Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by RIP »

Visited [George Bernard] Shaw's Corner. Interesting bloke. I think I need a revolving summerhouse.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:52 am I think I need a revolving summerhouse.
I think we all do :grin:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

RIP wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:52 am Visited [George Bernard] Shaw's Corner. Interesting bloke. I think I need a revolving summerhouse.
Was that the one that he called “London “ and if anyone came to visit his wife would say “Oh,he’s in London “ and they’d go away thinking that he wasn’t at home :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

whitestone wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:16 am
RIP wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:52 am Visited [George Bernard] Shaw's Corner. Interesting bloke. I think I need a revolving summerhouse.
Was that the one that he called “London “ and if anyone came to visit his wife would say “Oh,he’s in London “ and they’d go away thinking that he wasn’t at home :-bd
That's right :grin:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sun's out :-bd Dee's gone to Colchester Medieval festival until Tue, so I'm hope alone with a full workshop, stupid ideas and some silly dogs.

I've also just watched the fighters coming through the valley at low level which is always cheery :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Woke up thinking it was drizzling but it turned out to be the sound of midges knocking against the tent :o

Once out and away from the tent they aren’t too bad

Small mercies :roll:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Been swimming in the sea (warm but choppy) and am performing as a one-man band at a BBQ later
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Boab

Post by Boab »

I'm eating an entire packet of dark chocolate digestives. I'll let you decide if that's cheery or not...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

and am performing as a one-man band at a BBQ later
I think we need this filming.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Looking on the bright side, my hospital appointment got cancelled just as I was leaving for it so I've effectively got the afternoon off. :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Pretty cheery here, lying on the couch drinking beer and eating food after my long bike ride this week. More of the same tomorrow :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:59 pm Pretty cheery here, lying on the couch drinking beer and eating food after my long bike ride this week. More of the same tomorrow :-bd
Currently sat outside the Applecross Inn supping a beer in glorious sunshine ☀️ :-bd

Even better we didn’t get any NC500 traffic on the road here :grin:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:24 am
and am performing as a one-man band at a BBQ later
I think we need this filming.
Dang in a key too high. Never being released
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

whitestone wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:25 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:59 pm Pretty cheery here, lying on the couch drinking beer and eating food after my long bike ride this week. More of the same tomorrow :-bd
Currently sat outside the Applecross Inn supping a beer in glorious sunshine ☀️ :-bd

Even better we didn’t get any NC500 traffic on the road here :grin:
:-bd Just like the good old days!
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

08-50 wake-up
I almost managed to sleep in before a hospital :lol:
09:15 Phew made appoint ment at .
Also. had a coffee on way thx to Mrs ledburner.
When reduction happens, cycling will be more comfortable.
#manproblems
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Dave Barter wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:30 am Been swimming in the sea (warm but choppy) and am performing as a one-man band at a BBQ later
As the musical chef?
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

PaulB2 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:54 pm Looking on the bright side, my hospital appointment got cancelled just as I was leaving for it so I've effectively got the afternoon off. :-bd
My consultation didn't. :grin:
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Just got back from a lovely ride to Barmouth up and down the Mawddach trail with 8 family members. 'T was a perfect family day out - not too hot, not too windy, not too crowded and a lovely fish 'n chips in the town.

It was a truly lovely day out, so very cheery.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

3 day weekend starts now and I’ve just booked the TT for 2024 :-bd Very excited :grin:
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

I didn't know if I should put this into "Todays' Ride" but decided it was more Cheery than Ride, so here it is.

Every year at around this time, I gather lime tree flowers. These are my family remedy for colds - 6 flowers in a one-cup cafetiere taken before bed will dry up a runny nose until morning. I don't think it shortens the cold much but a dry nose through the night is a game changer. Todays ride was to "my" lime tree.

The crop...

... drying out for storage.

My ride took me by back-roads to Erddig Park for the harvest, then more back-roads home.

A curiosity (for me, anyway) was a large cow parsley-like plant in the hedge bank. There were a lot of these...

... standing proudly much higher than the hedges.

The stem...

I looked it up when I got home, and it's Poison Hemlock and it'll do you a lot of no-good if you eat any part of it. Leaves, stems, seeds, or roots if eaten will cause a slow death starting with numbness in the toes and ending in asphyxiation by paralysing the breathing muscles. It did for Socrates (remember him? Played philosophy for ancient Greece 2600 years ago), so they say. A bad news plant and no mistake.

Anyway - back to the cheery bit. While I was riding back I was stopped by a lane-full of cows coming in for milking. Filled the lane, they did and I stopped to chat with the farmer while they all trooped into the farmyard. This was the cheery bit. It was nice to see cows outside, doing cow things. I said so to the farmer. He told me that in a farm I'd passed a few hundred yards back there were 400 cows in sheds that never get to graze naturally. How sad is that. Just so I can buy a 4-pint of milk for £1.
But just to make it a bit more cheery, one of the cows broke from the herd and approached us.

"Ah, this is Dolly" said the farmer as he scratched her ears and patted her neck. "She always comes for a scratch and to have the flies chased off her back when she comes in". Now there's a farmer who likes his cows. Made me smile, it did, all the way home. How soppy am I?
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd Sounds ace Frog, happy cows defo a good thing.
Sort of cheery as although the week has been fraught it is Friday after all, tomorrows to be sunny and I've got the fat bike lined up for some leisurely bike riding in the hills. Nothing too drastic as I'm still in recovery mode but hope to score some nice views north whilst surrounded by precisely no-body.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Didn't post last Friday as I was out in the Cainrgorms, but that was very cheery, so it's worth revisting. Having ridden from our bivvy behind an old cottage in Glen Tromie round the outer loop, with stops in Kincraig for coffee and pastries, Boat of Garten for more patry (in lieu of pizza), and Tomintoul for ice cream, we pushed on far enough up Glen Gairn to get away from the midges. I ended the day sat on a clump of heather, with Orkney thin oatcakes, Orkney cheddar, and a flask of Ardmore, enjoying the 11 o'clock twilight:

Got more photos to share, but rather than sit at the computer sorting them, I'm off to ride my bike and bivvy in the Cheviots while the weather's nice, so you'll have to wait :cool:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Very nice! Especially the ice cream. May I have one please?

Bittersweet Friday. Just exchanged on my late parents' house sale this morning so that's a bit of a weight off the mind just in time for the 'market' to go predictably pearshaped. Also just in time to start the probate process for Mrs P's father who slipped away earlier in the week, so that's three I'm doing in parallel :-S :| . I've asked the mother in law if she can hold out a bit longer please.....

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I feel for you there Reg. On a happier note, I've just walked back through the forest and as you approach the in flower bramble, the buzzing of the bees is almost deafening - lovely :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Tough times Reg, hope it all works out as best as can be hoped.

Had another funny week but finally managed to fix a recalcitrent motorcycle after throwing it down the road a couple of months back and then finding a load of other stuff wrong with it. That said it's pedaling and paddling for me this weekend, starting with finding a suitable hill to sleep on top of :-bd