Get off the f#=÷*^ pavement

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rasta

Get off the f#=÷*^ pavement

Post by Rasta »

On the BBC today. A woman gets 3 years for the death of a cyclist.
Watching the video clip, I really can't see why. Although obviously, if she wasn't there, it wouldn't have happened.

And the council still can't confirm if it is a shared ped/cycle path. Very clear that it isn't. Something dodgy there.

Funny to see the cyclist race past the journalist.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Get off the f#=÷*^ pavement

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Was this the woman who shouted at a cyclist 'causing' her to topple off into the road / cars? If so, I can't help thinking the woman in question perhaps didn't seem quite 'right'. All very unfortunate and no winners.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

She has mental issues. So, yes, she isn't quite right. BBC news website shows the actual incident on video.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-c ... e-65645364
Last edited by Rasta on Fri May 19, 2023 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I saw that - looked like a particularly unfortunate case of a couple of people being in the wrong place at the wrong time, which is usually case in such circumstances, sadly...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Looks to me like a pedestrian pushes/knocks a person into the road who ends up dead- which is also what the court case and appeal thought
All very unfortunate and no winners.
there is definitely a very clear loser here and its the one no longer alive
Last edited by Lazarus on Fri May 19, 2023 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
psling

Post by psling »

Rasta wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:22 pm On the BBC today. A woman gets 3 years for the death of a cyclist.
Watching the video clip, I really can't see why. Although obviously, if she wasn't there, it wouldn't have happened.

And the council still can't confirm if it is a shared ped/cycle path. Very clear that it isn't. Something dodgy there.
Interesting comments from one of the investigating police officers:

Det Sgt Dollard, who interviewed Grey, told BBC Radio Cambridgeshire: "I'll always remember the morning after it occurred obtaining the CCTV and watching it in its entirety.

"In all honesty it's horrific and not appropriate for wider release to the public, but, if it were, then I think a lot of the arguments in relation to appropriate responses would be null and void."

He added that there were "considerations in relation to Auriol Grey's vulnerability" in their investigation.

"A lot of medical records... professional expert evidence was sought and presented to a jury, it's important to note, and with all that, in fact, she was found guilty of an unlawful act and that is why she was convicted," he said.

Det Sgt Mark Dollard said there were "no winners and losers" in a case like this
He said "what [Grey] did was wrong but ultimately that will not bring Celia back", and he did not believe her family "take any pleasure in the fact that a sentence was passed".

"I certainly urge people to think twice about commenting in relation to this case when they're not in possession of all the facts," the detective said.

"I've seen a number of ill-informed comments on various messaging sites as well and it's not helpful to anyone."
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

"I certainly urge people to think twice about commenting in relation to this case when they're not in possession of all the facts," the detective said.

"I've seen a number of ill-informed comments on various messaging sites as well and it's not helpful to anyone."
Probably the most important thing written in this thread
touch

Post by touch »

Rasta wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:22 pm And the council still can't confirm if it is a shared ped/cycle path. Very clear that it isn't. Something dodgy there.
What makes it so clear that it's not a shared use path?

After passing the shared use sign here: https://goo.gl/maps/iEkdZTdsG9mzHP8SA (about 370 metres before), at what point does the path cease to be shared use?
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

It probably the legal work declaring it is not just a pedestrian pavement ...but now a cycle way & mixed use...
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

ledburner wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:14 pm It probably the legal work declaring it is not just a pedestrian pavement ...but now a cycle way & mixed use...
...and the irrelevance and distraction from the fact that even if it was purely pedestrian the response to a cyclist using it was disproportionate.