Bargain Alert Thread

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Post by Boab »

rudedog wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 9:12 am I never understood the point of waterproof shorts, how to you stop your socks/shoes getting soaked?
Wear waterproof socks, either with in internal silicone gripper, or an external cuff. Accept that your shoes will get soaked and caked in poor show, and depending on how thick the socks are, your feet may get cold.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

May or may not be a bargain, but hopefully so... Lidl have poncho/tarps for £12, with 20% off today if you have a coupon on their app.

Looks ok, but only just got it out of the bag so not pitched yet. Weight is a bit over 500g, with no lines or pegs, so will probably be about 600 all in. Hood seems decent when I tried it on as a poncho. The tarp is about 1.5x2m flat, so will go nicely as an extra porch for my little tent or as a mini-tarp with a bivi bag I guess.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I never understood the point of waterproof shorts, how to you stop your socks/shoes getting soaked
More for when splashing through puddles and when it's wet on the ground but not raining.as my arse stays dry.
Waterproof socks or just get wet feet if proper wet but cold is the enemy not water so depends on temp
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Lazarus wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 7:54 pm
I never understood the point of waterproof shorts, how to you stop your socks/shoes getting soaked
More for when splashing through puddles and when it's wet on the ground but not raining.as my arse stays dry.
Waterproof socks or just get wet feet if proper wet but cold is the enemy not water so depends on temp
Ah ok, I have mudguards so don’t need to worry too much about a wet arse. I do wear waterproof socks but always assumed water would run down my leg and work it’s way through the cuff (if wearing shorts).
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Don't use mudguards on the FS but these generally only see summer use
Should have worn them today for this reason.
32 just cinch enough for my 30 ish " waist
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Altura Vortex luggage v cheap. It's good quality stuff, and waterproof.
https://www.altura.co.uk/sale/luggage-c4
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

boxelder wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:22 am Altura Vortex luggage v cheap. It's good quality stuff, and waterproof.
Thanks. Seat pack ordered.
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

boxelder wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:22 am Altura Vortex luggage v cheap. It's good quality stuff, and waterproof.
Nice, I've got some bags that are wearing out so ordered four from here :-bd Thanks.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

The main downside of them is the inside of the bar roll is grippy, so can be hard to pack/unpack.
Too late to mention now I guess.... :roll: :lol:
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Whoops! Thankfully only ordered one with a bar roll.
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Some exped mats and pillows on sportpursuit,
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

This... Even the longer shaft is currently at £90...

https://www.wiggle.com/p/brand-x-ascend ... C+1x+Lever

Originally brought to my attention by @lazarus for the 100mm version at £49... so many thanks to him.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/camping/te ... son-tents/

Half price tents, including:
MSR Hubba Nx @ £260
Terra Nova Quasar @ £450
Terra Nova Laser Pulse 1 @ £370
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Bearlegged wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:44 am https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/camping/te ... son-tents/

MSR Hubba Nx @ £260
Terra Nova Quasar @ £450
Thanks a lot for that... Me and my partner have been looking for a new tent and pretty much decided on the one we wanted (Coleman seem to have half a dozen identical tents with different model names) and been keeping an eye on eBay for one within budget, without luck. Just bought a new one for £250, which is a genuine bargain - would have accepted a decent second hand one for that.

Did the usual scrabbling around for old receipts to find out member card number, and was pleasantly surprised to find it didnt expire last week as is usually the case. It's a bit of an annoying system though - it doesn't make me any more loyal, just more likely to buy something elsewhere if I have to add a fiver to the price at the time :roll:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Now is the Spring of our discount tents. IGMC
redefined_cycles

thenorthwind wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:09 pm
Bearlegged wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:44 am https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/camping/te ... son-tents/

MSR Hubba Nx @ £260
Terra Nova Quasar @ £450
Thanks a lot for that... Me and my partner have been looking for a new tent and pretty much decided on the one we wanted (Coleman seem to have half a dozen identical tents with different model names) and been keeping an eye on eBay for one within budget, without luck. Just bought a new one for £250, which is a genuine bargain - would have accepted a decent second hand one for that.

Did the usual scrabbling around for old receipts to find out member card number, and was pleasantly surprised to find it didnt expire last week as is usually the case. It's a bit of an annoying system though - it doesn't make me any more loyal, just more likely to buy something elsewhere if I have to add a fiver to the price at the time :roll:
One thing to add to this Andy. If you rake a £15 yearly YHA membership you get another 10 or 15 percent off the store/card price.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

pistonbroke wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:33 pm Now is the Spring of our discount tents. IGMC
:lol:
Not quite, meteorologically speaking though :roll:
redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:56 pm One thing to add to this Andy. If you rake a £15 yearly YHA membership you get another 10 or 15 percent off the store/card price.
I wish I'd known that! I'm just going to assume that's excluded from this offer.
redefined_cycles

thenorthwind wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:55 pm
pistonbroke wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:33 pm Now is the Spring of our discount tents. IGMC
:lol:
Not quite, meteorologically speaking though :roll:
redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:56 pm One thing to add to this Andy. If you rake a £15 yearly YHA membership you get another 10 or 15 percent off the store/card price.
I wish I'd known that! I'm just going to assume that's excluded from this offer.
Sorry for bringing it up :lol:
Only remembered it as I always forget and contantly spend without the discount. Then end of year (for the sub at YHA) comes and I open up that card mag thingy. Then kick myself and say, 'next time' :grin:
atk

Post by atk »

thenorthwind wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:55 pm I wish I'd known that! I'm just going to assume that's excluded from this offer.
Full price items only IIRC.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

atk wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:46 pm
thenorthwind wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:55 pm I wish I'd known that! I'm just going to assume that's excluded from this offer.
Phew!
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

They used to be erratic with that in store as their discounting is all over the place, seem to be tightening up these days though with SD in charge
samwise

Post by samwise »

Valley & Peak have some ex demo stock available. Sierra Designs, Big Agnes, MSR etc.

You'll need to email them for an up to date list.

support@valleyandpeak.co.uk
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

riderdown wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:40 am
They used to be erratic with that in store as their discounting is all over the place, seem to be tightening up these days though with SD in charge
JD rather than SD for Go Outdoors isn't it?
redefined_cycles

https://loox.io/z/jPaUEC5kY (buy £100 of gear and another £5 off)

After the recent fast tires tread thread, gotyself some Mezcals in tubeless flavour 27.5 x 2.6 for £27. Seemed too good to be true but had a conversation with Jonny who referred me to their google maps thingy and location (it's a Warehouse next to Hawkes Cycles in Alder something).

Free delivery on all orders too and apparently they make the cheap prices by ordering worldwide, one off items. Lastly, I mentioned the Hermes issue (they've been leaving stuff outside my door and claiming its delivered with a pic of the door closed). These lot are using Royal Mail or the other regular delivery companies like DHL etc..

https://sportandleisure.com/products/vi ... 4623979674