HT550 2023

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Re: HT550 2023

Post by whitestone »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:38 am I'm sure Cath will be fine Bob. She's as hard as anyone I've met. :-bd
I’m sure she will be Stu but she’s sort of got a “80 miles per day “ fixation rather than “keep going while it’s still light “ and I don’t think she knows how hard Fisherfield is - I haven’t stressed it so as not to put her off :oops:

She’ll keep plugging away at her own pace :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

… I don’t think she knows how hard Fisherfield is - I haven’t stressed it so as not to put her off
It was Annie Le's The Pink Dots movie movie, and more specifically Jade Field talking of a 35 mile day ~16 mins in which had me realise that a distance per day goal was likely not the way to plan it.

Angus Young (as we can obviously all relate to his riding :lol: ) saying to think of Ullapool as the route's half way point, given what comes after was an eye opener too.
SimonF

Post by SimonF »

Hyppy wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:04 am Angus Young (as we can obviously all relate to his riding :lol: ) saying to think of Ullapool as the route's half way point, given what comes after was an eye opener too.
I think this is good advice. Last year I approached it thinking that I wanted to get to Ullapool in good shape to enjoy Fisherfield and Torridon. There are tough sections in the Northern Loop but they don't come back to back like they do after Ullapool.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Looks like we will have our first female finisher now with Alice Lemkes
Chapeau
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Just spoken to Cath, she’s struggling with the heat, in particular she’s got trench foot making it difficult to pedal and walk.

She’s going to stop at the campsite in Ullapool tonight and try and sort her feet out as best she can. She still wants to continue and complete the route.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Aye its hot out there and wish her all the best from all of us
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Thanks for that update Bob. Hope she gets it sorted and makes the best decision tomorrow. Bloomin trenchfoot, thought people wouldn't get it this year due to the heat/dryness... Wonder if everyone finishes with it!
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

whitestone wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:12 pm Just spoken to Cath, she’s struggling with the heat, in particular she’s got trench foot making it difficult to pedal and walk.

She’s going to stop at the campsite in Ullapool tonight and try and sort her feet out as best she can. She still wants to continue and complete the route.
Ignorant question time, is that from sweating or river crossing?

Hopefully she’ll get them sorted tonight and can continue tomorrow.

Missed all of todays action as been without signal, will have to catch up with track leaders
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Go Cath ... once you've sorted your feet out :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Simon, it’s from sweating and the continuous pressure on the soles from pedalling. Might not be actual trench foot according to the definition but it’s very similar. I got it about a day from the end and it starts as if you’ve a bit of grit in your shoe then it starts to feel like you’re walking on broken glass :o

Somewhere there’s a shot of my soles back at Tyndrum, do not view while having your tea!
redefined_cycles

Simon, it’s from sweating and the continuous pressure on the soles from pedalling. Might not be actual trench foot according to the definition but it’s very similar. I got it about a day from the end and it starts as if you’ve a bit of grit in your shoe then it starts to feel like you’re walking on broken glass :o

Somewhere there’s a shot of my soles back at Tyndrum, do not view while having your tea!
Bob, is there a way of protecting from this but keeping on moving. Like removing the grit/different shoes/pedals!? :smile:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Shad, there is no grit, that’s what it feels like. I think it’s the brain just trying to make sense of a novel sensation. It can be the weave of your socks causing it or anything really.

I’ve a feeling that it’s called “immersion foot” these days rather than trench foot so what riders in Cath’s situation have may be classified differently
redefined_cycles

Thanks Bob :-bd

I remember first seeing it on Ian B pics from HT and I think Mike Hall also described it (but it was so long ago I forget how he'd explained it). So I suppose the answer to who gets it is, most likel everyone...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Hyppy wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:04 am
… I don’t think she knows how hard Fisherfield is - I haven’t stressed it so as not to put her off
Angus Young (as we can obviously all relate to his riding :lol: ) saying to think of Ullapool as the route's half way point, given what comes after was an eye opener too.
I’m not sure that is the case. On a five day schedule (finished in 5d 2hr 30m or so) I was exactly three days to Ullapool so it was a 72 : 50 split for me. That was using the Postman’s Path rather than going out to Poolewe so maybe a four hour difference.

Phil Clarke was even quicker maybe 73 : 46 but would have to check. Alan G had a consistent schedule that got him to Ullapool for the third night then he’d finish in around 4d 17hrs
redefined_cycles

https://backpackinglight.com/maceration ... ckpacking/

Not sure if this an open access article, nor if it'd be helpful to Caths situation. But seems one way of fixing it now is to fully dry out the skin and maybe apply hydrophobic balm/petrolem jellly... Like vaseline!

Thanks for the info again bob, helps greatly :-bd
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

I’m not sure that is the case. On a five day schedule (finished in 5d 2hr 30m or so) I was exactly three days to Ullapool so it was a 72 : 50 split for me.
Thanks for that. Looking at Angus’ splits his does seem closer to his halfway ascertain but a 3 day 7 hour schedule is so preposterous as to perhaps be meaningless to base anything on for the rest of us.
Polisherman

Post by Polisherman »

Met up with Annie Le at Kinlochleven this evening. She was pretty chilled, and said she was aiming to enjoy the last 50 miles.
Liz is steady away, she was super rapid for the first couple of days. I haven't spoken to her, sent a few texts. She'll likely be up at 5 tomorrow to start the Torridon bit.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

That was using the Postman’s Path rather than going out to Poolewe so maybe a four hour difference.
So the 'original' route was quite a chunk slower then, as the new route to Laggan must save a couple of hours and the new route through Torridon must be another 2 hours quicker?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

boxelder wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:21 am
That was using the Postman’s Path rather than going out to Poolewe so maybe a four hour difference.
So the 'original' route was quite a chunk slower then, as the new route to Laggan must save a couple of hours and the new route through Torridon must be another 2 hours quicker?
The route changes most years in some way or another. The current route south of Loch Lyon might be an hour or two slower than the north side. I've ridden both and the south side seemed much harder as the track is rougher and there are more burns to cross, but it was dark when I rode it so it's hard to be sure.

This years route up to Lock ma Stac looks much harder on the map but I've not ridden that bit was so don't know what it's like on the ground.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

boxelder wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:21 am
I meant that going to Poolewe is slower than the Postman’s path. Getting to Poolewe is easy but then you have the Tollie Path and a long road section

Alan changes the route most years, sometimes just for something new or for trail closures. It also means there isn’t a “route”
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

That's what I thought. So the whole FKT thing is a little irrelevant.
Well done to Phil C - strong finish.
Mart

Post by Mart »

whitestone wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:31 pm Shad, there is no grit, that’s what it feels like. I think it’s the brain just trying to make sense of a novel sensation. It can be the weave of your socks causing it or anything really.
Interesting - I had this a couple of years ago. I bought some new socks in Ullapool and it felt completely different on the foot. After that my feet were happy, although the wet and damp remained until the end.
2924 miles per Gallon
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Done at just after one. Coo what a scorcher! Actually not too bad as it was always cool and misty in the mornings. Fisherfield was totally amazing!

Go cath! :-bd
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

fatbikephil wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:44 pm Done at just after one. Coo what a scorcher! Actually not too bad as it was always cool and misty in the mornings. Fisherfield was totally amazing!

Go cath! :-bd
Nice one, congratulations :-bd
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

fatbikephil wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:44 pm Done at just after one. Coo what a scorcher! Actually not too bad as it was always cool and misty in the mornings. Fisherfield was totally amazing!
Top riding Phil, and a pleasure to meet you en route.