Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

yourguitarhero

Durston x-mid tent?

Post by yourguitarhero »

Have moved to using a trekking pole tent, this one:
https://www.rivercountryproducts.com/pr ... king-tent/

Two things I don't like about it:
The pole in the middle makes getting in and out a pain
The low height at each end means my face is close to the tent and the foot of my sleeping bag ends up against the tent wall and gets wet (I move a lot when sleeping). I use a down bag so not the best.

I do like the huge porch area and how easy it is to pitch though! And was only £50...

Been looking at. Durston tent which seems to fix these issues though at a cost, even for the standard version! And have to import etc.

Anyone used one? Are they good?
Last edited by yourguitarhero on Tue May 23, 2023 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
whitestone

Re: Duration x-mid tent?

Post by whitestone »

The reviews I’ve seen seem to suggest that the biggest problem with them is actually getting hold of one! I’m sure there are other problems.

If we didn’t already have a good two person tent then it would be my first choice. It’s actually cheaper, even when imported, than the one we have.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

I think distribution is ok now.
There is an unused one for sale locally which could save some hassle (if not any £££s)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I make a surprising (perhaps) amount of poles for them and the owners always seem quite chuffed with their tent purchase - not heard any regrets thus far.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Boab

Post by Boab »

When my Lanshan kicks the bucket, I was previously planning on replacing it with a Lunar Solo. I think it'll be hard to look past the Durston X-Mid 1 when the time comes though; for what it's worth, I don't think it's that expensive, perceived value and all that...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

The missus and I recently got one of these to take (mostly) touring and while not the lightest (1.4kg with 2 of Stu's carbon poles) it's absolutely palacial and perfect for 2 to live out of. Packs up tiny too.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/trekking- ... lsrc=aw.ds
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

Could you use a pole extendor?

I got one from Stu for my (different) tarp.

Makes a huge difference on the available space.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I have a Durston x-mid 1p... Firdt edition I believe. Been looking for the ideal tent/tarp for (since I came to this site) many years. Been through a few including the SMD Lunar Solo and Trekker Tent 1 person type thingy.

I love the Durston and would invest in the newer version in an instant. Currently there isn't really much issues getting hold as DanDurston appears to have outsourced the retail to a 3rd party seller. They appear to have a robust strategy to get em to us.

Buy one :-bd
yourguitarhero

Re: Durston x-mid tent?

Post by yourguitarhero »

Well, after mulling it over for a while I have ordered one.
Excited!
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

It arrived this morning. That was pretty quick, just under a week.
Been a busy boy today, but will test pitch tomorrow. Also got two of their carbon poles for it.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Congrats :smile:
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Got a chance to do a test pitch last night.

Very easy to get a good pitch. The Durston poles have a slider on them to adjust the final length which is nice. Only needs 4 pegs.
I like the two poles thing, gives you lots of headroom. Easy to get in and out of the tent as well.
The sleeping area inside the fly is decent size. Enough for your mat and a couple of small bags.
Good ratio of fly to porches as well, probably just right for storing your bags etc.

I like it. It packs smaller than my other tents and seems to address the issues I had with lack of height at the head and foot ends of my other trekking pole tent.
L2R24

Post by L2R24 »

@yourguitarhero
Glad you like it. Do you mind me asking how much it cost all in (poles, delivery, import charges)?

My son's currently working in Banff and planning to come back home for a few weeks in September. With Durstan being a Canadian outfit I thought he might be able to bring one back for me. Trouble is, to alleviate their supply issues they've partnered with a US company. Who knew there were steep import rates between US and Canada, plus a specific tent tax!

Buying direct from UK might be best after all.

Cheers
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

It was $454 including shipping and customs. That was with two of their poles that go with it. So, about £365.
L2R24

Post by L2R24 »

^thanks. Still a bit pricey then, but I guess if the positive reviews are anything to go by, might still be a good buy. Will be interested to hear how you get on with it after a few trips!
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Yeah, quite expensive - have to sell a couple of my other tents soon.

However, they seem to hold their value well so can get a fair bit of the cash back if necessary.

And, sometimes when you're out for a while the £££s are forgotten about if all the kit is working well
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

yourguitarhero wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:17 pm ....

And, sometimes when you're out for a while the £££s are forgotten about if all the kit is working well
True dat :cool:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

L2R24 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:49 pm ^thanks. Still a bit pricey then, but I guess if the positive reviews are anything to go by, might still be a good buy. Will be interested to hear how you get on with it after a few trips!
Not really. We've a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 and it's £500 or £565 if you want the bikepacking specific version. The MSR Hubba Bubba is only slightly cheaper at £490 with the Carbon Reflex at £450. Certainly with the Copper Spur there are a lot of panels to cut and sew along with clips, zips, etc. and that's ultimately going to cost.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

First night out in it yesterday. Not quite bikepacking as I took my little motorbike to the beach.

Very quick and easy to set up and get a good tight pitch (something I'm not always good at).
Space inside is perfect, not claustrophobic, good porch sizes. Dealt very well a heavy rain shower too, no leaks. Easy to get in and out for a pee in the night.
Very happy with it!

My pal was having all kinds of issues with his Alpkit Aeronaut. Seems to be an issue with the Schrader valve not inflating and the packraft style Boston valve doesn't have a one way flap on it. So impossible to get enough pressure.
Ended up fixing it with a randomly discarded tent pole we found on the beach!