Cinder track. Scarborough to whitby

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Cinder track. Scarborough to whitby

Post by ootini »

Is anyone familiar with a, mainly, traffic free cycle route between Scarborough and Whitby called the cinder track?
I'm heading up to Yorkshire with family next week and we're planning to cycle this route, but I've heard various stories about the trails surface, with it "appearing to be 99% paved, but also dome claiming its very wet and muddy in places.

Just curious.

Thanks
Dean

Re: Cinder track. Scarborough to whitby

Post by Dean »

ootini wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:36 pm Is anyone familiar with a, mainly, traffic free cycle route between Scarborough and Whitby called the cinder track?
I'm heading up to Yorkshire with family next week and we're planning to cycle this route, but I've heard various stories about the trails surface, with it "appearing to be 99% paved, but also dome claiming its very wet and muddy in places.

Just curious.

Thanks
When I did it several years ago there was two or three trickles across the track and a little bit of surface water channel erosion where it had rained previously. Some of the bike gates required a bit of a dance with 800mm bars and a bar bag, but I think they have been improved. Long gradual uphill from Robin Hood's Bay toward Scarborough. I can imagine that under the trees it could get very wet with crushed leaf litter. It was enjoyable for a three hour connecting ride, could make a full day out of it with young kids.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

I've done most of it with the kids when they were still young, surface seemed fine as far as I remember (although I don't remember it being paved apart from the first bit in Scarborough). Depending on age/bike fitness, could be a bit of a slog for kids.

Dalby Forrest is also not far away and has some easy traffic free routes suitable for families.
adrianb

Post by adrianb »

YGM
Tractionman

Post by Tractionman »

ootini wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:36 pm Is anyone familiar with a, mainly, traffic free cycle route between Scarborough and Whitby called the cinder track?

Just curious.

Thanks
there are some shots of the route on Google maps, eg https://goo.gl/maps/xSxHdZuXFzfzwF7L9

all the best,

Keith
ootini

Post by ootini »

Tractionman wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:52 am

Just curious.

Thanks
there are some shots of the route on Google maps, eg https://goo.gl/maps/xSxHdZuXFzfzwF7L9

all the best,

Keith
Handy! Thank you
ootini

Post by ootini »

adrianb wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:19 pmYGM
Cheers for the wealth of information Adrian. Really appreciate it
adrianb

Post by adrianb »

ygm
ootini

Post by ootini »

For all those who gave advice, I'm back and have to say it's a great little route. My son loved it, in both directions. The gradient is very deceptive in that it never actually feels up or down... its simply a case of feeling flat but you can either free wheel it, or you can't.

Also, the blue trail and Adderstone trail at Dalby forest were brilliant for family cycling too!

That part of Yorkshire really is a wonderful place.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

ootini wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:53 am For all those who gave advice, I'm back and have to say it's a great little route. My son loved it, in both directions. The gradient is very deceptive in that it never actually feels up or down... its simply a case of feeling flat but you can either free wheel it, or you can't.

Also, the blue trail and Adderstone trail at Dalby forest were brilliant for family cycling too!

That part of Yorkshire really is a wonderful place.
Thanks Ootini. I know where to use the newly recieved (thanks RichPip) bike carrier now. My 8 year old can put his new brakes/grips to the test on his first proper trail :-bd
Tractionman

Post by Tractionman »

ootini wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:53 am The gradient is very deceptive in that it never actually feels up or down... its simply a case of feeling flat but you can either free wheel it, or you can't.
Glad to hear the day went well :-bd

I know what you mean about the gradient feeling, I have had the same cycling on other old railway lines, Monsal Trail for instance, and the Mawddach Trail, must be something about the way rail lines were engineered for steam locomotion back in the day but makes for sometimes hard work now when doing rail trails on a bike!
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I think it's all about the max 3% gradient, it's low enough that you're not really aware of it one way of the other until you coast. The Newport Greenway is exactly the same near me - it's a 1% climb almost all the way to Gnosall and then a 1% descent at the end into the village.