Byway Replacement

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

voodoo_simon

Re: Byway Replacement

Post by voodoo_simon »

I don’t but that’s how I bent my disc rotor :lol:

Cassettes seem tougher to be honest, so have left mine on in the past but I’ll let you decide
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I'll give both of these solutions a go tomorrow lunch time since I've got the sprogs to myself this evening
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

voodoo_simon wrote:
Johnnystorm told me to stand on them and it works to pop the bead :-bd
Don't forget the generous helping of swearing stage!
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

The way I did it was with the wheel upright and me sitting one side of it, I grabbed the tyre on the far side and just twisted it towards me using both hands. After a few seconds, a bit of the far side bead, popped into the middle of the wheel. Then I could rotate the wheel and pull that side into the middle of the rim. Then a single tyre lever allowed me to lift that side off of the wheel for about 20cm's which was enough room to pour the sealant in. Then I carefully, using the tyre lever, popped that bit back onto the wheel, and used a pre charged track pump with 100psi to pop it back into place. I did this in the shower, with the curtain drawn to make sure if it went wrong it would be contained. Just the horrible three bangs as it seated and it was done.
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

I've used WTB Bridger's and Rangers, 3.0 and 2.8, on my bike for about 6 years and they are very tight and I definitely can't get them off with my hands. Best way I've found to get them off is to lay the wheel on the ground disk side up and make sure the underside edge of the rim is on a firm surface. I don't remove the cassette and use an old closed cell foam matt under the rim in the workshop. I then stand on the tyre with the back edge of my shoes heal on the tyre and as close to the rim as I can safely get it. Push down with your heal to "break" the bead away from the rim. If that doesn't work use both heals close together. Not failed me yet!!

I used to work in the tyre industry many years ago and commercial tyre machines have a curved hydraulic blade that pushes the tyre off of the rim and this is pretty much the same process using your shoes heal as the bead breaker.
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I put about 150km's on the Ventures yesterday across dusty Hampshire and Sussex. I didn't do the KAW as I wanted to ride a route I know have a varied terrain. I got a good mix of Urban crappy roads, smooth roads, A roads, country roads, hard grass, soft grass, chalk, gravel, flint and everything in between, from flat to major off road climbs. I can honestly say I was so very impressed with them and how they coped with all the surfaces. I ran them all day at just the stock pressure of 50psi (30-60 recommended for my weight) and they rolled fast on the roads and gripped everywhere I needed grip. I need to play bout with the presures and see if there is a sweet spot for a slightly less firm ride and I also need to try them in less dry/dusty conditions, but I already fell that they aren't coming off and they will be the new one tyre suits all for the Camino. Most of it's life is spent on urban roads and I think the Ventures will feel more sure footed in the wet than the horizons/byways.

Thanks for the recommendation.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

50psi?! I don't put that much in for two of us on the tandem! :shock:
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

johnnystorm wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:15 pm 50psi?! I don't put that much in for two of us on the tandem! :shock:
I've just checked the WTB website and seen...

*WTB's tyre pressure recommendations have changed over time due to further developments in technology. Riders may always reference the markings on their tires for allowed pressures ranges, but may also consult wtb.com for the most up-to-date tyre pressure recommendations from WTB. We calculate pressure recommendations based on an average rider weight of 160-180 lbs and suggest increasing our minimum recommended pressure on WTB.com by 2-3psi for every additional 10 lbs of rider weight. Never exceed the maximum tyre pressure marked on a tyre.

Venture 47 x 650 Dual DNA SG2 tyre 25-50 psi.

I guess this supersedes the 30-60 written on the sidewall. I'll try lower next time as they should have enough miles on them now to have settled in and the sealant to be everywhere.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I've always considered the pressures printed on the sides of tyres complete works of fiction!
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

11 stone (god, it keeps heading north that figure…)

Use 30PSI if I’m doing a mix of road and off road and I’ll pump it up to 35/40 for pure road but I’ll be honest, that’s more a mind thing rather than needing to pump it up