Bivvy a month 2023.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gecko76

Re: Bivvy a month 2023.

Post by gecko76 »

Returned to an old haunt near Carlops with the bike relatively light by way of prep for Ride to the Sun next weekend.
Felt pleasingly quick. Snack bag was full of tools but tool bottle bereft of snacks because I didn't like the look of the neds hanging around the supermarket. Some dry roasted nuts and a flask of Jura as a gift from students would have to suffice. Arrived late, found a flat spot and hunkered down, very glad indeed that the tiny sleeping bag https://www.snugpak.com/travelpak-1, purchased last year to see what this bikepacking lark was all about, includes a built in mosquito net, because the midges were fierce.
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

I apologise profusely for the time warp that I seem to live in where I can never manage to post my bivy rides up in any kind of good time. Some beautiful pictures turning up here as usual, so I'll have to settle in for a good proper read through. Anyway.....
February (Yes, I'm that far behind) was almost a carbon copy of Jan in that I expected dry weather and got thoroughly soaked before calling it a day in a handy forest to set up the hammock. Obviously the rain stopped as soon as I got the tarp up, but at least I didn't need to get up too early to make work.

Morning after

Packed up

Moist roads

Time for some offroad diversions

Back towards the Aberdonian rain clouds

https://highlanddrifter.com/bam-2023-february

More well out of date posts to follow!
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

For March I was determined to reach my intended bivy spot regardless of what the weather thought. Luckily, the weather was kind enough not to rain as I made my way out to Echt and up the track to the Barmekin Hill Fort to set up in the trees below the summit. Obviously, the minute I sat down in the hammock for a tarpless night out, the missing rain showed up and ruined the party - I've had years when I've not bothered with a tarp until December before so three wet BAMs in a row is taking the mickey. The weather didn't really clear up enough to give me the stunning sunrise I could have seen from my vantage point, but was still a decent night out.

An angrily slung tarp

Digging the views

Basically grey like this the whole way home

https://highlanddrifter.com/bam-2023-march

I'm still on course for the year, though I think half an hour asleep on a bench wearing a midge net during TransScotland probably doesn't count as my June bivy yet really. Will keep adding...
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Back in December (at the winter bivi) we discussed a solstice bivi, but work commitments meant this was out of the question for me :cry: I did plan to get out locally for the solstice, the actual solstice was Wednesday at 15:58 so I had planned to bivi on the Wednesday night as that's the closest to it and therefor the sunrise on the Thursday would be the first after midsummer... turns out it was the sunrise on Wednesday morning everyone got up for :roll: regardless, I wouldn't have been able to go Tuesday even if I had worked it out correctly.

All this meant I was running out of days and motivation. Forced myself to head out last night, left home at 8:30pm and it was actually pleasant to be out on the bike, the few degrees cooler than it has been on the commutes makes all the difference. Actually stopped for a sit down and a snack to just enjoy the moment.

I had thought about getting out on the top of the downs but there was a bit of a breeze so instead headed for a area of the forest I'd wanted to try out for a few years. They felled most of it back in 2019 but it's gradually been regrowing. I guessed there would be little clearings in amongst it and once I found a way through the undergrowth I found a person sized clear patch. I'd gone as lightweight as I could (borah bivi, klymit mat, 150 quilt) but was plenty warm enough, it only dropped to a low of 12 overnight. As soon as I put my head on my pillow I could hear air escaping :roll: so I've still not managed to fix the punctures. I can confirm that an Altura Vortex handlebar bag makes a very poor substitute, think I'll treat myself to a new pillow.

In the night I was awoken by footsteps on the main track nearby. Looking at my watch it was 2am, odd time to be out walking along there, but maybe no more odd than being in bed out there :lol: I was about 30 to 50m into this lot so well out of site so not worried I'd be discovered by whoever was out looking for victims :lol:

I had the best nights sleep I've had in weeks so pleased I went, in fact I'd still be there now snoozing if my alarm hadn't gone off at 6am :roll: Soon packed up (easy with so little kit) and headed to work which was an easy 5 mile ride mainly downhill. As is tradition I called past the postbox to see it there was a new topper....

They are usually topical, I've no idea what this one is though :???:

6/12 and 40 in a row (39 for Ralph)
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

Looks like a caterpillar, and a sort of dinosaur? National Caterpillar Day?
sean_iow wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:09 am I did plan to get out locally for the solstice, the actual solstice was Wednesday at 15:58 so I had planned to bivi on the Wednesday night as that's the closest to it and therefore the sunrise on the Thursday would be the first after midsummer... turns out it was the sunrise on Wednesday morning everyone got up for regardless, I wouldn't have been able to go Tuesday even if I had worked it out correctly.
:???:

"All right, settle down. Settle down... Now, before I begin the lesson, will those of you who are playing in the match this afternoon move your clothes down onto the lower peg immediately after lunch, before you write your letter home, if you're not getting your hair cut, unless you've got a younger brother who is going out this weekend as the guest of another boy, in which case, collect his note before lunch, put it in your letter after you've had your hair cut, and make sure he moves your clothes down onto the lower peg for you. It's perfectly simple. If you're not getting your hair cut, you don't have to move your brother's clothes down to the lower peg. You simply collect his note before lunch, after you've done your scripture prep, when you've written your letter home, before rest, move your own clothes onto the lower peg, greet the visitors, and report to Mr. Viney that you've had your chit signed".
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I know :???: How are we supposed to know that day we need to get up to see the sunrise? Next year I'll have to befriend a hippy in the run up to get the inside info.

Yeah man, like get up and see the sun man, cool man, yeah like, what day? Oooh, don't know man, don't crush me with these rules about the right day man, be free and go any day :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

June Summer Solstice BAM - After looking at the Triban Trial for so long and living close enough to ride to the route in an hour or so I made the decision to ride most of it on the Solstice. Setting off around 5pm on Wednesday after a light tea and heading through Cilcain for Star crossing on the Clwyds (skipping loop 1 & 2 in the forest as I've rode it all umpteen times) and down County Road and into Ruthin where I would pick the route up to Llyn Brenig and the Alwen reservoirs, after arriving just before 11pm in darkness and absolute silence and having a wee look around for a spot I chose right next to the visitors centre for the night. After around 4hrs sleep I awoke to the birds yapping away and the sun rising up, sorted myself out with a hot chocolate and a bite to eat and got myself freshened up in the toilets (which were open, bonus) and ready to ride, heading for Corwen to Siop Julie as it opened for 7am for a second breakfast and then from Corwen to the Horseshoe Pass café (Pondarosa) for dinner and coffee, lots of the route is very overgrown and unpassable on the Corwen to LLandegla part of the route so some of it was skipped which involved some road sections. After a second coffee stop at Llandegla and then home through local bridleways and singletrack skipping the Nercwys parts as again rode them a gazillion times but overall a great 2 day route or would make a decent in a oner route either way its recommended https://ridewithgps.com/routes/39633893 :-bd
Day 1 https://www.strava.com/activities/9310521804
Day 2 https://www.strava.com/activities/9313824622

Imagepro-kUZP0U3A by Lee Rowe, on Flickr
Star crossing
Imagepro-HxJJ0q8A by Lee Rowe, on Flickr
Far end of the Brenig
Imagepro-KbpXNhJW by Lee Rowe, on Flickr
:cool:
Imagepro-CLelwwLq by Lee Rowe, on Flickr
Link road to Alwen
Imagepro-wU0s5VT0 by Lee Rowe, on Flickr
On the Alwen
Imagepro-CDsl738I by Lee Rowe, on Flickr
Visitors centre
Imagepro-oGOCUuX3 by Lee Rowe, on Flickr
Free WiFi off Welsh Water :-bd
Imagepro-YNF77Nut by Lee Rowe, on Flickr
Sun rise
Imagepro-uvczYO0L by Lee Rowe, on Flickr
Road to Corwen
Imagepro-Pzqy38Zx by Lee Rowe, on Flickr
Part of the Hiraethog route to Corwen
ImageJune 2 by Lee Rowe, on Flickr
Siop Julie
ImageJune 3 by Lee Rowe, on Flickr
Supplies
ImageJune 1 by Lee Rowe, on Flickr
Over looking the Horseshoe

Happy to get the June BAM done with time to spare

June BAM complete - Solstice Edition
6/12
Last edited by Leerowe76 on Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Some cracking sunsets there. 👍
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

A very enjoyable month for me!

Started off with the Rapha Pennine Rally from Edinburgh to Manchester. Having been a pretty solitary rider for the last couple of years, it was really fun riding with such a big group of other people, lots of little groups forming/disbanding/reforming over the 5 days. Two nights of bivvying, plus two nights at campsites. Changed a few things with my approach, unzipping my sleeping bag and using it as a quilt, adding an eye mask and ear plugs for sleep. The first night was probably the nest night's sleep I've ever had while camping.
Lots of pics here: https://www.instagram.com/bearlegged/

I also got myself out to see the sunrise on the solstice. Having checked at least 3 weather forecasts, I went with as minimal kit as possible. Pretty much as soon as I'd zipped up my bivvy, I felt and heard the gentle patter of approaching rain. Gah.
Mat deflated, bed rolled up and stuffed into my bar bag, down off the hill to the local visitor centre cafe where I lay down beneath their ample-roofed outdoor seating area. Another decent sleep, though only short due to an early alarm to make sure I could get back up the hill for sunrise.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CtvXvZyILAv/

2023 BAM 6/12
2023 total bivvies 8
Current streak (months) 55
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

I was going to go out for the solstice but a couple of nights before the weather was perfect so I went out for a local bivvy on Raggedstone hill I remember trying to find somewhere flat up there before without much success the spot I found looked flat but turned out to be anything but :???:
Still the sunset was nice , just as I headed to the top I heard a deer barking in the woods and after a double take realised I also had a peacock for company fortunately it was a quiet one and the deer went elsewhere ..
PXL_20230615_211703223 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
After a nice cold beer and some snacks it was time for bed to start my slow descent of the hill !
ImagePXL_20230616_025658838 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
I woke up a few times the last time around 4.30 as it was starting to get light I got up
ImagePXL_20230616_024426067 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
I climbed back up to the top and was greeted by a very rolling stones type sight
ImagePXL_20230616_034849011 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
A quick pack up and off for a glorious ride around the deserted hills with a stop for a brew and found nice area of flowers including orchids
ImagePXL_20230616_043550561 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr

6/12 for this year and 54 consecutive bivvys
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

It looks like my BaM streak is ending here. The long weekend rides in summer seem to either continue straight though the night without sleep, or have a few hours kip in an Audax control. Last summer was the same but I managed to stretch the rules a little with counting occasional powernaps. I'll still be doing regular overnight rides and also backpacking, but the BaM has become a bit of an inconvenience to fit around all the other stuff.

I'll enjoy watching from the sidelines :-bd
GoneCaving

Post by GoneCaving »

In early June I ran the Mourne Way trail half marathon. It starts from a carpark near the Spelga dam, and just across the road was a rather enticing path up into the Mournes proper. Wondering if it could be cycled, and having said for a while that I should do a bivvy trip in the Mournes, I decided that was the direction for June's BaM.

I left my house early evening, hoping to avoid the worst of the heat (I didn't!). I sweated my way along the Carlingford greenway into Newry, and then back out to Rostrevor along the main road (not a lot of fun). After a quiet stop to rehydrate, I turned off the road and into Kilbroney park. This is a lovely section of forestry with some solid mountain biking trails (the 25km red loop is exactly my level of excitement, just enough, not too much), along with a caravan park, and lots of other amenities. I climbed up along the forest trails heading N, before cutting back out onto a B-road, and then the steep road climb up to Spelga dam. Over the crest and then off road onto the trail spotted the previous weekend.

It turns out that the obvious trail goes nowhere, but there's a parallel trail a little higher up that climbs up to the Mourne Wall. I'd say it's mostly ridable, but there was certainly some hike a bike. I'd hoped to get to the wall where I'd planned on camping by sunset (10pm), but just missed that.

I'd assumed I'd arrived late enough to be undisturbed, but clearly others were taking advantage of the long evenings, with the last party of hikers passing at 11pm. While the weather forecast was for light winds, the wind picked up overnight, and the lanshan flaps and buzzes in the wind, and nothing I could do with the pitch seemed to have much effect. So up again at dawn, and more hike a bike around the side of Slieve Loughshannagh and Bearnagh, and finally more gravel around to Tollymore forest.

Tollymore was lovely in the early morning, and I passed a small deer on my travels down into Newcastle for some breakfast. Then back on the road, and S to Greencastle and the ferry back to Carlingford and home.

That's 5/6 for the year. I'm riding the WalesDuro route next weekend, so that'll be July's Bam sorted.
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

Nice one Gone Caving the last picture is gorgeous
Tractionman

Post by Tractionman »

great to see the Mournes there @gonecaving -- the granite up there seems to weather into pretty coarse rounded chunks and it's put me off trying to take the bike much beyond the likes of the trails around Tollymore!
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

BaM June '23 - Done :-bd

As mentioned in another thread, I pedalled up to the dragonfly kingdom by the Ellesmere canal.

Bivvy:-

I thought I'd make a bit more of an effort with the food again, so for breakfast:-

It went a bit wrong because I'd forgotten to bring anything to eat out of, so instead of egg, sausage n' beans all together on a plate I had to eat out of the pan. Three sausage butties then, then an egg butty. I couldn't be bothered to cook the beans, even though I'd brought them.

The main point of bivvying there though was to see the Emperor dragonfly that lives there. I'd tried last year without success and it looked as though todays' attempt was going to be a bust too. No sign of any dragonflys, let alone the emperor so I strolled around some of the paths, dawdled along looking for the cranberry bushes (found 'em) and having a leisurely breakfast. I was at the point of leaving for home, but just before, I had one last look at the nearby pond.

A Ha! A dragonfly. Not the biggy, but better than nowt. Once my eyes got tuned to seeing dragonflies, I saw lots more. Here's one I managed to get a picture of. Only a little feller. Landed by my feet, it did:-

I'd just about given up when a green and blue flash caught my eye. Yup! The man himself. He wasn't for landing and posing for me to take a picture so this cropped out, not-very-good shot will have to do:-

Job Done! But I'll have to go back in September to pick a few cranberries.

So that's 6/6 for 2023.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
GoneCaving

Post by GoneCaving »

Tractionman wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:43 pm great to see the Mournes there @gonecaving -- the granite up there seems to weather into pretty coarse rounded chunks and it's put me off trying to take the bike much beyond the likes of the trails around Tollymore!
Yep, there was a lot of pushing! Some folk can clearly ride it, but not me with a loaded bike and I’d equally be worried about the impact on the peat in places.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Some crackers coming in this quarter :-bd Not even Reg has found some rain!
Anyway, the clock is a ticking, tomorrow is the last night of June so get on with it (OK pitch ups pre midnight Friday also count) 2nd quarter review will have to wait until I do the NYM300...
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Some good nights out here this month, roll on July :-bd
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
RIP

Post by RIP »

fatbikephil wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:15 pm Some crackers coming in this quarter :-bd Not even Reg has found some rain!
Nah, it absolutely sheeted down on WRT :grin: .

Just squeezed in this month. Coming home as we speak from a cracking outing in t'Peak District with Mr Kevin "It's all his fault" Blackhound! :-bd More later.
Last edited by RIP on Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Another one here leaving it late! Got back this morning from June's BAM. Report to follow just as soon as I get my act together.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

This month has seen me pretty busy again and once more I found myself watching the end of the month deadline rapidly approaching. Like many/most parts of the country, we’ve had some wonderful weather over the last few weeks. Ideal for a pleasant BAM outing but I always seemed to find some alternative activity to keep me occupied although often that was just enjoying riding luggage-free bikes! Almost inevitably, the weather has been unsettled over the last week or so, with rain coming and going regularly.

Whatever the weather, I decided that I would commit to getting out on Wednesday (28th). To keep it relatively simple, I decided not to carry any form of overhead cover and just ride into East Lothian where I’d sleep under some sort of structure I’d used before. One of the estates out that way has served me well in the past - a clay pigeon shooting wet weather shelter and a tunnel on a quad bike circuit, to be specific.

ImageUntitled by Jimmy G, on Flickr

After a 21-mile ride in on a mix of road and gravel track, I’d more or less resigned myself to using one of those two sites again when, on my approach, I spotted a new (to me) structure lying amongst trees just off the track.

The estate has clearly expanded its range of outdoor activities (aimed at corporate groups, stag/hen parties, etc.) since I last visited. On investigation, this new shack turned out to be a ‘Gun Range’. It’s not like any range I was ever on in my former life but we all know those Zombies absolutely must be dispatched with haste and, judging by the many dropped ball bearings and packaging littering the floor, a BB gun would appear to be the tool of choice for the job.

ImageRoom with a view by Jimmy G, on Flickr

* I have since learned via Google that the BBs in question are bio-degradable… which is nice.

ImageIgnore them and they'll go away by Jimmy G, on Flickr

Seated at a table :-bd, I had a simple dinner washed down with good local beers.

I then enjoyed a pleasant night’s sleep… or at least up until the urge to pee (again!) woke me around 5.30. Business done, the combination of bright sunlight, birdsong and the hum of early morning traffic, meant I just could not get back to sleep properly. Nothing for it but to lie back and enjoy the birdsong!

In case of any planned events that day I got up at 7.30, packed and had a casual ride around the local trails before heading to a favourite caff for a cheese toastie, blueberry scone and coffee breakfast.

That’s 6 from 6 in ‘23, making 66 consecutive BAMs.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Late entry for June. Myself and Reg met at Chesterfield Station on Wednesday and spent 24 hours riding to the east of the Peak. I don't know the area well as I have avoided it because of the hills.

I had arrived a few hours early and done a short circuit to grab 11 Veloviewer tiles at the extent of my area. A bit of rain as I heared back to Chesterfield Station to meet Chris had largely ended as we set off.

Once clear of the town we continued our slow progress to Ashover and the Poets Corner pub. Prior to going in we investigated the local graveyard and found a quiet corner. I, perhaps would have passed if I had been on my own but with two of us we decided we would not investigate further.

I enjoyed my pie and chips and some local beer before heading outside some time after 10. I then discovered I had a puncture so we fixed it and made our way to the graveyard. I was erecting my new tent for the first time in the wild, in the dark, and got something twisted on the first attempt but eventually got it up. No lights as the cemetery was overlooked by houses.

Reg had seen the old Post Office on arrival that was now a cafe and fancied it for breakfast so up early the next morning we did a short, but climby, 5-6 mile circuit and was back for the 9am opening time. Only to discover I had another puncture in the same tyre.

We decided to have breakfast first, a nice veggie one for me, and sort out the tyre afterwards. Grabbing my second spare tube I found it was not holding air, I found out when I got home the seam was split. We stuck a patch on the tube and set off uphill.

We soon arrived at the oldest surviving industrial chimney and pottered about for a bit before hitting more trails and returning to Chesterfield via Linacre and Old Brampton.

We managed a shade under 30 miles and 937 metres of elevation. Sore legs for me.

Expect a fuller account with pics when young* Reg has time.

*Reg and I were born in the same hospital about 5 weeks apart.

(I set up an Instagram post for the ride but it does not seem to have worked, will try again and post later)

#bam 6/12 and 18 continued months.
RIP

Post by RIP »

At the risk of embarrassing the poor chap (“too late!” :grin: ), for a while I’ve been thinking that I should pay my respects to Kev Blackhound as the man without whom this thread would not exist, and correspondingly without whom the whole Place would be much the poorer.

So I duly asked if he’d be interested in a BaM ride somewhere up his neck of the woods in Derbyshire. As he mentions above, we are both Derby Rams of the same vintage, and riding in the area would be fitting. For ages I’ve actually had Ashover on my list as somewhere to explore – it’s not well known, hiding in the Amber valley between Matlock and Chesterfield. It’s even become a bit of an obsession, so this was too good an opportunity to miss.

Due to an air-conditioning fault on my train from Milton Keynes to Tamworth (in my day we just opened the blasted window for goodness sake) I missed a connection, so it took four separate trains to bring me to Chesterfield late Wednesday afternoon. The driver fixed the fault by switching the whole train off, disconnecting it from the 25kV overhead supply, and restarting it. A rather extreme example of the “just turn it off and on again” beloved of support helplines everywhere.

A general wander through the town centre took us past the famous bendy church spire, caused by the lead covering warping the wooden frame.

Various slightly dodgy (oh OK, very dodgy) residential estates eventually led us up onto the moors at 300m, then down into Ashover. My RegNav© didn’t let us down…

We switched our spot radars on as we entered the village, noticing the graveyard plus its extension field, the cricket pitch, and the kids playground. Time to repair to the Old Poets Corner boozer, now owned by the Titanic Brewery, an ideal place to sink a few pints. Oh. Maybe not the best choice of words there :wink: . Kev went for the pie and I selected veggie bangers and mash. His came with mushy peas, and mine with normal peas, and a quick swap was effected to match our preferences. The live band didn’t prevent us having a good old natter about things that only old codgers find interesting, admittedly the band had more members than the audience.

As Kev mentioned, upon egressing the pub we had to spend a bit of time fixing a puncture then it was off to the graveyard for a restful night with only a light shower of rain to lull us to sleep, Gatewood for Reg and Trekkertent for Kev.

First woken at 4am by tweety birds, we finally surfaced at 7am for a quick breakfast. I’d managed to blag some milk from the pub, which had curdled nicely overnight so it was yoghurt on porridge for me :wink: . We’d spotted a very nice little café in the village but it didn’t open until 9am, so as Kev mentioned we had a quick spin round the Amber valley first. I was aware that the once-rich Gregory Mine was here somewhere. Ashover sits on gritstone but there’s a local “limestone inlier” which resulted in lead deposits. Halfway round the ride I suddenly noticed an old mine headstock in some trees and closer inspection proved that it was the old Overton Mine, which had reopened in the 1960s to mine fluorspar. It’s very rare to find in-situ mine remains these days, so we had a good nose around. Until recently the cage was upright next to the shaft but sadly it has been tipped over to cover the 120’ hole.

A nice line of hazel bushes..

A peaceful scene in the Amber valley…

And so back for the traditional BaM second breakfast. Flowers on the table, there’s posh….

One thing I particularly wanted to see was the fine chimney at the lead-smelting site at Stone Edge Cupola, near the aptly named hamlet of Spitewinter, so Kev kindly humoured my obsession. It is the oldest free-standing chimney in Britain, built in 1770, and is located on Bellend Lane at 300m on top of the ridge to take advantage of the strong winds for the furnaces. Ah, no, hang on, Belland Lane, which is of course a lead-mining term.

The good thing about this area is that once you’re up on the ridge there are loads of tracks and bridleways dipping in and out of the heads of the valleys leading down to Chesterfield. I’d highly recommend a visit.

We had no plans for lunch, but came across this place on the next main road, some sort of car enthusiasts centre with posh coffee and toasties on offer. Palm trees in the Peaks? Rather appropriately there were “chesterfields” to lounge around on.

Eventually it was time to head back down to Chesterfield for our 4pm trains, Kev to Derby and myself to Birmingham for some more beers with some chums there.

A very pleasant BaM, in a little known area. It was great to meet Kevin again, although I should probably have waited until my 100th BaM next year to celebrate! So, thank you Kevin, I can honestly say that your off-the-cuff-at-the-time invention has enriched my life immeasurably, allowed me to meet some great people, and given me some incredible experiences.

‘Reg’

6/6, 6/12, 90/90
Last edited by RIP on Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

RIP wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:26 pm At the risk of embarrassing the poor chap (“too late!” :grin: ), for a while I’ve been thinking that I should pay my respects to Kev Blackhound as the man without whom this thread would not exist, and correspondingly without whom the whole Place would be much the poorer.

A very pleasant BaM, in a little known area. It was great to meet Kevin again, although I should probably have waited until my 100th BaM next year to celebrate! So, thank you Kevin, I can honestly say that your off-the-cuff-at-the-time invention has enriched my life immeasurably, allowed me to meet some great people, and given me some incredible experiences.

‘Reg’

6/6, 6/12, 90/90

I have to second Reg’s sentiment. BaM has given me so much enjoyment over the years. I can’t imagine not having it. So, Well Done, that man..! :-bd :-bd :-bd
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Thanks Reg and Frog... I don't suppose I really thought the thread would still be going over a decade later, it was started in 2012. I do enjoy reading the reports and genuinely proud that a rather pointless exercise has given a number of people a challenge whether for one year to several. I know some parents and sons have accepted the challenge and I find that particularly pleasing that they can share time together in the outdoors. Long may it continue.

I still haven't got around to sorting out a new Insta post to attach to my June report but young Reg's report has sufficient for us both.

It was nice to do a ride with someone else, mine are usually solo attempts due to my slow space.