I'm fairly sure you can't, but can you?

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

padonbike

I'm fairly sure you can't, but can you?

Post by padonbike »

In the far North West (Sutherland) Loch Dionard: I know this stretch is not rideable, but is it passable by pushing bike along the side of the loch for 1.5km or too rocky/boggy?
Starting Gualin House and going all the way through to Gobernuisgach Lodge all looks perfectly decent landrover track, just this bit by the loch though?
Only reply if you've actually done it please.
whitestone

Re: I'm fairly sure you can't, but can you?

Post by whitestone »

I know you said...

There was a thread about this a year or so ago (the OP was riding the other way). seems like the southern side of the loch is preferable but there'll be a river crossing at the far end. (source Phil Clarke so I'm not taking any blame for this :lol: )

Edit: Did a search and this is the thread viewtopic.php?f=15&t=21680&p=287838 with the actual trip report here - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21834&p=287833&hilit=wrath#p287833
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Thanks, I'm coming through with 8 relative novices on gravel bikes so going by road may win in the end.
elliptic

Post by elliptic »

Just seen this today...

I've done it going north on an mtb, around the SW side of the loch after a straightforward paddle through the inlet at the southern end. Its lumpy tussocky ground, in & out of peat hags etc so reasonably awkward push/carrying. It was a dry spell & took about 40mins according to my strava (but I'm used to awkward pushing).

The other side looked flatter but probably quite boggy with a rather more serious river crossing at the outflow.

Over to Glen Golly is rough doubletrack, on gravel bikes you'd likely be pushing a fair bit of the climb up to Creag Staonsaid (which is a fine wee viewpoint down the strath and over to the bealach H). It gets quite rubbly towards the top. The initial switchback descent off Creag Dubh might also be challenging, quite steep with a loose & skity surface.

A couple of the pictures on here might be useful: https://www.strava.com/activities/7019882083
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I think that the OP might be familiar with the track up Glen Golly :wink:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Lotsof info on this thread viewtopic.php?f=15&t=21680&p=287838&hil ... rd#p287838

I did it on the east side. Pretty easy push, but all pushing. River crossing at the north end was easy but it was during a dry spell.