All night lights

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RichA

All night lights

Post by RichA »

Hi, I am shortly going on (my first) bike packing adventure (GB Escapades) which I anticipate may include riding through the night. The terrain is North / South Downs Way so not just roads; but not especially technical.

I am looking for a new light set up that can do the job. Ideally without a huge expenditure.

What Lumens / Mah combo is recommended? Assuming no light will be sufficient for 8hrs (9pm Sunset - 5am Sunrise); can any lights can be charged on the go via a USB powerbank?

So far I have been looking at Knog Pwr Trail 1100 and the Lifleline Pavo 1400/1800. But not I'm not sure whether any of these would meet the requirements.

Any recommendations?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: All night lights

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've done a few all nighters with only an (oldish) Joystick. You likely need less output than you think unless you're riding with people who possess greater firepower than you, in which case you'll find yourself riding in shadow.

I know most Exposure lights can use a piggyback battery to extend run time but not sure about those you've listed.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

If those lights you have mentioned have a low setting that is about 400 lumens then that's what you want for climbing and flat riding sub-10mph. Find out the run times in this low setting, probably the kind of time you need.

For descents either use the higher settings and manage your run times accordingly or, better still because you have a backup light if the main one fails, bring a second smaller light that you can use for a few minutes here and there on descents and leave the main light in low.

Or like many on here spend £300+ on Exposure lights. :roll:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Hi Rich. I'd say to grab a couple of the cateye ammp in 400 or500.. the 400 lasts me 3 hours in mixed output, and they're usb chargeable. So for about £60 and a good powerbank you'll be fine all night.

I compared my AMMP in Wales to my Exposure (side by side) Strada/Toros. The cateye had mych better useable spread on low settings...
jameso

Post by jameso »

I'd agree that you don't need a lot of lumens for road or gravel riding. 400 lumens would do it, I'll often ride on 200-250l for a while and let my eyes adjust. If the roads are wet more power isn't a bad thing but generally 300-500L with a boost for descents is fine.
Or like many on here spend £300+ on Exposure lights.
Mine were less than that (Strada 600) but I can't rely on the output hours on the display, no bearing to real time or battery drain rate at all.. It's a kind of tension-inducing guesswork that I really don't miss when riding my other bike that has a dynamo. The boost cable and battery line-in ability is useful though.

From burn time on the stock battery capacity you can work out how much you'd need in a powerbank, giving yourself maybe +25% capacity to be sure.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

jameso wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 1:22 pm
Or like many on here spend £300+ on Exposure lights.
Mine were less than that (Strada 600) but I can't rely on the output hours on the display, no bearing to real time or battery drain rate at all.. It's a kind of tension-inducing guesswork...
My Mk6 Strada filled with rainwater for the final time in January so I sprung £200 for a Mk11? and the run times are a lot more trust worthy, and 24hour low setting more than useable for dry roads and slow trails overnight.

However, it's strung under my Garmin outfront mount so I can't actually see the run time left et voila, a stress removed from my life. Sort of like Zaphod Beebelbrox's glasses that go black at the first sign of danger to stop him from worrying.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Hmm so why after a return and firmware work is mine so hopeless in that respect.. idk. I think it's a mk 6 also. Both exposure lights I've had have been back more than once so now I've just accepted it because the other features are useful. I like the glasses idea, if I could remove the countdown and just had the green amber red lights I'd be happier :)
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Dyffers wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 12:24 pm Or like many on here spend £300+ on Exposure lights. :roll:
That’s me :-bd

To be fair, when I bought them I didn’t have a car and I commuted 5 days a week by bicycle in all weathers and this was the only brand that didn’t fail on me in all my commuting years (15 or so)

Brands that did fail were
-BLT (doubt they still exist)
- Hope (front)
-Topeak HID thingy (I do like their stuff though)
-Chinese imported lights
-Bontrager (the rear is still going strong though)
-Moon (rear only)

My exposure joysticks lasted and lasted and lasted, so then bought a bigger one (I forget it’s name) a few years later and not been disappointed with them.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Quite good timing for this topic to come up. Yesterday morning at 6am I started a 450km gravel race from Barcelona to Valencia, given the tough terrain and 4,000m of climbing, I'd set myself a target of an overall average speed of 20kph, so 22+ hours of riding. Darkness falls quite quickly at 9.15 at this time of year so looking at 7ish hours of darkness. I was using a Raveman light on the bars which on the 3rd setting promised 81/2 hour runtime which I was supplementing with an old Joystick on my helmet. Unfortunately as soon as darkness fell I entered a very rough and rocky section and was confronted by 2 enormous wild boar which scuttled off into the darkness. The lights were proving inadequate and I was worried about hitting a rock and damaging the bike or myself. I persevered but by 11pm the lack of light depth and continuous pin balling along the trail was doing my head in so I decided to stop and sleep a bit. A bit ended up as 6 hours stopped which dropped me from 5th to 14th place. Got going about an hour before first light at 6.30 and once I could see where I was going, my speed compared to those who had plodded on though the night was much better and I managed to overtake 6 in the last 100km so finished 8th. Looking at the splits, I came in first of the sleepers but it was a lesson learned that you can't have too much light capacity, especially at 63 with macular degeneration. Don't listen to those who claim to ride hard off road with a candle strapped to the bars, get the most you can afford.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

A Joystick on it's lowest setting has always been fine for me, tbf I do most of my night riding in the Peaks with that too. It's very rare I'll put the light up to a higher setting either racing or riding for fun.
redefined_cycles

Oh... and recently Rudedog on here suggested a version of this https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/acces ... d800bb3781

I got it as an alternative to a Joystick and have had many hours out of it. Usb (C) chargeable aswell and I've attached it with the mount and some VHB by 3M (think GoPro) to my helmet. It's very good...

Biggest secret of it is that you can put it into the lower setting and then tune it down. Lasts absolutely ages to see into the depths of the forests/trees/left n right... It's very good :grin:
Boab

Post by Boab »

I have an Exposure Strada on the bars and a Diabo on the helmet. If I'm out for a while, then I'll put both on program two, and the middle power setting, only using the Diablo when I'm off road. If it's a slow up hill, or a push, then the Strada gets turned down to the lowest setting. If It's a fast descent, then I'll bump either the Diablo, or both up to full whack. I do get battery anxiety, but have never actually run out.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

I've been running either 1 or 2 Alpkit Bosons on my bars (both bought on sale for <£25 each) and an Alpkit quark on my helmet. Nothing flashy and both run charge off microUSB (ewww) but with some brightness tweaking it will last as long as you need and allow you to see as much as you want.

Not a wholehearted recommendation but a solid budget option.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Couple of these should do it and a battery pack if you're really going for a winter all nighter:

https://www.raleigh.co.uk/gb/en/moon-vo ... ike-light/

Bit of a bargain for £25 I reckon.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Good Light that as I have one as back up ( the bracket alone costs a tenner as I lost mine ) and it's run times are pretty good and it's a good spread for both off and on road . Not quite exposure standards but it's insanely cheap at that price.
Kuman

Post by Kuman »

I have tried a few different lights over the years but Exposure has never let me down.
My 6years old Maxx D can still do 24hrs on low setting.
Instagram (mainly bike stuff) https://www.instagram.com/dizzy_cyclist/
JackT

Post by JackT »

Anyone using a Fenix torch?

Quite a few of them run on a replaceable rechargeable 18650 battery, which makes sense for long durations, compared to a built in battery that requires recharging. Have often wondered how the beam pattern of these torches differs from the much beloved Exposure Joystick.
redefined_cycles

Anyone using a Fenix torch?

Quite a few of them run on a replaceable rechargeable 18650 battery, which makes sense for long durations, compared to a built in battery that requires recharging. Have often wondered how the beam pattern of these torches differs from the much beloved Exposure Joystick.
I've been using the Nitecore versions for the best part of 6 years with a similar one before that. Got one thay is usb rechargeable and the other that takes the 18650 batteries (both have the batteries replaceable/removable/rechargeable) but since getting an Exposure a couple of years ago (and the Cateye AMMP with it's excellent beam spread) I've gone off the gun-light types. Mainly cos the beam is too focused, but still, they've seen me through plenty of 24/48 hour rides :smile:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

May the bridges you burn light your way
JackT

Post by JackT »

Sounds like once the battery had been replaced, the main shortcoming was the weight.

This £68 Fenix model comes in at 115g, so still 20g more than a Joystick, with the same 3500mAh battery.

https://www.myfenix.co.uk/product/fenix-e28r-1707

Advantages: battery is replaceable, cheaper
Possible disadvantage: narrower beam pattern.

While on the subject of Fenix (and I have no connection) the BCM30 v2 is sold as a bike light and seems popular with the audax brigade. Has some sort of lens for anti-dazzle beam cutoff, though a lens isn't as effective as a beam-shaping mirror found in B&M lights aimed at the road/utility cycling market. A potentially useful feature is a remote control switch so you can change between brightness settings without having to reach for the light itself.

For sheer value, it looks hard to beat the discounted Moon Vortex models mentioned already. Some of them used to have user-replaceable batteries but there are a bunch of slightly different models out there and some of them have built-in batteries.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

*looks at Mk1 Joystick*

Still works fine.

*looks at Mk1 Race*

Still works fine..

There is a reason some of us have spent money on our Exposure lights.

Buy once. Buy well.
JackT

Post by JackT »

GregMay wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:54 pm *looks at Mk1 Joystick*

Still works fine.

*looks at Mk1 Race*

Still works fine..

There is a reason some of us have spent money on our Exposure lights.

Buy once. Buy well.
No doubt for what they do they're unsurpassed. But they are pricey and they don't have replaceable batteries, which may be a factor if on a long ride without an opportunity to recharge.
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

I use an Exposure Strada mainly these days as I love being able to dip my lights for cars using the thumb blipper. Add duration with 10ah power banks. They're only about £15 each. Put them in sandwich bags to weatherproof them.

Alternatively I've got a Hope r4 with a monster 6 cell battery pack.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Most points have been covered:

adjust power output to match terrain and also maximise battery life
Use enough power to actually see.
Have both a bar mounted and helmet mounted light to avoid deep shadows. Generally the bar light is a flood beam while the helmet light is closer to a spot beam.

Battery usage/life can vary wildly - I used half the charge in a Joystick for the whole of the HT550 but have flattened one system (Hope) and nearly flattened the Joystick on the BB200. But then you've nearly 20hrs of daylight on the HT and less than 12hrs when doing the BB200.

Also practice with what you intend to use - no use thinking you'll use the lowest setting on a unit if you can't ride with it or it causes excessive eye strain. Do some local loops at night and experiment.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

JackT wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:15 pm]
No doubt for what they do they're unsurpassed. But they are pricey and they don't have replaceable batteries, which may be a factor if on a long ride without an opportunity to recharge.
The exposure lights come with a usb charge cable so I can charge it from a power bank mid-ride, possibly even whilst the light is on.