Catalyst pedals?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Catalyst pedals?

Post by ootini »

I have large feet. Size 12-13 depending on shoe brand, and also find SPDs something I'm no longer comfortable riding with.
I spotted these Catalyst pedals today and like the idea that they're good for the larger of foot, but also that you use your full foot, nit just ball.
Has anyone had experience with them? Any thoughts or opinions?

https://pedalinginnovations.com
voodoo_simon

Re: Catalyst pedals?

Post by voodoo_simon »

Having size 7-8 feet I’m probably not the best to comment on large pedals but youre supposed to position your foot different SPD to flat. So SPD is ball just past the pedal axle (give or take Bontrager recommend the clear centre goes 1cm behind the centre of the ball) whilst a flat shoe is more arch over the pedal rather than your ball
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Seems fair enough - although I've size 11 feet and find Nukeproof Electrons are plenty large enough and £35....
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

I'm your shoe size but don't have your problems, setup as above.

The pedals you link to sound interesting so no negative comments on them
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I don't have them, but I've come across them before and found the idea interesting. I'd like to try them, but not at the price they're asking. It did influence me to buy the longest reasonably-priced flat pedals I could find, which, if you want to avoid that search yourself, were One Up ones (at the time). I also don't have much of a problem with Nukeproof Electrons which are on most of my bikes - they're even cheaper than they were, and incredible value. I have size 11 feet BTW.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Is pedalling really like doing a squat ?
Surely each stroke is more like jumping /pushing off hence using the ball of the foot
I am not sure his comparison with a static wider stance squat is particular valid
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Not tried them myself, but am aware of a few folk using them and all reviews have been positive (except for price!).

On the subject of foot position relative to the axle, there's a bit of a movement in some circles for a more midfoot cleat position rather than just behind the ball of the foot. Seems to be better for endurance/not screwing up your joints, even if it means losing out on a few precious watts when you're sprinting on the Camps Elysees.
touch

Post by touch »

I would be put off buying them due to all the dubious claims on their website. It seems to be an American thing - presumably due to differences in advertising laws?
Despite "decades of research" and an entire page dedicated to "The Science", there isn't actually any evidence of the pedals making a difference. The claim seems to be something like "clipless pedals are bad therefor our pedals must be good". There's no studies looking at the performance of these pedals. There's no real-world data shown. All the claims of "more power" and "better efficiency" are vague and never include any figures for how much more power or efficiency.

Then there's the classic line about how all the big corporations are in a conspiracy to suppress this amazing new technology :roll: :
"You might also be wondering why you’ve never heard of these studies. Well, there is a lot of money and a lot of egos tied up in the traditional view of the pedal stroke."

The sad thing is that the pedals would probably be great for some riders so if they'd just advertise them properly they'd probably sell a lot more.
errol

Post by errol »

I have similar sized plates of meat.

I use Pembree D2A pedals on the bouncy bike (UK made without the corporate blurb or vague spiel), quite wide, superb quality, great eco creds, cant fault them!

Not had any problems to date. I would rate them above Hope F22s.

HTH