Brecons & Black Mountains 2 day route

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Brecons & Black Mountains 2 day route

Post by jameso »

This loop uses a few classic trails in the area and links them up in a way that worked really well for 2 of us this weekend. My riding buddy was doing his first bikepacking trip and enjoyed it. It didn't feel like a ton of climbing and had a good mix of MTB and easy gravel track terrain. 40 miles a day. Plenty of cafe/pub/shop options - the route into Talgarth and back is intended to be the evening food stop before a sunset bivi at a spot further up on the hill around Y Grib and Pen Y Grib (was windy on the ridge but sheltered just down the other side).
Around 31-32km in there's a good BW to the west that looks worth riding but there was a wildfire in the area that meant we took the road and looked for a way onto the next singletrack that didn't put us in the way of the fire crews. Plenty of other options along the route too, will go back to this one soon.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/42998244
Easy access from the head of the valleys road and NCN 8 or 46. There's also a good car park at the top of the Forest Coal Pit road (63.6km on this loop) and it'd work well as a loop if you started from there.

^ packing light like a seasoned pro! (the wildfire smoke can be seen in the distance)
^ the gardening shirt is still going strong :grin:
redefined_cycles

Re: Brecons & Black Mountains 2 day route

Post by redefined_cycles »

Gardening shirt. Wife hates mine. Lovely things ain't they. Lovely ride/pics, thanks for sharing James :-bd
jameso

Post by jameso »

It's a Shimano Transit shirt, best thing I've found for riding in warm weather. Unusual style it has to be said but who cares.. Reg called it a gardening shirt on a Chilterns ride and I thought it was 'fitting' :)
RIP

Post by RIP »

Aye it was meant as a compliment. Erm, I think :???: :wink: :grin:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
jameso

Post by jameso »

:grin: :-bd