Fast Tyres

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

Fast Tyres

Post by Boab »

Thinking that now it's dry and dusty, I could use some faster tyres for upcoming trips. I seem to get on with Schwalbe on the MTB and Pirelli on the Gravel bike, but am open to suggestions. I was thinking about getting a pair of Thunder Burt's, but I see that Bontrager XR1's can be had for quite a bit less money; how do they stack up puncture proof wise...? Anyone run Pirelli Scorpion XC R or XC H as another for the mix...?
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
fatbikephil

Re: Fast Tyres

Post by fatbikephil »

Don't under any circumstances, get thunderburts. They are the weediest tyres I've ever experienced - literally puncture as soon as look at them. Bonty XR2's for me
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Not sure if they're still available, but I always got on well with conti race kings for that kind of use (until I put one on the back of the tandem, and shredded it in about 40miles...)
Tonto

Post by Tonto »

I have some Vittoria mezcals on one bike.
They are pretty much what you are looking for.
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Vittoria mezcals on one bike.
They are pretty much what you are looking for
Agree with this
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Maxxis Ikons have been good so far on dry hard stuff, not taken them through any significant amount of sand or mud
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Ikkon is ok in mud [ but it is a 2.8 so YMMV
Conti race kings
Horrible to set up tubeless if you want a 29 version you can have it [ you wont thank me unless you use tubes]
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

I've used 2.2 Ikons for years, since they were still considered an MTB tyres size. Great for every terrain you want to go fast on, and not so great in conditions you should have stayed at home in.

They are probably considered gravel tyre nowadays. :roll:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Only ridden Thunder Burt many years ago and as mentioned, punctured very fast, needed to be ridden with lots of pressure and then came the cuts. But since then Schwalbe has changed the construction and compound so can not be compared to today's offerings.
If interested in Thunder Burts, make sure you get the heaviest option and speedgrip rubber and find out for yourself.

Fastest tyre I rode in the last two years must be Vittoria Terreno Dry. As per any true XC tyre it needs quite some pressure to not feel squirmy (or light weight insert), otherwise it was simply stupidly fast, offered hard any purchase on steep climbs/descends and kinda okay in corners. All in all a better tyre than eg new Racing Ralph (for a rear tyre). At that time (just to break a certain record) I used Mezcal front/Terreno rear - hellish fast, but no tyre for a capable short travel susser and a not sub standard rider.
I've too been running Mezcals front/rear on rigid and HT bikes (2.6, V 2.0) for some specific trips and as an every day offroad commute tyre and find them really good for all kinds of easy offroad riding (like HT550 stuff, traverses of Iceland etc.). They are rather sturdy for the weight.

On my short travel trail bike I often use a Ikon 2.6 EXO Dual on the rear. Closest to Mezcals of what I rode in the last 2 - 3 years. Slightly more traction on steep tracks, slightly slower on tarmac, sidewalls more prone to damage.

Never tried a Pirelli MTB tyre but find the gravel bike tyres good. I guess it's worth a shot.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Thanks for your thoughts folks. Did a ~170KM multi-surface ride yesterday, running the Rocket Ron on the back and the Nobby Nic on the front. It wasn't that bad, I'd rather something slightly faster on the front, but struggling to justify the outlay on two new tyres, no matter how much I'd like them. Anyone care to comment on how Bonty XR1's would compare to the obviously well regarded Mezcal's...?
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Maybe the seat of my pants isn't that sensitive but I find it hard to tell the difference between tyres and without doing back-to-back testing, same day, same conditions etc i think ii would be impossible for me to make any accurate conclusions beyond looking at the tread and going " thats more knobbly so must be slower"
This site however does manage to quantify some things. https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/mtb-reviews
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I'm on a similar mission of finding the fastest (but without sacrificing puncture resistance) tyre for the dry/dusty rocky trails
Mainly for going uphill and strong enough yo go back down without being cut up!

I don't reckon BRR portrays a proper picture of mtb tires due to the sterile nature of the testing. But I did the above graph for you anyway :grin: Seems like the Rekon I have (not in the flavour mentioned) seems to be a good choice for strength v speed/grip. Might order myself another unless a Mezcal 2.0 can be found at dirt cheap prices (and the strength test at BRR gives good feedback too).
redefined_cycles

Actually Bob... Looks like the Mezcal 2.0 is a clear winner in both depts... Maybe a worthwhile investment (pending finding a good deal on a 27.5 x 2.6 or 2.8).

Boab

Post by Boab »

woodsmith wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:32 pm Maybe the seat of my pants isn't that sensitive but I find it hard to tell the difference between tyres and without doing back-to-back testing, same day, same conditions etc i think ii would be impossible for me to make any accurate conclusions beyond looking at the tread and going " thats more knobbly so must be slower"
This site however does manage to quantify some things. https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/mtb-reviews
That site is one of the reason for considering the Thunder Burt's, as the one of hte routes has a lot of tarmac. Shame they haven't tested any of the Bonty tyres.
redefined_cycles

Aha, yeah... I think he's mainly road orientated and is probably quite realistic in the restrictions to mtb testing in the lab. Thunder Burts :-bd Sound very fast. I'm gonna see if I can find some Mezcal in the 4 coumpound flavour. Thanks again for opening the thread Bob :-bd
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I had a really old pair of XR1s, pretty much a slick tyre with the smallest of side knobs on them. Seemed alright, perfect for your needs from the sounds of it but not much grip, so just take it easy on the corners.

Would a gravel tyre not work, something like a WTB venture could work well for you. Really tight little knobs on the centre making it almost slick (well, kind of) and some better tread on the outside. Use them on my gravel bike and they seem quick enough for me (did a road ride last week with them - 650bx47) and did 40KM in under 1 hr 20 mins. Quick well enough off road too.

Side note - Not got the Mescals but have the Barzo’s, seemed quite slow in comparison to my XR3s but better in the corners. Horses for courses!