Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Verena

Re: Todays ride

Post by Verena »

Liking the cafe themed riding there Boab :-bd
Verena

Post by Verena »

I’m offering this post as a bit of therapy for those of you who are already missing WRT, and/or who generally wax lyrically about Wales and how beautiful it is….

It is, but….

ImageIMG_20230514_174240 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

This place would not really make it onto the list of Boab’s cycle friendly cafes me thinks…

ImageIMG_20230514_171518 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Flyover tangle… spot the cycle route through …..

ImageIMG_20230514_172134 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Nice view from the top though.

ImageIMG_20230514_181920 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Brutalist style abounds… It’s an elderly care home, nice view though from their lounge I bet.

ImageIMG_20230514_175610 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

But seriously though, I think, and my daughter is with me on that, that Port Talbot has a certain charm all in its own league….

ImageIMG_20230514_175720 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20230514_183544 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

And what a find, a really nice, friendly curry house right on the seafront, with bike friendly tables (lean bike up against the window outside right by your table), and an all you can eat buffet on a Sunday night for a tenner!!!

In case you were wondering, this was my end point of an excellent day out on the bike, young Miss Z and I had shared a car to Cardiff, she’d gone off and done her thing while I went off on my ride, then we negotiated a pick up there, to save her hanging around Cardiff for another couple of hours waiting for me.

Oh yes, my ride, so this was no. 2 of my venture exploring the world of audax, this time on my own, not just as in not with a friend, but also as in DIY, as I wasn’t able to make the calendar event last weekend, so they kindly let me have a go as a DIY (obviously not completed, because of the curry and lift above, but I still did 169km which I’m happy with).

I usually stop every two seconds when I’m out riding to take photos, so this time I was really trying to make an effort not to, so I passed through lots and lots of lovely places too, but no photos at all. Just photos of my brief stops to get a receipt from a shop and shove some food and drink down me, like this one.

ImageIMG-20230514-WA0003 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

I really really loved the route, a great mixture of bits I knew and bits that were new to me, and connecting them up. Went through part of the Valleys which I’ve never been to and been meaning to explore. All seen at is best, on a sunny day, and these days I’ve got more of an appreciation of the history there, all those long terraces, miners welfare halls, and big old chapels….

Once more so so impressed by the work sustrans have done with the cycle routes, often along old railway lines. I know I’ve raved about them before, but sorry, I have to again… it’s like there’s the world as seen through the eyes of “normal” travel by car, and then a whole other reality superimposed when you travel through by bike, much greener, much nicer, than you’d otherwise think those areas are like.

Through more of my normal stomping ground and the only two actual hills of Glyneath and then up to Brynamman from Ystradgynlais, then on once more to another area I’ve been meaning to explore, and another absolutely glorious long long stretch of cycle route, the route 47 Swiss Valley. In fact, Route 47 is one I’d like to spend more time exploring….

I think if I ever decide to get a tattoo, I might have to opt for my favourite sustrans routes… so far that would be 46 47 4 :lol:

This connected me back to another route I really like, from Llanelli onto route 4 and the lovely Clyne Valley cycle way which pops out (always quite suddenly, even though I now know it’s coming, I just love that) right on the beach in Swansea bay.

ImageIMG_20230514_160134 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Here I took my only “pretty” photo, before heading on along route 4, again exploring the bit to the east of Swansea which I’ve been wanting to do for a while, lots of industrial wastelands in various states of ongoing regeneration, all really interesting to see it more slowly from the viewpoint of a bike, and that really takes us back to where I took the photos at the beginning.

Obviously I didn’t complete the ride back to Cardiff this time, but still, just the thought that it would be possible to ride all the way from Cardiff to the other side of Swansea and then back again, via the foothills of the Black Mountain, in one day, I still find quite mindblowing – again, a whole new perspective on distance/ scale when compared to being out and about by car.

So yes, all in all a thoroughly enjoyable day on the bike! :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

:-bd

You're absolutely on the money there V - urban rides can be fascinating: history, people, industry, archaeology, etc etc.

Port Talbot..... charming..... we'll give you the benefit of the doubt this time :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
psling

Post by psling »

Great ride V :-bd Some of the cycle trails in South Wales are very worthwhile, I've ridden out from Pembrey to Mumbles on 4 along the coast before now too.

Port Talbot..... charming..... we'll give you the benefit of the doubt this time :smile: .
I spent many a happy, sunny afternoon on Aberavon beach as a child I'll have you know! :cool: :wink:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Verena

Post by Verena »

psling wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:33 pm Great ride V :-bd Some of the cycle trails in South Wales are very worthwhile, I've ridden out from Pembrey to Mumbles on 4 along the coast before now too.

I spent many a happy, sunny afternoon on Aberavon beach as a child I'll have you know! :cool: :wink:
Seeee! One for the connoisseurs among us!!

Route 4 from Pembrey, yes, couldn't believe it is possible to have such a long stretch of completely flat riding anywhere in Wales!
Verena

Post by Verena »

Very nice bank holiday trip, did involve a bivvy, but had already done my May BAM, so that's why I'm posting this here.

It started with a lovely morning spent at always beautiful Llangennith beach with my daughter
ImageIMG_20230528_090856 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

followed by a delicious second breakfast at Eddie's cafe (French toast apparently, with heaps of yummy yoghurt, fruit, and caramelised bananas I think? on top)
ImageIMG_20230528_111316 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

She then left me and my bike and assorted kit to faff with for a while, before I returned to the cafe once more for a coffee out on the terrace. And what a nice surprise, just then some guy and his guitar started serenading us with some dulcid tones, turns out he is someone called James Kirby, and his songs were beautiful, including this one called Sweet Llangennith https://youtu.be/JxIUFnCP9lA

I eventually managed to tear myself away and started riding back towards Swansea. I thought the roads would be hideously busy, but actually I must have timed it just right, and the route I had picked over the top/ middle of the Gower, called the Gower Way on the map, was just lovely.
ImageIMG_20230528_143753 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

I met my bivvy and riding buddy here at the memorial for Swansea Jack
ImageIMG_20230528_171453 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

We rode route 4 along the Loughour estuary and Llanelli, then 47 up the Swiss Valley cycle route again and over to the Amman valley, by which time it was getting dark and we were hoping to find something to eat somewhere. We found a Chinese takeaway that was still open, and had some meh chips but absolutely AMAZING spring rolls, half of which the kind owner let us sit and eat in the shop before he shut, had a nice chat with him.
Just down the road we found a petrol station where we loaded up on snacks for the night, then came what we both enjoyed the most, riding up to the top of the Black Mountain in the dark, moonlit, windy night.

Little bit of potential excitement there as we were setting up our bivvy spot - take note dear fellow bikepackers, that night could have turned out very differently!!
We'd walked off the road to a sheltered spot a fair way away, I was doing my usual messing and hopping around inside my sleeping and bivvy bag, going oh look it's such a clear night I don't even need a head torch, jump, ouch what was that? Reached down for what I thought was a sharp rock, but turned out I had jumped with all my weight right onto a proper jagged edge broken glass bottle top :shock: The thought of what that would have done if I had not had my feet inside a thick pair of socks, sleeping bag and bivvy bag, still makes me queezy now as I write it...
I'll certainly be much more careful in future...

All that was quickly forgotten though as we shared our last still warm spring roll and tucked into our feast of snacks and beers
ImageIMG_20230529_122537 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

One of the best nights sleep I've had on a bivvy, probably owing to going to sleep way past 1am with a belly full of beer and chocolate :lol:
In the morning we headed up the bank for a brew with a view
ImageIMG_20230529_055316 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG-20230530-WA0001 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

before riding off the hill down the other side, where we went our separate ways again
ImageIMG-20230529-WA0000 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

me homeward bound the Usk reservoir way, it was a gorgeous morning to be out riding
ImageIMG_20230529_093144 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20230529_123337 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20230529_100326 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

I do like cows really
ImageIMG_20230529_112523 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
GoneCaving

Post by GoneCaving »

Verena wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:40 pm I’m offering this post as a bit of therapy for those of you who are already missing WRT
Aww that looks smashing V! I’m totally missing the WRT and Karl’s LHC ride. First week of my ridiculously early retirement and the solo rides this week while nice are all on road and just not the same.
Loki

Post by Loki »

After what can be described as a catastrophic last 12 months I am finally back on the bike, the damage done to my brain actually means that cycling is much easier than walking, I have been very worried that I would not be able to ride again, at least now I am able to start the rebuilding process, although a few days ago now I managed a three mile spin out along the estuary path. It was super warm out and I wished I had taken some water with me but the miles felt good, for the first time in ages I enjoyed the feeling of rolling along on the bike, it was like being a kid again, the wind in the beard (hair went years ago) the crunch under the tyres, the bike was lush on it's new wheels, although I was tired and sore after it was great, next time I think I will take my brew kit for a mid spin cuppa, I will be adding more miles as my health improves.

ImageUntitled by Simon Kirk, on Flickr
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Loki wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:04 pm After what can be described as a catastrophic last 12 months I am finally back on the bike, the damage done to my brain actually means that cycling is much easier than walking, I have been very worried that I would not be able to ride again, at least now I am able to start the rebuilding process, although a few days ago now I managed a three mile spin out along the estuary path. It was super warm out and I wished I had taken some water with me but the miles felt good, for the first time in ages I enjoyed the feeling of rolling along on the bike, it was like being a kid again, the wind in the beard (hair went years ago) the crunch under the tyres, the bike was lush on it's new wheels, although I was tired and sore after it was great, next time I think I will take my brew kit for a mid spin cuppa, I will be adding more miles as my health improves.

Well done Simon and so nice to see you back. Hope the miles just get easier and easier. I was off for over 6 months due to a heart infection years ago. Took a good few years but am back to standard form again. Nice pics too :-bd
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Loki wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:04 pm After what can be described as a catastrophic last 12 months I am finally back on the bike, the damage done to my brain actually means that cycling is much easier than walking, I have been very worried that I would not be able to ride again, at least now I am able to start the rebuilding process, although a few days ago now I managed a three mile spin out along the estuary path. It was super warm out and I wished I had taken some water with me but the miles felt good, for the first time in ages I enjoyed the feeling of rolling along on the bike, it was like being a kid again, the wind in the beard (hair went years ago) the crunch under the tyres, the bike was lush on it's new wheels, although I was tired and sore after it was great, next time I think I will take my brew kit for a mid spin cuppa, I will be adding more miles as my health improves.

That's amazing news - just getting out and riding is the biggest step! And now you're still officially a "cyclist"/"biker"/"bike packer"/ whateveradjectiveyouprefer again too!
redefined_cycles

So earlier in the year, during the sudden massive fall of snowand seeing that so many were getting out there to enjoy it and challenge themselves + kit. With maybe a bit of inspiration from the chap that attempted the HT550 in the extreme snow, I made this 9 miler loop from Ogden water.

It was supposed to be straightforward! Drop the missus at about 1600 at the inlaws and head over to that freshly made loop. 59 mins and 18 seconds later, I was back at the car. Having cut the loop short by a few country miles, at least I'd be back to the inlaws to get the family home for kids school in the morn.

Image (Surah Wa-qiah, v73, The Quran)

It was a right old learning curve, especially in Bronte county - Oxenhope and surrounding areas if I'd managed to make progress past the first mile. In the same few days (or in the same week... or whatever!!) the chap in the Highland550 winter/snow attempt had done x amount of miles, I'd just managed a paltry 1.9 :-bd

So today when the missus needed to go to her mums, I had planned to come back and do a bit of local training. But instead the thought of the Oxenhope Loop came to me, so bike packed in the boot and family dropped off at the MILs, I departed once again for Oxenhope.

Thinking it would be easy now it's summer, it wasn't. Well not for me and the bigger chainring, but it wss lovely and I managed to get round in not too shoddy a time. Hopefully will try another winter attempt whilst others are doing 100 milers through the snow, I'll just give this 9 miler a shot and hope not to become unstuck/stuck!

The loop is only actually 9 miles but the extra 5 was using the roads to get to Odgen Water rather than park right in it's face (like everyone else).

Looks much more scenic without the snow and fear of travelling further in.

Tried my hand at hike a bike (on the shoulders) but my technique needs brushing still!

Closest I've been yet to a lapwing but as soon as I spotted it and tried to pull out the phone/cam, it got shy and flew off...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Useful things these bikepacking bags. On the 25 mile ride back from my LBS (yes I know, but I like the cut of his jib), I went past a dubious-looking Lidl. I'd heard they were flogging some interesting ales so I popped in, pushing my bike round the aisles. Just enough room for three cans.....Thornbridge... Slightly baffled how they were half the price of an equivalent different Thornbridge offering but there we go.

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:39 pm Useful things these bikepacking bags. On the 25 mile ride back from my LBS (yes I know, but I like the cut of his jib), I went past a dubious-looking Lidl. I'd heard they were flogging some interesting ales so I popped in, pushing my bike round the aisles. Just enough room for three cans.....Thornbridge... Slightly baffled how they were half the price of an equivalent different Thornbridge offering but there we go.

Reg. You're alcohol is called Kakawa of which I have a 40L hiking backpack (Durston Kakwa 40L) named the same/similar. What is it (a Kakawa/Kakwa). Interesting stuff. The pack is amazingly comfy btw!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Curious. Wonder which was named after which.

redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:34 pm Curious. Wonder which was named after which.
Right then... I'm gonna ask him! Will get back to ya :grin:
redefined_cycles

https://trailpeak.com/trails/Kakwa-Fall ... ie-AB-3275

DanD being a Bushwachking/walking type, after a quick google, I think we have the answer. https://trailpeak.com/trails/Kakwa-Fall ... ie-AB-3275

Beautiful place of waterfalls apparently which I assume he'll confirm :-bd
redefined_cycles

Answer from the ultralite walkers (Trek-lite.com) and the thread about that pack = Kakwa is the end point of the Great Divide Trail. :smile:
redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:34 pm Curious. Wonder which was named after which.
Here we go Reg. Youre Kak and it's meaning is up to you :grin: But my Kakwa is named thus... from the man (Dan Durston) himself:
Kakwa is a Cree word for porcupine, and it is an important name here in the Canadian Rockies. The famous Great Divide Trail ends at Kakwa Provincial Park where there is Kakwa Lake, Kakwa Peak, Kakwa Falls, Kakwa River etc.
(Credit: thread on Trek-lite forum).

Post by RIP »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:11 pm Here we go Reg. Youre Kak and it's meaning is up to you :grin:
Any Dutch speakers in the house?

kvragu

Post by kvragu »

Wee hikeabike above Dundee
DSC07878.JPG
DSC07878.JPG (119.74 KiB) Viewed 4067 times
kvragu

Post by kvragu »

The hike bit is more because I can't do mtb stuff
The hike bit is more because I can't do mtb stuff
DSC07885.JPG (137.65 KiB) Viewed 4068 times
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Relatively short, lightly hilly but momentous ride today. My wife has just got out of a crappy, overly stressful job which combined with a damaged rotator cuff & nerves has made her pretty sedentary for the last 2 years.

Bought her a swytch ebike kit earlier in the year, and today was our first proper ride together with it. I underestimated her competitive streak, and just grabbed the stooge with 3" soft tyres... Turns out that a reasonably determined and fairly small person with 250 extra watts is hard to keep up with on a road hill!

Much sweating from me, smiling and slightly out of breath from her and a good time was had by all! Hopefully her shoulder will still work in the morning, and it'll become a regular thing 🙂
RIP

Post by RIP »

Where would go if you needed a couple of emergency days away and fancied somewhere scenic and culturally interesting?

Merthyr Tydfil obviously!

Down the station, buy the ticket, jump on the train, easy.

Got to take my life in my hands crossing London from Euston to Paddington. Used to do a similar commute for years but a bit out of practice now. Close your eyes and go for it is the best policy I reckon.

Actually I love it. Invigorating to say the least.

Off we go. Deserve a beer after all those mean streets I reckon. Severn Tunnel closed for engineering work so a bonus diversion via Gloucester.

Beer, crisps, staring aimlessly out of the window, barrelling along at 130mph. As my mentor Lu would say, life is good.

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

More like Sunday's ride
https://youtu.be/tGr55WlJ5LY
RIP

Post by RIP »

Lineside fire, chucked out at Pontypridd! Rode the rest of the way up the Taff Trail. Only took three wrong turns. They need to get their signage sorted out. Enjoyable apart from that.