How would you carry a bike on shoulders!?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

How would you carry a bike on shoulders!?

Post by redefined_cycles »

I've always wondered this and once someone taught me how to carey the bike upside down at the pedals. Really easy method which I forgot how! Obviously it was just to get over a gate or few.

But, how would you actually carry it for extending hiking periods! Well, this popped up (courtesy of the Restrap HT550 email) which shows this chap (assumingly not a model and supposedly in the HT550 of some sort (probably not a group start!?) and they actually have ingenious ways of carrying the bike that doesn't look as complex!

Anyone any exp of doing a similar thing. Assume it's uncomfortable or specially made/intended for bike-hike duties? The other carrying is through the Grand Canyon where I saw a shot of Lael W doing such a thing. But that's a wheels off and properly strapped type thing, so maybe a specially adapted ruck/bikepack!

For ref the NorthWales route goes via Snodonia (forgotten the proper name, soz) and the mountain range walkers/bikers rules would be followed. But if one was to say, carey the bike on the back. Would that make one a walker and not biker/biking, so shared path rules would be fine during day too?? I assume the answers no?
thenorthwind

Re: How would you carry a bike on shoulders!?

Post by thenorthwind »

I've always tended to carry it much like the gentleman in the picture, but with the top tube across my shoulders, sitting on my rucksack if I have one, and holding the bar or seatpost. Depending on the bike and rucksack, you could get it balances quite comfortably - sometimes enough that you don't need to hold it at all.

Looks from that like Restrap have made some sort of harness for carrying the bike like that? There would have to be a lot of hike a bike in the route, or it be very lightweight to warrant bringing it on a bikepacking trip. But carrying much preferable to pushing when it gets particularly steep and/or scrambly IMO.

There's another company make something for carrying a bike on the shoulders too, but I forget the name. It's a hook to attach it to a rucksack I think.

You might have seen photos of Lael Wilcox doing that race (again, I forget the name) where there's a section through a national park where bikes are strictly forbidden, and the only way to stay legal, and within the rules of the race, is to carry the bike without it touching the ground, for several 10s of kms.

Re. Snowdon, it's a voluntary "ban" and I don't think anyone would consider you to be flouting that by carrying your bike, given your clear efforts to avoid riding. TBH you could say the same about pushing - particularly on the way down, when you could clearly be riding. If someone wanted to be a d**k they might call you out for pushing up on the assumption you're about to ride down - seems unlikely, but maybe not a good look.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Arizona Trail Tace isn't it that mandates carrying across the Grand Canyon section? That's for 20 odd miles iirc so I'd want more than some nylon webbing for that.

Regarding Snowdon, I'd apply liberal amounts of Rule 1 for that. Ban or no ban if it's deserted, ride it. If it's chocka avoid like the plague (pushing, carrying or otherwise).
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm trying out the Restrap HaB harness currently. It's quite simple looking but also actually quite clever and can stay attached to you TT and deployed at will.
May the bridges you burn light your way
touch

Post by touch »

I rarely ever carry my bike and prefer to push it. Why bother taking the weight on your shoulders when it'll take it's own weight on the wheels?
Shouldering the bike also makes it more difficult for me to balance. It's fine on a decent path like in the photo but across a peat bog I often use the bike as a crutch for balancing. Also don't want to fall and either drop the bike+kit from shoulder height or have the bike land on top of me.

But maybe that's why I'm so slow at hike a bike :lol:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

upside down [ ie seat is lowest and down tube across back/rucksac]holding one pedal and the fork leg with the other hand

Usually put foam on the tube if i Know its proper HAB

As forwhy do it because you cannot push up the terrain- IME its usually easier to alternate between pushing and carrying depending on terrain but interested in the carry strap - bit pricey so waiting for reviews
redefined_cycles

Arizona Trail Tace isn't it that mandates carrying across the Grand Canyon section? That's for 20 odd miles iirc so I'd want more than some nylon webbing for that.
Yes, that's the one I saw Lael being pictured on. I think Grand Canyon has a blanket ban of no bikes (or something like that). Good point about rule1 which I believe has been stipulated by the organiser (as has been to ensure riders follow the voluntary shared agreement between walkers/cyclists).
redefined_cycles

I'm trying out the Restrap HaB harness currently. It's quite simple looking but also actually quite clever and can stay attached to you TT and deployed at will.
Thanks Stu. Hadn't realised it's actually something new they've brought out, but makes sense now how/why it's in the email :smile: Looking forward to the review... Seen it on Bikepacking now and Westbrooks have it on for £50. Not too bad (maybe).
redefined_cycles

Jon/Dave (Andy I meant - Northwind), thanks for them tips on how it can be carried with rucksack/upside down. Will try and examine your instructions and try it next time when out :-bd
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I’ve carried my bike up the three peaks. Frame strapped to small backpack. Take wheels off and use as walking poles. Ideal.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
redefined_cycles

I rarely ever carry my bike and prefer to push it. Why bother taking the weight on your shoulders when it'll take it's own weight on the wheels?
Shouldering the bike also makes it more difficult for me to balance. It's fine on a decent path like in the photo but across a peat bog I often use the bike as a crutch for balancing. Also don't want to fall and either drop the bike+kit from shoulder height or have the bike land on top of me.

But maybe that's why I'm so slow at hike a bike :lol:
Yes, good point Touch. Walking the bike is always the first option. But after walking across the Kinder plateu (which I hope to ride again, but with the HAB a bit more efficient) after a Peaks200 scratch, it's always been something of interest for me. To be honest, the Grand Canyon hike is probably what inspired me a little more (about proper hiking with lots of biking) and showing that I'm a proper walker seems sensible (in my head) on some of the longer narrower paths.

Besides, I have vertigo/heights fear so I do tend to walk some sections others would ride. Wierdo... that's me, yes :lol:
redefined_cycles

Dave Barter wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:41 pm I’ve carried my bike up the three peaks. Frame strapped to small backpack. Take wheels off and use as walking poles. Ideal.
Nice one Dave... That's the type of thing I'm thinking. Hopefully someone took some pics of the ride/walk...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I carried a fatbike plus bags up the the exit of Corrie Lair on the HT in 2015 - I took the bags off and strapped them to my camel back to make it easier - it didn't. Since then I've never had to carry my bike and my dodgy back pretty much precludes it for anything other than a short lift - so you 'push' and lift the bike up any obstacle in your way - push up, jam on brakes, drag ageing body up behind it. This of course won't be the quickest way but it's the easiest way as you are never holding up the full weight of the bike. On occasion I've adopted the trials bike technique - step up steep rocky step, holding front of bars behind you (loops bars make this easy) - turn round and grab hold of front wheel and rotate it to pull the bike up after you. There is nowt on the current HT route which needs this approach....
redefined_cycles

fatbikephil wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:32 pm I carried a fatbike plus bags up the the exit of Corrie Lair on the HT in 2015 - I took the bags off and strapped them to my camel back to make it easier - it didn't. Since then I've never had to carry my bike and my dodgy back pretty much precludes it for anything other than a short lift - so you 'push' and lift the bike up any obstacle in your way - push up, jam on brakes, drag ageing body up behind it. This of course won't be the quickest way but it's the easiest way as you are never holding up the full weight of the bike. On occasion I've adopted the trials bike technique - step up steep rocky step, holding front of bars behind you (loops bars make this easy) - turn round and grab hold of front wheel and rotate it to pull the bike up after you. There is nowt on the current HT route which needs this approach....
Thanks Phil. Shouldn't you be out trying to warm yourself up in a ditch somewhere :lol:

Yes, that approach of slam back brake, pull yourself up, then roll bike forwards... and repeat. Works well. But since I'm never gonna go to the Grand Canyon and Kinder Scout is as near I'm gonna get to such rockery, I'm really interested in repeating that there 2017/18 attempt of Peaks200. But will follow the scratched loop and walk across Kinder. Beautiful at the end where you have to climb up a narrow mountain section (or summat).
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Remember that you are suddenly adding 15kg or more to the weight that your legs are supporting and having to lift. Unless you’ve trained for it that’s going to be hard work.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

whitestone wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:09 pm Remember that you are suddenly adding 15kg or more to the weight that your legs are supporting and having to lift. Unless you’ve trained for it that’s going to be hard work.
Very good point Bob. Hadn't thought (much) about that until opening this thread. Something to ponder (and you're right).
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

touch wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:59 pm I rarely ever carry my bike and prefer to push it. Why bother taking the weight on your shoulders when it'll take
Two of my bikes are probably carried more than ridden or pushed time wise. Why? Once the terrain/mountain path/whatever is becoming awkward enough to HAB thanks to large boulders, steepness etc. I tend to throw it across my shoulders, since this is then the most economic, efficient and comfiest way to cover ground. When the terrain leans back again, I go back to HAB etc.. I carry it upside down. Downtube is rested across my shoulders. Yes, neck & shoulder can become a bit messy.

I can scramble comfortly up high alpine terrain and have one hand free. For short breaks I can balance it without using hands. Never saw the necessity of a carrying system (there've been a couple out there for some years).

For tech Alpine trips I have only about 0.5 kg of gear on the bike (mat, bivy bag), the rest is in my rucksack. The more difficult the terrain, the less weight I prefer on the bike. For eg the HT550 I used a small rucksack mainly for water, electronics and some clothes which would be in and out depending on weather. All the other gear and food on the bike.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 7:41 pm Kinder Scout
Has to be one of my favourite places on earth.
Never been with a bike though. One of those places that work better for me on foot I guess.
Could be different if I lived there.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I find on really steep and loose/bouldery/narrow terrain my (admittedly quite weedy) arms get tired pretty quickly from pushing it lifting the bike over obstacles and pulling myself up behind them. Plus you have to find two "lines", ones to roll (as far as possible, lifting if not) the bike up and one to walk on, sometimes in less than ideal footwear. Easier just to shoulder the bike and only have to think about where your feet go.
redefined_cycles

Just been to Rivelin reservoirs and Wyoming Brook (I think that's what they're called) for a walk. Definitely the lack of continuous bridle paths but lots of footpaths joining the dots, has me thinking it might be a worthy investment (the strap harness thingy).

Will put it on my other, 'to buy' list of things (bottom cup headset for forks, Revelate bar harnes, warm jacket, new hiking boots et al) when I'm not feeling too Yorkshire. Hopefully someone might sell one used soon (and after Jon has nabbed the first, I could maybe buy the second).

I know, none of that probably makes much sense, but it does have meaning :lol:
redefined_cycles

Gonna add this here (not bikepacking specific) for reference, with a vid included. https://www.mountainbikeworldwide.com/m ... ike-a-bike
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Thats what i do - though i would pushing on the bit they are carrying, I carry because its the only way or at least easier/quicker - pushing there looks way easier [ its not that steep or rocky]
redefined_cycles

Lazarus wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:44 pm Thats what i do - though i would pushing on the bit they are carrying, I carry because its the only way or at least easier/quicker - pushing there looks way easier [ its not that steep or rocky]
Very true. I've made my route which copies my bailed attempt at the Peaks ITT - my first ever big bikepacking attempt but ended up somewhere much more beautiful. You're welcome to join, but there's about 10 miles of narrow paths (kinda off grid) and hardly a soul to be seen.

Used to think it's Kinder Scout but that's of what I was walking (by about 5 miles or less... actually, I'm not sure if South or east to where I was as it disorientates me just thinking about it) through/over (Pim Chiar/Chair). So beautiful and kindof a private beach at the end to reward you. Before the hike up a mountain just before the amazing rocky descent. I'll be taking suspension this time Jon.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 4:50 pm Just been to Rivelin reservoirs and Wyoming Brook (I think that's what they're called) for a walk. Definitely the lack of continuous bridle paths but lots of footpaths joining the dots, has me thinking it might be a worthy investment (the strap harness thingy).
Plenty of good, if not quite right of way, riding round there... I live about a mile from the top of Wyming Brook, and virtually all of the paths there other than the one down the SSSI are fair game for riding
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The correct answer is of course

“Get your man-servant to carry it for you.” It doesn’t matter how awkward it is it’s his problem :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry