The Tour Divide 2023 thread

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Re: The Tour Divide 2023 thread

Post by jameso »

Pirahna wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:13 pm
Mart wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:40 pm I read an article in which Mike has said that his schedule hit some important milestones in terms of resupply and parts of the route at key times.
I guess we will just have to see how that plays out with the leaders ahead of his schedule
I'm struggling to see what those milestones were. I've only toured the route not raced it, but I can't think of anything or anywhere I'd need to be at a specific time to aid in a route record.
From what I remember he was the first to really push it out for long stretches with minimal rest between places that he could get good R+R - eg the High Country Lodge in Polaris or Brush Mtn Lodge around halfway. So not being there at specific time, but pre-planned stops that broke it into stages. Before that most racers were following the regular daily pattern approach, maybe the odd 24-36hr stint along the way.
faustus

Post by faustus »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:53 pm According to Josh Ibbets vid on that bikepacking they are in a lavvy :grin:
What other bike race could deliver such entertainment! That's a special time together :lol:
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

jameso wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:51 pm
Pirahna wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:13 pm
Mart wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:40 pm I read an article in which Mike has said that his schedule hit some important milestones in terms of resupply and parts of the route at key times.
I guess we will just have to see how that plays out with the leaders ahead of his schedule
I'm struggling to see what those milestones were. I've only toured the route not raced it, but I can't think of anything or anywhere I'd need to be at a specific time to aid in a route record.
From what I remember he was the first to really push it out for long stretches with minimal rest between places that he could get good R+R - eg the High Country Lodge in Polaris or Brush Mtn Lodge around halfway. So not being there at specific time, but pre-planned stops that broke it into stages. Before that most racers were following the regular daily pattern approach, maybe the odd 24-36hr stint along the way.
That makes sense, cheers. As I type this Mike is at Brush Mountain, I hope he didn't stay too long as the chasers are on the move again (bogged down in mud I believe).
jameso

Post by jameso »

I think the MH flag is Mike's record time applied to the new route, right? The Koko Claims is new, the section in the Basin is different. So like the 20 and 25 day markers, it's a dot moving at 14.5 day pace on the current route rather than where Mike actually was on his ride (sorry if that's already been covered - just thought it's relevant for comparisons).

The CP (Chris Plesko) SS men's record marker I think is 15.5 days, if so the leaders are on approx 15 day pace at the moment.

Keep browsing the tracker as much for the place names as following the race. The Wind River Range and Big Sandy Wilderness, Elkhead and Buffalo Creek etc, The Bridger Wilderness, The Lander Cut-off.. it's all so Wild West to me. I love it.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

jameso wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:36 pm I think the MH flag is Mike's record time applied to the new route, right? The Koko Claims is new, the section in the Basin is different. So like the 20 and 25 day markers, it's a dot moving at 14.5 day pace on the current route rather than where Mike actually was on his ride (sorry if that's already been covered - just thought it's relevant for comparisons).
Thanks for the info, I’d assumed that’s what would happen but was never 100% if that was the case.
Mart

Post by Mart »

jameso wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:36 pm I think the MH flag is Mike's record time applied to the new route, right? it's a dot moving at 14.5 day pace on the current route rather than where Mike actually was on his ride (sorry if that's already been covered - just thought it's relevant for comparisons).
I’m not sure it is - the MH flag stops where Mike stopped eg recently paused at brush mountain lodge.
A moving dot on an average pace wouldn’t stop like that.
It was my understanding it’s the MH historical data points applied to the current map (or maybe I’ve misunderstood the info when you click on the flag)
2924 miles per Gallon
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Not sure if it's been posted on here but Josh Ibbett is doing a daily update video, here's day eight's - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arOtFHGUlmw suitably entitled "Death mud in the Basin"
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Mart wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:10 pm
jameso wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:36 pm I think the MH flag is Mike's record time applied to the new route, right? it's a dot moving at 14.5 day pace on the current route rather than where Mike actually was on his ride (sorry if that's already been covered - just thought it's relevant for comparisons).
I’m not sure it is - the MH flag stops where Mike stopped eg recently paused at brush mountain lodge.
It was my understanding it’s the MH historical data points applied to the current map (or maybe I’ve misunderstood the info when you click on the flag)
Those with experience of the route, is Mikes flag following the 2016 version?
I thought his flag looked off the displayed route a few days ago & presumed it was because it was following the route he set the record on??

It's great to still see his flag there..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Wotsits wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:56 pm
Those with experience of the route, is Mikes flag following the 2016 version?
I thought his flag looked off the displayed route a few days ago & presumed it was because it was following the route he set the record on??

It's great to still see his flag there..
Pretty sure that it is his time applied to the current route.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Dave Barter wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:36 am Pretty sure that it is his time applied to the current route.
Thanks Dave
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
jameso

Post by jameso »

Ok I stand corrected then, hadn't realised the dot stopped. I thought they were all time dots. That explains wotsit's q on what happens to the MH dot at the Basin then, where the route is different.
The detail's prob been covered on bikepacking.net, Scott Morris runs trackleaders and posts on there
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Mikes dot follows the route he took. If you follow it closely or look at the right time you'll see he is off the current route.

As the Basin has been mentioned, I think the original route across the Basin followed the GDMBR map route to Rawlins but was changed at one point to go via Wamsutter, which is why Brush Mountain became a feature, the map route takes a different path. When Mike rode he went via Wamsutter.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Looks like Mikes record will stand another year. I thought Ulrich might have caught it as he hasn't stopped but his tracker is showing lots of sub-10mph's so mebbes more mud? Lael Wilcox also seems to have been going very slowly yesterday - her record is long gone....
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Lael was posting on IG about having problems with vomiting, and she went to a medical centre and got put on a drip for a bit. She still seems cheery though.
faustus

Post by faustus »

Yeah, I thought Ulrich was going to catch Mike's dot, but not now. Looks like a year of tough conditions for different reasons (not wildfires), but Alexandera Houchin is ahead of her own record, as her hefty SS gear seems to be better suited to the last parts of the route.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

First bouncing marker. What a ride regardless of not getting the record
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

14 days, 2hrs 15m by reckoning - fast considering he was stopped for 9hrs or so in the mud and had to fix his bike.
I suspect all it needs is a dry year and Mikes record will fall. Nice seeing his dot on the track though, until that day :-bd
jameso

Post by jameso »

Wow. Only just over 14 days is incredible, didn't look to be the fastest course conditions this year either.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:03 pm 14 days, 2hrs 15m by reckoning - fast considering he was stopped for 9hrs or so in the mud and had to fix his bike.
I suspect all it needs is a dry year and Mikes record will fall. Nice seeing his dot on the track though, until that day :-bd
I pray to Allah that it doesn't. This - the fact that the record still stands - has just made my day. Had tuned out of the race after seeing people/someone mention that the record was being broken imminently.

Jolly good show Mike :-bd
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:07 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:03 pm 14 days, 2hrs 15m by reckoning - fast considering he was stopped for 9hrs or so in the mud and had to fix his bike.
I pray to Allah that it doesn't. This - the fact that the record still stands - has just made my day. Had tuned out of the race after seeing people/someone mention that the record was being broken imminently.

Jolly good show Mike :-bd
I think Mike would want his record to be broken TBH
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Interesting alternative tour divide YouTube vids https://youtu.be/rrrhGmKitNM
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:07 pm
Records are meant to be broken Shaf. The only ones that can't be are the firsts: Roger Bannister being the first person to run a mile in under 4 minutes is perhaps the best known from athletics; Geoff Hurst was the first to score a hat trick in a World Cup final, Kylian Mbappe repeated the feat last year but GH was the first.

Mike was the first (and to date, the only) person to ride the TDR in under 14 days, that will always stand regardless of whether someone posts a faster time.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

True, and I agree Bob. Just can't help myself and it's what keeps me entertained/engrossed at the TD dot watching thing. :grin: Might be the fact that Mike was local to us and a few other things :smile:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

It's a way of remembering him - seeing his dot go along the route every year. Hopefully even after someone does break his record they'll keep running his dot :-bd
I see Gail Brown is doing very well - fastest Brit all being well.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

That's Lael finished, and first singlespeeder not far behind