Up hill and down dale - Peak 200 ITT?

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

slarge

Up hill and down dale - Peak 200 ITT?

Post by slarge »

I've done a fair bit of riding in the Peak District over the years, starting off with the Dark and White trailquests a dozen or so years ago, and then quite a lot of social rides and epics, so I thought I knew a lot of it. I haven't been up there for a year or 2, and recent riding has been focussed on the Ladybower area.
As training for the Tuscany Trail in June, the Peak200 ITT was (I thought) perfect - the right distance, a bit of climbing, and a big day in the saddle. Two months prior to the Tuscany Trail was also ideal - good test of the bike, the kit, and me.
Parking in Baslow, I figured that this would not give me the opportunity to bail, as plenty of others have started in Edale on the inner loop and a bit too close to the outer loop, and the finish rate for this has been quite low (2 out of 10-20?). I also figured that this gets the inner loop finished before getting too knackered, and the west side of the ride was relatively easy (bollocks was it!).

Up at 4 to a freezing foggy morning, I was fed, dressed and ready to go for 5am. Should be finished by about 10 pm I thought.........
Climbing up Baslow Edge, the fog was only in the valleys, so it became a little clearer (still dark though), and across Froggatt Edge I disturbed 3 herds of roe deer, this was not a bad start to the day. The sun rose with a pink tinge and it soon became clear this was going to be a stunner of a morning. Across Totley Moor I started to step the pace up a bit, only to go over the bars in a peat hole. No harm done, I thought better of stepping the pace up, and across Burbage Moor a couple of early walkers were clearly enjoying the blue skies and morning freshness.
Whinstone Lee Tor was a bit more cut up than I remember, but still fun, Still feeling good, it was up to Hope Cross (up The Beast - it all looks rideable if you're coming down - going up is a definite push). Up Dirtlow Rake, then down Cavedale (still haven't ridden down this - it looks OK from the top, but my nerve always gets the better of me). I slipped while walking down and ended up sitting in the stream with the Camelback straps caught on the saddle - I couldn't stand up with the bike attached to me - my shorts are definitely waterproof though! :-bd

Reaching the bottom of Cavedale I had a thought. Cavedale isn't on the route. I checked the map (I was relying on the GPS to now), and my thoughts were correct - Cavedale isn't on the route. Checking the GPS I had loaded "PeakITT" instead of "Peak ITT 2015". I was following the previous route - hence I rode round Totley Moor and missed Houndkirk Moor. Plus I missed a section of the inner loop. Bollocks.
Thinking logically (a strange logic, as I've now done a bastardised PeakITT), I selected the 2015 route and carried on, up Winnats Pass to get to Mam Tor, which was back on route. Passed a couple of roadies on the way up, which always feels good. Hollins Cross came and went, then into Edale toilets for a water refill, and a feed (jam sandwiches take some beating!).

Halfway (100k) was Cut Gate - this was a bit of a push. The jam sandwiches were letting me down as my legs were now feeling the climbs, and my hands were starting to ache (I am sure my forks only absorb the big hits - the small stuff goes straight through to my wrists). Mickleden Edge was fun, it's been paved since I last rode it, but it hasn't been sanitised it too much, then the old railway line was a real relief, especially as the wind was picking up and was now behind me. The trail down to Salters Brook is a place with atmosphere for me - there used to be an inn for travellers there - nothing left of that except the odd piles of stones, but it's interesting how places change through the years. Then down the Woodhead reservoir trail, with a quick stop off for water at the toilets by Torside reservoir (this water is not for drinking it says, and it did taste a bit). Decided to top up with clean water in Glossop.
Lantern Pike is another favourite, probably as it's quite early on the Pennine Bridleway so is done first thing in the morning - which is a good time to ride it. Was getting knackered now though, counting the kilometres, and constantly calculating " 90 to go, in 10 that's 80 to go - that's 50 miles - that's easy". Then the devil inside says "50 miles, that's a days ride in itself, it's still a flipping long way!". I think the climb (push) out off Birch Vale finished me off. From then it was the little gears an awful lot, with constant feeding trying to get the legs back. And it was a cold sidewind that made riding in ruts tricky. Lots of pushing now.
The climb up Mount Famine, and across the Roych came and went - it was now around 5pm, I'd been going 12 hours and the walkers and bikers had all gone home.

I still thought I would be finishing around 10pm, maybe 11pm (18 hours was the target time). I was thinking that it wasn't far now, trying to remember which bit linked to which other bit. Then realising that I had missed a hill out. Then it was lights on at Wormhill - this was around the 180km mark, so was nearly done (only 40km to go - with no hills! Yippee! (twit!)).

Spinning down the Tissington trail was great - I had been expecting a strong headwind but it wasn't too bad, not far to go now; Long Dale wasn't the boggy mess I had heard about from last year - I was thankfull for this - little did I know what was coming. Gratton Dale. Why does it even exist? 2km of unrideable boulder strewn muddy mess. But there is a stream at the end to clean the bike and shoes (you have no choice in this matter). Now the anticipated finish time was creeping backwards. 11pm was still possible I thought, maybe 11.30. Really knackered now, and if someone had offered me a lift now I would probably have taken it. More food just to try to stop the dreaded bonk.

Haddon Hall climb was all ridden , but the woody climb up towards Chatsworth was a slow push - a bit too muddy to ride anyway (I love excuses). Then descending to Chatsworth was the most welcome descent of the whole ride. 220km done, and only a bit of road to the finish. A slow slog back to Baslow, and finished. 225km, 5700m of climbing. Total time 19hours 20 minutes, and around 7500 calories. 2 bananas (well mashed after the OTB bit), 14 energy bars, a bag of cranberries, 4 rounds of jam sandwiches, a pot of rice pudding and a couple of gels - and I was still hungry.

So, have I done the Peak ITT? I did the first half of the 2014 version, and the second half of the 2015 version. I think it's a bit longer and more climbing with my version, but I'll let others judge.

It is a cracking route - but tough. There are a lot of trails that are stoney, so either fattish tyres or good forks would help absorb the bumps. The hills are quite relentless, and there is plenty of opportunity to challenge yourself on the descents (potato alley!!), but this adds to the fun. A light, short travel full suss bike would be ideal, but a 29er hardtail worked fine for me. Ian has put together a real corker and more people should have a go (there's a lot of bivvy spots also if a 2 dayer appeals).

Stuff that worked and stuff that didn't:
food was good, a chippy would have been ideal for Sunday tea (Ian - can you organise this?). Bike was good (except the forks - they're just not plush). Clothing was good, and my kit was good (small Wildcat Ocelot - this is ideal for sandwiches as they don't get mashed, and with careful packing quite a few of the little bits can fit in; fuel pod, and small Camelback with a 2 litre bladder). Dynamo light worked fine, but the battery pack was crap (it's a "Rav power" that is meant to allow pass through charging, it might, but the Garmin still throws a "Power Lost" message every time the dynamo reduces output. It also only powered the GPS for about 10 hours - and it is meant to be 5200mAh which is clearly rubbish). I'll be going back to the "PortaPow" battery that I've had for years. Fitness was good, just need to remember that an 18 hour ride is quite a long day. And don't forget the Sudacrem.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Up hill and down dale - Peak 200 ITT?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Well done fella. As someone born and bred in the Peak, I have a nice mental picture of the highs and lows :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Great ride Steve. 14 energy bars .. shall I call Dyno-rod for you now?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
slarge

Post by slarge »

Dave Barter wrote:Great ride Steve. 14 energy bars .. shall I call Dyno-rod for you now?
Too late for that Dave..... No chance of a blockage!
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Nice work Steve :-bd

I was keeping an eye on your spot page yesterday, although not to the extent that I spotted your diversions :wink: I'd agree that your V2.0 is a tougher ride, Winnats is never fun at the best of times. You've not incurred an advantage in taking a different route, and it is a bit confusing having the similar versions of the route around. I changed it as the original version was not weather resistant and was just too muddy, no fun in the wet and damaging to the ground. There was then another amendment as a few paths were upgraded to Bridleways and they were too good to not include! I'm sure you can go on the finisher list, with an asterix to explain the extra fun you had :-bd

I may make one last change now that burbage valley is a BW but then the 200 will be final. I am working on the 300 though! an extended loop to the north and a different west/southwest route taking in some riding round buxton too.

I'd also agree that a short travel 29er would be the ultimate bike for this loop, although I rode a rigid 29er when I rode it last year, long dale and gratton dale made me regret this, although it was perfect for most of the rest.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Seriously impressed with feats like that. I'd probably manage it OK if you lopped off the last "0" from the name.

Ey up mi duck Stu, didn't know you were a Derby Ram. Good for you.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ey up mi duck Stu, didn't know you were a Derby Ram. Good for you.
No one says, mi duck int' Peak District ... that's much further south :grin:
May the bridges you burn light your way
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

A good write up. An enjoyable read is the wrong way to describe it when you have an insight into the fitness, strength, mental approach and "balls" required to entertain and complete such an undertaking! Having said that, I did enjoy reading your story.

Certainly sounds like a damn fine ride! Top notch effort.

Hat taken off in respect sir...

Si
slarge

Post by slarge »

Thanks all for the comments. It is a cracking route, one that is a good challenge for a day ride, or ideal for an overnighter.
The 300km version on its way will be a monster I am sure - we are going to have to do a social bivvy ride for that!
cyclingtiger

Post by cyclingtiger »

Brilliant write up. I've been looking at this as my first big off-road ride which I hope to do later this year. I've been scoping the inner ring over winter including a snowy run over Hope Cross to Aston and riding the frozen peat over Cut Gate. Oh, and lots of falling over trying to get down Bradwell Edge because it had less traction than oiled glass.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

cyclingtiger wrote:Brilliant write up. I've been looking at this as my first big off-road ride which I hope to do later this year. I've been scoping the inner ring over winter including a snowy run over Hope Cross to Aston and riding the frozen peat over Cut Gate. Oh, and lots of falling over trying to get down Bradwell Edge because it had less traction than oiled glass.
There was talk that the landowner had suggested up grading a parallel track to be used for bikes, he thought this would be less muddy and narrow. I've not been out that way for a while but it would be preferable to the original track which is always wet even in the height of summer
benp1

Post by benp1 »

200km is definitely an overnighter for me!

I could easily drag that out into a 3 day 2 night trip actually!
atk

Post by atk »

Great write up! Also hoping to get round at some point this year, although possibly with a little nap depending on conditions...
RIP

Post by RIP »

"no one says, mi duck int' Peak District". Oops, there's me generalising my regional accents/dialects as usual. I was more Derby / Erewash Valley which admittedly even the most charitable man of the Peacs would decline to admit had anything approaching a "peak" :-).
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
cyclingtiger

Post by cyclingtiger »

ianfitz wrote: There was talk that the landowner had suggested up grading a parallel track to be used for bikes, he thought this would be less muddy and narrow. I've not been out that way for a while but it would be preferable to the original track which is always wet even in the height of summer
There was a parallel track but didn't seem wide enough for frequent MTB traffic and I didn't want to start cutting it up for walkers and horses.

Is Curbar Edge actually a bridleway? Still shows as just a footpath on the maps I've looked at although there is track running along White Edge instead with a drop off to the Grouse.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

cyclingtiger wrote:
ianfitz wrote: There was talk that the landowner had suggested up grading a parallel track to be used for bikes, he thought this would be less muddy and narrow. I've not been out that way for a while but it would be preferable to the original track which is always wet even in the height of summer
There was a parallel track but didn't seem wide enough for frequent MTB traffic and I didn't want to start cutting it up for walkers and horses.

Is Curbar Edge actually a bridleway? Still shows as just a footpath on the maps I've looked at although there is track running along White Edge instead with a drop off to the Grouse.

It may still be going through the permissions stage, just saw it discussed on the ride sheffield FB page, it will be signed if/when it happens

Yes Longshaw, frogatt/ curbar, burbage, totley and Bar brook track and other of the eastern moors paths have all been upgraded to permissive BWs, changes not reflected by OS yet either printed or electronic but the signs are there on the ground. Amusingly despite doing a high proportion of cheeky riding the biggest rant I have ever been on the end of was from Mr indignant and entitled rambler on the curbar path. after it was 'legal'
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Juat camw across this write up of yours Steve. Enjoyed it (as I've tried twice and bailed on both attempts :lol:). First time my shortcut ended up via Pym Chair which at the time I thought was me going through Kinder Scout. Lovely riding regardless and I'll be back for another go when I'm able :smile: