what you're looking at riding.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I did MTL in 8 hours as my first post covid ride-this was a serious mistake on my part and really, really hurt. I had nothing in the tank and consumed the entire groups supply of gels !
Strava says 6,500ft of climbing and 45.27miles [ couple of detours for nicer descents and a cafe so agree on two days
trek1120plus

Post by trek1120plus »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:37 pm Could you not wildcamp, that way you'd be less tied to a schedule?
2nd night will be wildcamp, I think as the group is a mixed bag and the area unknown we'd rather get off the train and settle at a site just on the first night. Should be able to fall asleep standing up the 2nd night.
trek1120plus

Post by trek1120plus »

GregMay wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:34 pm Look for Old Chamber Camping. Just up above Hebden Bridge - very simple. About 10 min walk down to the pub....20 or so back up :)
Cheers! Yes that'll do nicely! Seen it on some you tube clips too, thanks!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Johnallan wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:50 pm What Greg said. I think there's a campsite next to the Packhorse at Widdop. Great pub and location, also on route but in the wrong direction...
I think that is gone? Not certain!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Looping the MTL is very weather dependant for time. Wet for a few days before and it's really slow in sections. Dry and most is fast...but you'll run out of water quickly. It's a "nice" loop, but you'll become intimate with gates through one section.... The bit around the valley is excellent though, some great off piste options if you want to spice up the descents.

I think the fastest I've done is about 5hr 45m and that was clockwise. Slower ACW from what I recall. (edit for time)

IIRC Nick Craigs time of aprox 4hr 20m still stands? Which was on a CX bike.
trek1120plus

Post by trek1120plus »

Thanks all for the input so far. I reckon we'll skip the MTL for the next time may as well make it a leisurely first trip.
trek1120plus

Post by trek1120plus »

Booked Old Chamber for our set off campsite. Got 2 friends who are off on Monday to Cape Wrath to cycle the GNT southwards. We set off from Hebden on it 12 days after them. Was trying to work out the likely hood of them being ahead or behind us given the 12 day head start. They're quite quick minimal riders. They'll certainly be trail hardened by then if we do hook up!
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Lazarus wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:37 pm I did MTL in 8 hours as my first post covid ride-this was a serious mistake on my part and really, really hurt. I had nothing in the tank and consumed the entire groups supply of gels !
Strava says 6,500ft of climbing and 45.27miles [ couple of detours for nicer descents and a cafe so agree on two days
Maybe you should do it again. I'll bring some spare gels? (this time) :grin:... Oh and I've fogured out what vegan supplies to bring next :-bd