Bargain Alert Thread

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

voodoo_simon

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Post by voodoo_simon »

GregMay wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:16 am While I still despise the name, I really do rate my Warroad. It's an excellent do it all bike. I probably ride it more than my Cutthroat these days.
Agreed except I don’t have a cutthroat to compare it to.

Really impressed with the 650b flavour (it’s also replaced my road bike)
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg (230.49 KiB) Viewed 3814 times
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Warbird owner and I love mine , good for road and 44 mm tyres ( with mudguards ) . Also never tried a cutthroat
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Also never tried a cutthroat
I bought one off here, put a dropper on it and got round BB200 last year surprisingly well
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I've got a Warroad and Cutthroat and the Warroad probably does get more use (in number of rides undertaken) distance wise the Cutty probably still has the lead. If I could only have one it would be the Warroad, but the Cutty could take you on a better ride! :wink:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Agreed.

My Cutty does have that extra special TDR bond that I have with it though.

Can't fault anything about the Warroad. 650b for fun, 700 for audaxing....kinda fun ;)
RIP

Post by RIP »

Dash4it now forty-five% off all OS maps. Code OS45. Slightly late for WRT but still....

http://www.dash4it.co.uk
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

There's some Exped stuff reduced on Sportpursuit, no Synmats or Downmats so maybe of limited interest here but they do have inflatable pillows if anyone's looking for one.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

https://www.altura.co.uk/search/ridge-tier
black, navy and dark orange
Waterproof shorts reduced from £80 to £32

Size 32.5 waist and over
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

Lazarus wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 6:12 pm https://www.altura.co.uk/search/ridge-tier

Size 32.5 waist and over
I have some. Bought them for, and wore them a lot at, WRT and they were a godsend. I don't think they'd go over MTB shorts but I just wore 3/4's and they're super comfortable, long in the knee area and not too rustly.
I love 'em
whonickedmename

Post by whonickedmename »

Selcof / Sonder Confucious bars on offer for £14.99 at PX:
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HBSELAD/s ... -handlebar
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

whonickedmename wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:06 pm Selcof / Sonder Confucious bars on offer for £14.99 at PX:
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HBSELAD/s ... -handlebar
Looks like you may be able to get an extra 10% with code PXCS2310
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Lazarus wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 6:12 pm https://www.altura.co.uk/search/ridge-tier

Size 32.5 waist and over
I just got a pair as well and out the bag they seem great! Size Large fits my 34" waist and fat ass very well. They seem much less waterproofy feeling than the Madison waterproof shorts that I've used previously which are more like overshorts. These are just like a pair of nice riding shorts that happen to be (hopefully) waterproof.
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Jurassic wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:46 pm

Size 32.5 waist and over
I just got a pair as well and out the bag they seem great! Size Large fits my 34" waist and fat ass very well. They seem much less waterproofy feeling than the Madison waterproof shorts that I've used previously which are more like overshorts. These are just like a pair of nice riding shorts that happen to be (hopefully) waterproof.
Are they compact/packable as an emergency layer? or more like something you'd leave the house in and keep on all day? Weight/packsize would be useful if you get bored :grin:
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Johnallan wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:51 pm

Size 32.5 waist and over
Are they compact/packable as an emergency layer? or more like something you'd leave the house in and keep on all day? Weight/packsize would be useful if you get bored :grin:
I'd say they're more of a wear them on a wet day shorts than packable overshorts tbh (although they're not hugely heavy or bulky). Just weighed them and they're 205grams and pack about the size of a can of Coke.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I just got a pair as well
SULKS I ordered mine before putting it on here and yet to get them
Are they compact/packable as an emergency layer?
Personally i just wear waterproofs shorts as my default for multi day rides as a wet arse is not pleasant* and they tend to be no more or no less weighty /sweaty than any other MTB pant

glad the Bargain was useful....just not so sure the 32" will cinch up small enough for my smaller waist
* The weight weenie wants to say its a weight saving over normal shorts and a mudguard :oops:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Which road is that Simon? I don't recognise it. Planning another ride through Wales at the mo. Cheers..
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

jameso wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:07 pm
Which road is that Simon? I don't recognise it. Planning another ride through Wales at the mo. Cheers..
It goes from Lake Vyrnwy to the Bwlch Y Groes, it’s called Waun Y Gadfa

Photo taken just past the cattle grid looking towards Bwlch Y Groes
Attachments
IMG_4903.jpeg
IMG_4903.jpeg (125.59 KiB) Viewed 2989 times
jameso

Post by jameso »

:-bd 10/10 for answer detail. I should recognise it as I was there last summer. Went up from Vyrnwy to descend the Bwlch, it's a lovely road.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

jameso wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:47 pm :-bd 10/10 for answer detail. I should recognise it as I was there last summer. Went up from Vyrnwy to descend the Bwlch, it's a lovely road.
It is! I don’t normally stop on climbs but I kept stopping in this one to take in the views, was stunning
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

jameso wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:47 pm :-bd 10/10 for answer detail. I should recognise it as I was there last summer. Went up from Vyrnwy to descend the Bwlch, it's a lovely road.
We did it from Vyrnwy on WRT '18 ... jeez that's a loooong climb and a damn fast descent if you turn left at the end towards Mach :shock: :shock: :shock:
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Jurassic wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:57 pm
Johnallan wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:51 pm

Size 32.5 waist and over
I'd say they're more of a wear them on a wet day shorts than packable overshorts tbh (although they're not hugely heavy or bulky). Just weighed them and they're 205grams and pack about the size of a can of Coke.
Perfect, thank you :-bd
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Size 32.5 waist and over
I never understood the point of waterproof shorts, how to you stop your socks/shoes getting soaked?
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

rudedog wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 9:12 am

Size 32.5 waist and over
I never understood the point of waterproof shorts, how to you stop your socks/shoes getting soaked?
You don't.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Jurassic wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:03 am

Size 32.5 waist and over
You don't.
In a full in rain storm, then as stated, you don’t. Those days when the rain is bouncing off the road, they don’t work. For commuting waterproof trousers were the better option but off road, shorts seem to work well. Great for anytime of the year but three seasons (spring, summer, autumn) they work best, wear bibs or 3/4s underneath and you’ll be grand.

They’re great for keeping your bum area dry and clean, which sounds daft but it does make riding more comfortable. I’ll often use waterproof shorts the day after heavy rain as it makes riding more pleasant.

Plus, with them being shorts, you don’t overheat as quick either
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:15 am
Jurassic wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:03 am

Size 32.5 waist and over
You don't.
In a full in rain storm, then as stated, you don’t. Those days when the rain is bouncing off the road, they don’t work. For commuting waterproof trousers were the better option but off road, shorts seem to work well. Great for anytime of the year but three seasons (spring, summer, autumn) they work best, wear bibs or 3/4s underneath and you’ll be grand.

They’re great for keeping your bum area dry and clean, which sounds daft but it does make riding more comfortable. I’ll often use waterproof shorts the day after heavy rain as it makes riding more pleasant.

Plus, with them being shorts, you don’t overheat as quick either
Yeah, the shorts are a summer option for me when I can accept having wet feet. In winter it's full length waterproofs and either long Sealskins socks (if I'm riding flats) or my Shimano Goretex boots (if I'm riding SPD). FWIW the Shimano boots aren't particularly good at keeping water out despite their high price and I wouldn't buy them again.