What down tube bag…

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

voodoo_simon

What down tube bag…

Post by voodoo_simon »

I thought they were a thing but struggling.

Wanting a bag to go under my downtube to carry pump, tools and at least one tube. Prefer something long and thin (oh errr…!), saw the wolf tooth b rad pump bag and seems ok but is there anything else out there?

Cheers :-bd
Boab

Re: What down tube bag…

Post by Boab »

Apidura do two, although you may bork at the price... Backcountry Downtube Pack (1.8L) and the Expedition Downtube Pack (1.2L), both at £55...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I would get on ebay and buy a cheap frame type bag of whatever shape you want
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I'd go with the Apidura. They'll be very well made and I believe have the grip sorted. Always well thought out and (IMO) worth the money. Besides, when you want to get rid there'll be lots of buyers on here. Did I say they'll be light(ish) too :grin:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I got one from BeerBabe, made from recycled innertubes. https://www.beerbabe.co.uk/ourshop/cat_ ... -Tube.html I think she was just starting to make them when I got mine. Not waterproof
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
josh

Post by josh »

Also, Tailfin, again, not cheap, but arguably worth it – https://www.tailfin.cc/product/small-pa ... ube-packs/

And not all of these are downtube packs, but many are – https://bikepacking.com/gear/bikepackin ... sory-bags/

Basically, think of a bikepacking bag brand and they'll probably have a downtube pack available.
faustus

Post by faustus »

I've got a wolf tooth pump bag that I find pretty useful, having the option to bolt on is good, but it's not waterproof.
Other one to consider is the Topeak Gearpack, downtube specific organiser bag https://www.topeak.com/global/en/product/1452-GEARPACK about £45 Maybe not the right shape for you, and wouldn't fit a pump by the looks of it...
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Thanks for the suggestions, just saw a picture of a down tube back that was covered in mud and it’s making me rethink :lol:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

If it's for tools I think a tool bottle on the underside of the downtube is better, if you can mount a cage there. I'd also use a strap just to make sure the bottle stays in place.

I've got a downtube bag but I only use it in the summer or if it's dry on the trails. If it's muddy and you need to get into it your hands get covered opening it.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

sean_iow wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:49 am If it's for tools I think a tool bottle on the underside of the downtube is better, if you can mount a cage there. I'd also use a strap just to make sure the bottle stays in place.

I've got a downtube bag but I only use it in the summer or if it's dry on the trails. If it's muddy and you need to get into it your hands get covered opening it.
Got a bottle storage case setup underneath and seems ok, just can’t get the pump mounted to the frame as I’d hope it to, so was exploring other options (forever in the pursuit of form and function as a harmony :lol: )

Tried a top tube bag but I can’t straddle the frame with one :roll:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Revelate designs hopper bag arrived courtesy of TeaTwoSugars :-bd

Should be perfect for my needs :-bd
techno

Post by techno »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:44 am Thanks for the suggestions, just saw a picture of a down tube back that was covered in mud and it’s making me rethink :lol:
I have emergency tools in mine strapped to a Bentley mini-deck. Can be utterly grim accessing the contents :YMSICK: